Question about service

Im currently on rogers and have no real complaints, but wen I saw that I can
have unlimited calling for $45 with fido, ive been tempted to switch. What
I want to know is how good is fidos reception and coverage? I reside in
Toronto and rarly travel. But what I need is good reception indoors or out.

Can someone on this plan fill me in. Is it worth 45$ a month, or should I
just stay with Rogers?

-Do not email me, respond to the group
9 answers Last reply
More about question service

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:17:39 -0400, "Michael" <3y3work@rogers.com>
    wrote:

    >Im currently on rogers and have no real complaints, but wen I saw that I can
    >have unlimited calling for $45 with fido, ive been tempted to switch. What
    >I want to know is how good is fidos reception and coverage? I reside in
    >Toronto and rarly travel. But what I need is good reception indoors or out.

    The question of is the coverage good can only be determined by you
    since reception will vary widely from one area to another. Even a few
    blocks difference can mean the difference between a useable signal and
    one that isn't. IIRC they have a trial period during which you can
    see if the service is appropriate for you. If it's not just return
    the phone and cancel the service. No one save someone who lives in
    your building can tell you how service is where you need it.

    Michael wrote:
    > have unlimited calling for $45 with fido, ive been tempted to switch. What
    > I want to know is how good is fidos reception and coverage? I reside in
    > Toronto and rarly travel. But what I need is good reception indoors or out.

    Fido allows you to test drive their service for a couple of weeks (used to be
    a full month). So that is the best and only way to know if Fido's coverage
    will fit your specific needs at your specific location. It is generally agreed
    that Fido's covberage, while not as large as that of Rogers, is of much higher quality.

    The $45 deal is pretty good. However, it is falsely advertised as unlimited.
    There is a 5000 minute "soft" limit on it. If you use more than 5000 minutes,
    Fido reserves the right to do something (undefined). Could be a letter, could
    be a slap on the wrist, could be castration of your vocal cords. However, I
    don't believe that they can charge you extra because the rates would have to
    be specified. (but when you do your math, you'll find that 5000 minutes per
    month is EXTREMELY generous unless you are an insomniac who spends all day on
    conference calls).

    It is a smart move for you to do because you will continue to benefit for
    Fido's better rates after Rogers has purchased Fido for some time and you'll
    get treated like a king by Fido for switching to Fido, and then Rogers will
    tempt you with other specials to get you back to a Rogers plan in a year or two.

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:29:04 -0400, JF Mezei
    <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

    >The $45 deal is pretty good. However, it is falsely advertised as unlimited.
    >There is a 5000 minute "soft" limit on it. If you use more than 5000 minutes,
    >Fido reserves the right to do something (undefined).

    I believe this was true at the outset, but IIRC there is no soft limit
    any longer, but even so you'd have to have the phone virtually
    implanted to spend that much time on the phone. I don't know how
    someone could be on the phone non-stop 24 hours a day. Does anyone
    really spend 43,200 minutes a month on the phone?

    Joseph wrote:
    > I believe this was true at the outset, but IIRC there is no soft limit
    > any longer, but even so you'd have to have the phone virtually
    > implanted to spend that much time on the phone.

    Well, I got a pamphlet describing the imposition of those soft 5000 limits for
    local airtime and 2500 minutes for "unlimited long distance" some months ago,
    and got no pamphlets explaining that those limits had been widthdrawn.

    Yes, the 5000 limit is quite reasonable. But to me, unless I see some official
    statement from Fido, the pamhlet they sent to all subscribers is still in effect.

    JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in alt.cellular.fido:

    > The $45 deal is pretty good. However, it is falsely advertised as
    > unlimited. There is a 5000 minute "soft" limit on it. If you use more
    > than 5000 minutes, Fido reserves the right to do something
    > (undefined).

    I think this cap was put in place in the beginning. However, I understand
    they no longer have it due to complaints about it not being truly
    "unlimited".

    --
    Mason Storm

    -----------------------------
    Remove "dogface" to reply privately in email.
    -----------------------------
    http://ciudad.latinol.com//boinks/booters.html
    -----------------------------

    All the commercials I've seen stated, in small letters, "Subject to Fido's
    Fair Use Policy" whenever they say unlimited for anything.

    GM

    "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
    > Joseph wrote:
    >> I believe this was true at the outset, but IIRC there is no soft limit
    >> any longer, but even so you'd have to have the phone virtually
    >> implanted to spend that much time on the phone.
    >
    > Well, I got a pamphlet describing the imposition of those soft 5000 limits
    > for
    > local airtime and 2500 minutes for "unlimited long distance" some months
    > ago,
    > and got no pamphlets explaining that those limits had been widthdrawn.
    >
    > Yes, the 5000 limit is quite reasonable. But to me, unless I see some
    > official
    > statement from Fido, the pamhlet they sent to all subscribers is still in
    > effect.

    I subscribe to Fido's "unlimited" GPRS and there is a limit under
    their fair use policy. I believe that the limit is 1GB which is more
    than sufficient for me. In fact, my home cable internet usage rarely
    goes above 1GB.

    I also subscribe to the "unlimited" incoming call plan from Fido and
    they also impose a fair use clause/policy on this as well. I'm not
    exactly sure what this limit is but it is a fairly large value (above
    1000 minutes) for my needs (I rarely use my cellphone for more than
    400 minutes in a given month and most of my calls are incoming calls).

    I don't have an issue with companys using "fair use policies" as long
    as they are clearly stated with reasonable values and if you are on a
    contract with the company when they implement it, you are either given
    the old value or you are given the choice of cancelling your contract
    without penalty.

    /Jim

    Jim Poon wrote:
    > I don't have an issue with companys using "fair use policies" as long
    > as they are clearly stated with reasonable values

    Yes, but would you consider a huge billboard announcing unlimited incoming
    calls with "small text" so small that even a pedestrioan can't read it when he
    stops to try to be "clearly stated". ?

    Remember than when City Fido launched, it was *unlimited*. They added the
    "fair use policy" a couple months later (and applied it as well to other
    unlimited packages such as long distance.

    Fid had no problems advertuising the new $45 rate (remember that it launched
    at $40). So why did t have problems advertising its fair use policy ?

    > Remember than when City Fido launched, it was *unlimited*. They added the
    > "fair use policy" a couple months later (and applied it as well to other
    > unlimited packages such as long distance.

    Fair use has been in place with CF since day one..

Fido Rogers Internet Service Providers