Hijacked by AntiVirus Gold

May 25, 2005 8:11:34 AM

Earlier today, my main computer was hi-jacked by Antivirus Gold. I
can uninstall it, but it returns immediately upon reboot. Try as I
might, I cannot get rid of it. It's taken over my desktop and
will not allow me to change it, constant black background with a huge
"Buy Me" advertisement.

It seems to behave like Spyware, but Microsoft's beta spyware
detection and removal utility doesn't know about this and fails to see
it. In fact, none of my housekeeping utilities, including SpyBot,
AdAware, Registry FirstAid, etc., see it or remove it.

It won't leave me alone, constantly popping up with warning messages
urging me to buy.

At the same time this happened, 3 virus did invade my computer,
notwithstanding the presence of my SMC Barricade Router:

sysupd.dll
delprot.sys
edmond.exe

My Norton Anti-Virus detects and removes them following reboot. But
upon the next reboot, these 3 infected files have somehow been
restored and are still there. After Norton has done its thing, a
file search fails to find them, confirming deletion. But they keep
coming back.

I have a sinking feeling that this Antivirus Gold utility deliberately
planted these viruses, and will not allow them to be permanently
removed until I pay for it. Ugly, ugly, ugly...... :-(

Suggestions on how to get rid of Antivirus Gold and these 3 virus
would be appreciated. It somehow got itself installed without my
knowledge or concurrence. I already have Norton Anti-Virus which
until now has served me well.

I'm running WinXP Home, fully updated, including Microsoft AntiSpyware
beta 1.

Regards,

Terry Smythe
Winnipeg, Canada
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 8:11:35 AM

The top anti-spyware program is Webroot Spysweeper. Its real time
protection is buggy as hell, but its scanner is the best.

You also might try TDS-3, which is antitrojan software. You never know how
what you are dealing with is classified. The fact that there are pieces of
this thing that cannot be deleted and restore the orignal program indicate
it is behaving an awful lot like an advanced trojan.

Both programs have legitimate trial versions.

What in the hell were you doing installing some off-brand anti-virus
software? Never install anything that isn't on Virus Bulletin's approved
list. The two universal choice of anti-virus software by knowledgeable
people are Kaspersky and Eset NOD32.

"Terry Smythe" <smythe@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Earlier today, my main computer was hi-jacked by Antivirus Gold. I
> can uninstall it, but it returns immediately upon reboot. Try as I
> might, I cannot get rid of it. It's taken over my desktop and
> will not allow me to change it, constant black background with a huge
> "Buy Me" advertisement.
>
> It seems to behave like Spyware, but Microsoft's beta spyware
> detection and removal utility doesn't know about this and fails to see
> it. In fact, none of my housekeeping utilities, including SpyBot,
> AdAware, Registry FirstAid, etc., see it or remove it.
>
> It won't leave me alone, constantly popping up with warning messages
> urging me to buy.
>
> At the same time this happened, 3 virus did invade my computer,
> notwithstanding the presence of my SMC Barricade Router:
>
> sysupd.dll
> delprot.sys
> edmond.exe
>
> My Norton Anti-Virus detects and removes them following reboot. But
> upon the next reboot, these 3 infected files have somehow been
> restored and are still there. After Norton has done its thing, a
> file search fails to find them, confirming deletion. But they keep
> coming back.
>
> I have a sinking feeling that this Antivirus Gold utility deliberately
> planted these viruses, and will not allow them to be permanently
> removed until I pay for it. Ugly, ugly, ugly...... :-(
>
> Suggestions on how to get rid of Antivirus Gold and these 3 virus
> would be appreciated. It somehow got itself installed without my
> knowledge or concurrence. I already have Norton Anti-Virus which
> until now has served me well.
>
> I'm running WinXP Home, fully updated, including Microsoft AntiSpyware
> beta 1.
>
> Regards,
>
> Terry Smythe
> Winnipeg, Canada

May 25, 2005 3:35:50 PM

A list of what to do to ensure viruses, spyware, and adware off of your
computer.
1.. Don't use Internet Explorer, use Firefox. <---- Dont boot me for this
2.. Turn off system restore and reboot.
3.. Scan online for free at
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.as... and
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?productid=s....
4.. Download "Spybot Search and Destory", Ad-Aware SE, Spywareblaster, and
Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta. All of these are freeware. Then run each in
turn.
5.. Reboot computer and turn back on system restore.
Locke

"Terry Smythe" <smythe@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Earlier today, my main computer was hi-jacked by Antivirus Gold. I
> can uninstall it, but it returns immediately upon reboot. Try as I
> might, I cannot get rid of it. It's taken over my desktop and
> will not allow me to change it, constant black background with a huge
> "Buy Me" advertisement.
>
> It seems to behave like Spyware, but Microsoft's beta spyware
> detection and removal utility doesn't know about this and fails to see
> it. In fact, none of my housekeeping utilities, including SpyBot,
> AdAware, Registry FirstAid, etc., see it or remove it.
>
> It won't leave me alone, constantly popping up with warning messages
> urging me to buy.
>
> At the same time this happened, 3 virus did invade my computer,
> notwithstanding the presence of my SMC Barricade Router:
>
> sysupd.dll
> delprot.sys
> edmond.exe
>
> My Norton Anti-Virus detects and removes them following reboot. But
> upon the next reboot, these 3 infected files have somehow been
> restored and are still there. After Norton has done its thing, a
> file search fails to find them, confirming deletion. But they keep
> coming back.
>
> I have a sinking feeling that this Antivirus Gold utility deliberately
> planted these viruses, and will not allow them to be permanently
> removed until I pay for it. Ugly, ugly, ugly...... :-(
>
> Suggestions on how to get rid of Antivirus Gold and these 3 virus
> would be appreciated. It somehow got itself installed without my
> knowledge or concurrence. I already have Norton Anti-Virus which
> until now has served me well.
>
> I'm running WinXP Home, fully updated, including Microsoft AntiSpyware
> beta 1.
>
> Regards,
>
> Terry Smythe
> Winnipeg, Canada

May 25, 2005 7:28:53 PM

"Locke" <this@that.com> wrote in message
>A list of what to do to ensure viruses, spyware, and adware off of your
>computer.
> 1.. Don't use Internet Explorer, use Firefox. <---- Dont boot me for
> this

In the future this might be a good idea but it won't get the junk off of his
computer now.

> 3.. Scan online for free at
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.as... and
> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?productid=s....
> 4.. Download "Spybot Search and Destory", Ad-Aware SE, Spywareblaster,
> and Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta. All of these are freeware. Then run each
> in turn.
He's already mentioned that he's run those. Sometimes the freeware doesn't
cut it. And those online scanners are really worthless!
May 25, 2005 7:28:54 PM

That's true but the good thing about using something like the Trend
Micro is that it isn't corrupted by your virus so there is a chance that it
might find the virus that Norton might not. Also you have to remember to
turn off the System Restore anytime something has infected the computer to
have it truly removed. That list I posted is just a good to know list for
some of the items and suggestions to remove infections for the rest.

Locke

"Mister Scary" <daniel_newhouse@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Locke" <this@that.com> wrote in message
>>A list of what to do to ensure viruses, spyware, and adware off of your
>>computer.
>> 1.. Don't use Internet Explorer, use Firefox. <---- Dont boot me for
>> this
>
> In the future this might be a good idea but it won't get the junk off of
> his computer now.
>
>> 3.. Scan online for free at
>> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.as... and
>> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?productid=s....
>> 4.. Download "Spybot Search and Destory", Ad-Aware SE, Spywareblaster,
>> and Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta. All of these are freeware. Then run
>> each in turn.
> He's already mentioned that he's run those. Sometimes the freeware
> doesn't cut it. And those online scanners are really worthless!

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 11:49:59 PM

I have now verified that my desktop has been hijacked by
"desktop.html" It resides in c:\windows I've tried
deleting it and editing it, but can't get rid of it. Keeps coming
back from somewhere, no matter what I do.

It has imbedded within it a command to visit the Antivirus Gold web
site. It appears to be extremely malicious marketing, planting 3
virus that only it can remove, and itself. Its message is, 'if you
want to remove these virus, then buy me'

A search for this file on my computer reveals only 1 copy. If I
delete it, it is replaced upon reboot. If I edit it, it is replaced
upon reboot.

A 'net search suggests an incredibly convoluted procedure for getting
rid of it. Surely there must be an easier way.

Along with SpyBot, AdAware, Microsoft's new parasite detector/remover
fails to see it. They see all kinds of things, but won't touch this
one. Registry First Aid finds only a single entry, deletes it, and
upon reboot, it's back again. It's not in Startup.

I'm hopeful of finding some kind of specific utility to remove this
ugly parasite.

Regards,

Terry Smythe
May 25, 2005 11:50:00 PM

Well like I said in my list - make sure you turn off System Restore -
you go into Control Panel -> System Restore -> Turn off on all drives. You
can d/l a trial of Webroot's SpySweeper which is very good at finding some
things the others miss. It is a good idea to run all of them though b/c
different ones find different things. I also say to use Trendmicro's
website b/c it is off of your computer and finds and cleans various things.
The virus can reside in the System Restore and reinstall itself upon
reboot - it doesnt have to be listed in the startup to do this. If you know
all of the names that are used by this then search the symantec website,
many times there is a removal tool that you can run.

Locke

"Terry Smythe" <smythe@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:D 0l991lmb7qbhnb5kc3pesl5nem4rpl64k@4ax.com...
>I have now verified that my desktop has been hijacked by
> "desktop.html" It resides in c:\windows I've tried
> deleting it and editing it, but can't get rid of it. Keeps coming
> back from somewhere, no matter what I do.
>
> It has imbedded within it a command to visit the Antivirus Gold web
> site. It appears to be extremely malicious marketing, planting 3
> virus that only it can remove, and itself. Its message is, 'if you
> want to remove these virus, then buy me'
>
> A search for this file on my computer reveals only 1 copy. If I
> delete it, it is replaced upon reboot. If I edit it, it is replaced
> upon reboot.
>
> A 'net search suggests an incredibly convoluted procedure for getting
> rid of it. Surely there must be an easier way.
>
> Along with SpyBot, AdAware, Microsoft's new parasite detector/remover
> fails to see it. They see all kinds of things, but won't touch this
> one. Registry First Aid finds only a single entry, deletes it, and
> upon reboot, it's back again. It's not in Startup.
>
> I'm hopeful of finding some kind of specific utility to remove this
> ugly parasite.
>
> Regards,
>
> Terry Smythe

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 11:50:00 PM

"Terry Smythe" <smythe@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:D 0l991lmb7qbhnb5kc3pesl5nem4rpl64k@4ax.com...
>I have now verified that my desktop has been hijacked by
> "desktop.html" It resides in c:\windows I've tried
> deleting it and editing it, but can't get rid of it. Keeps coming
> back from somewhere, no matter what I do.
>
> It has imbedded within it a command to visit the Antivirus Gold web
> site. It appears to be extremely malicious marketing, planting 3
> virus that only it can remove, and itself. Its message is, 'if you
> want to remove these virus, then buy me'
>
> A search for this file on my computer reveals only 1 copy. If I
> delete it, it is replaced upon reboot. If I edit it, it is replaced
> upon reboot.
>
> A 'net search suggests an incredibly convoluted procedure for getting
> rid of it. Surely there must be an easier way.
>
> Along with SpyBot, AdAware, Microsoft's new parasite detector/remover
> fails to see it. They see all kinds of things, but won't touch this
> one. Registry First Aid finds only a single entry, deletes it, and
> upon reboot, it's back again. It's not in Startup.
>
> I'm hopeful of finding some kind of specific utility to remove this
> ugly parasite.
>
> Regards,
>
> Terry Smythe

Go to the following link and download HijackThis.

http://www.aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php#hjt

Run it and then post the log it generates to one of the forums dedicated to
it's use. A good place to start is here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50

http://castlecops.com/forumx67-0-50.html

Don't post the log here. Some malware hides very deep in the system and
isn't detected by any of the spyware removal programs. Hijackthis and other
tools will assist in it's manual removal. Barring that you could backup your
data and reinstall Windows and all your programs then restore the data. If
you are unable to do either I recommend you take your computer to a
professional to have it fixed.

Kerry
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 8:11:48 AM

Hello Terry,

I had the EXACT same problem as you (with ANTIVIRUS GOLD) and solved it
as detailed below.

I read the follow-up posts to your original email and it seems that
some of the responses missed the nail in helping you out (one guy even
criticized you for installing "off-brand" antivirus... - he missed the
WHOLE point of your email for help not realizing that you DID NOT
install ANTIVIRUS GOLD ant that it simply took over your system).

In any event, I went to antivirus-gold.com customer service and emiled
a complaint asking how to get rid of this. But of course they never
responded.

I WAS able to get rid of it though and mayby this will help you to.

I'm running under XP Pro.

In Windows "Help and Support" (accessible via Start button), I clicked
"Undo changes to your computer with System Restore".

I then selected "Restore my computer to an earlier time". When the
calendar came up, I selected an available restore point a few days
BEFORE the time when this whole problem started, rebooted as requested,
and it's fine now.

How it happened: In my case, I let my guard down by stopping both
McAfee Vscan and McAfee AntiSpyware. I stopped these because I was
burning DVD's for my business. When the burning completed, I forgot to
re-arm these guys and went surfing. I hit a site that needed to load a
CODEC to run the video. I run a film to DVD business and I try to make
sure I always have all the latest CODECS and so I loaded the new
"codec" and that's when the problem started. (ok ok, it was a porn site
;-)

I would appreciate you letting me know if this solution help you at
all.

Veliko

Kerry Brown wrote:
> "Terry Smythe" <smythe@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> news:D 0l991lmb7qbhnb5kc3pesl5nem4rpl64k@4ax.com...
> >I have now verified that my desktop has been hijacked by
> > "desktop.html" It resides in c:\windows I've tried
> > deleting it and editing it, but can't get rid of it. Keeps coming
> > back from somewhere, no matter what I do.
> >
> > It has imbedded within it a command to visit the Antivirus Gold web
> > site. It appears to be extremely malicious marketing, planting 3
> > virus that only it can remove, and itself. Its message is, 'if you
> > want to remove these virus, then buy me'
> >
> > A search for this file on my computer reveals only 1 copy. If I
> > delete it, it is replaced upon reboot. If I edit it, it is replaced
> > upon reboot.
> >
> > A 'net search suggests an incredibly convoluted procedure for getting
> > rid of it. Surely there must be an easier way.
> >
> > Along with SpyBot, AdAware, Microsoft's new parasite detector/remover
> > fails to see it. They see all kinds of things, but won't touch this
> > one. Registry First Aid finds only a single entry, deletes it, and
> > upon reboot, it's back again. It's not in Startup.
> >
> > I'm hopeful of finding some kind of specific utility to remove this
> > ugly parasite.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Terry Smythe
> >

> Go to the following link and download HijackThis.
>
> http://www.aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php#hjt
>
> Run it and then post the log it generates to one of the forums dedicated to
> it's use. A good place to start is here:
>
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30
>
> http://www.techsupportforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50
>
> http://castlecops.com/forumx67-0-50.html
>
> Don't post the log here. Some malware hides very deep in the system and
> isn't detected by any of the spyware removal programs. Hijackthis and other
> tools will assist in it's manual removal. Barring that you could backup your
> data and reinstall Windows and all your programs then restore the data. If
> you are unable to do either I recommend you take your computer to a
> professional to have it fixed.
>
> Kerry
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 4:19:53 PM

Hello Terry,

I had the EXACT same problem as you (with ANTIVIRUS GOLD) and solved it
as detailed below.

I read the follow-up posts to your original email and it seems that
some of the responses missed the nail in helping you out (one guy even
criticized you for installing "off-brand" antivirus... - he missed the
WHOLE point of your email for help not realizing that you DID NOT
install ANTIVIRUS GOLD ant that it simply took over your system).

In any event, I went to antivirus-gold.com customer service and emailed
a complaint asking how to get rid of this. But of course they never
responded.

I WAS able to get rid of it though and maybe this will help you to.

--
velikoPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

Hi
Thanks a lot the problem got solved by the system restore. But the
program got installed again after some time and now even system restore
cant solve the problem.

--
januPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

Hi janu,
just yesterday i stumbled into the same problem. My 13 year old cousin
caught this proggy but of course... "i didn't do anything".
Whatever.
I tried to track down how antivirus-gold kept sticking on the system
and found that on startup a process called winnook.exe got started.
That one was responsible for the red X in the taskbar (bottom right)
telling you that your computer was infected. You can remove that one by
starting msconfig from the run menu and unchecking it.
Antivirus-gold was actually found in the software panel and could be
uninstalled. But after the uninstall process was done it immediately
started the internet explorer going to it's website. So i checked IE's
settings and found some IE helper objects (sorry, forgot the name.).
But the fact that AV gold got re-installed right after that made me
think that it must have been one of those browser helpers (thank you
microsoft!). So i de-activated the suspicious ones.
The website on the desktop can be removed by settings -> system panel
-> display -> desktop -> customize desktop (dont know if thats the
correct english term) -> web. There you can remove that website from
the active desktop.
After all it did not come back. But of course you never know. Today i'm
gonna deep check that machine for virii with knoppicillin.
I hope this will help you.

regards
Olson
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 8:05:26 PM

On 29 May 2005 04:47:42 -0700, "Olson" <spdump@gmx.de> wrote:

>just yesterday i stumbled into the same problem.

My computer, the one that started this thread, is still infected with
the Anitvirus Gold parasite. I have somehow been successful in
shutting down the automatic re-install following reboot. Not sure
what I did right. However, my desktop is still hi-jacked by the
parasite that masquerades as an ad to buy Antivirus Gold.

If there was ever a way to turn off a potential customer, the
Antivirus Gold folks have seen very successful. With this
aggravation in my face at all times, I'm filled with complete hatred
for this product.

Microsoft's AntiSpyware, Spy-Bot, Ad-Aware, TuneUp, SpySweeper,
CWShredder, Registry First Aid, Norton, etc., all fail to find and
remove this insidious parasite.

My desktop is hi-jacked by "desktop.html" which resides in c:\windows.
I can physically delete the file, remove all traces of it from the
registry, but instantly upon reboot, it's back again in full control
of my desktop.

Symantec does have a page dedicated to this, but it appears to be
outdated, as their suggested fix does not work. So I gather that
the folks behind Anitvirus Gold have figured out a way around that
fix, staying one-step ahead of everybody.

What these folks are doing amounts to extortion, a criminal offense
worthy of a formal charge.

As this parasite has been around for a while, I'm astonished that
Microsoft has not picked up on it, and added a fix to their
AntiSpyware.

If anybody comes up with a permanent fix, they will be a hero in the
eyes of many.

Regards,

Terry Smythe
Winnipeg, Canada
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 8:05:27 PM

> On 29 May 2005 04:47:42 -0700, "Olson" <spdump@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>>just yesterday i stumbled into the same problem.
>
> My computer, the one that started this thread, is still infected with
> the Anitvirus Gold parasite. I have somehow been successful in
> shutting down the automatic re-install following reboot. Not sure
> what I did right. However, my desktop is still hi-jacked by the
> parasite that masquerades as an ad to buy Antivirus Gold.
>
> If there was ever a way to turn off a potential customer, the
> Antivirus Gold folks have seen very successful. With this
> aggravation in my face at all times, I'm filled with complete hatred
> for this product.
>
> Microsoft's AntiSpyware, Spy-Bot, Ad-Aware, TuneUp, SpySweeper,
> CWShredder, Registry First Aid, Norton, etc., all fail to find and
> remove this insidious parasite.
>
> My desktop is hi-jacked by "desktop.html" which resides in c:\windows.
> I can physically delete the file, remove all traces of it from the
> registry, but instantly upon reboot, it's back again in full control
> of my desktop.
>
> Symantec does have a page dedicated to this, but it appears to be
> outdated, as their suggested fix does not work. So I gather that
> the folks behind Anitvirus Gold have figured out a way around that
> fix, staying one-step ahead of everybody.
>
> What these folks are doing amounts to extortion, a criminal offense
> worthy of a formal charge.
>
> As this parasite has been around for a while, I'm astonished that
> Microsoft has not picked up on it, and added a fix to their
> AntiSpyware.
>
> If anybody comes up with a permanent fix, they will be a hero in the
> eyes of many.
>
> Regards,
>
> Terry Smythe
> Winnipeg, Canada

Did you download and run HijackThis then post your log to the recommended
forums?

Kerry
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 1:15:10 AM

Hi Olson,

I did what u told to do and the desktop has been cleaned but the
program did install again so i did what u told me again but after that
i also deleted the folder in the Program Files Folder . The only thing
is that the entry in the msconfig still remains and is disactivated.

When it install i checked the msconfig and i had 2 entries 1
disactivated and one active but when i disactivated the other one too,
i have only 1 entry.

Hope it doesnt bother again. If it happens again will have to find the
culprut file.

Thanks for your help.
Janu

--
januPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:33:02 AM

Hi
I have noticed another thing it keeps installing in the Favorites links
which i have deleted like a 100 times now but wouldnt go away i restart
explorer and it installs even installs if you open a new window.

Dont know when i will get rid of this stupid thing.

I have even removed the registry of winnook.exe.
also removed files frm prefetch folder so there are no backups to the
files.

Without luck.
Hope a good solution to this problem comes fast i am loosing my mind.

Take care

--
januPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:33:03 AM

"janu" <janu.1pvhom@> wrote in message

> Hi
> I have noticed another thing it keeps installing in the Favorites links
> which i have deleted like a 100 times now but wouldnt go away i restart
> explorer and it installs even installs if you open a new window.
>
> Dont know when i will get rid of this stupid thing.
>
> I have even removed the registry of winnook.exe.
> also removed files frm prefetch folder so there are no backups to the
> files.
>
> Without luck.
> Hope a good solution to this problem comes fast i am loosing my mind.
>
> Take care
>

> --
> januPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

I know I'm harping on this but have either you or Terry Smythe tried
HijackThis? When all other programs fail HijackThis will usually get to the
root of the problem. It is a program for advanced users so do not use it
blindly. Read the FAQ at the following link then follow the instructions you
find there.

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

Kerry
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 6:53:45 AM

I had the same EXACT problem...Sunday i went to a soccer game came home
finding out that my sister used my computer and this software installed
itself...HOWEVER there is a way to remove that backround...It is just an
oversized window, so if you get it look at the top of ur screen and you
see a grey bar or some kind or line and drag down and it just moves the
window down and you simply close the X....My problem is that after i
uninstall the little icon saying my computer is infected still stays in
my toolbar. Now this was the other day Sunday, and i restored my
computer to last Friday. This worked however, today the program
reinstalled itself and i did not use internet explorer. I have
firefox. Along with this program installing itself again some other
junk instaled on my computer and i got 5 new icons on my desktop in
total. I did a system restore and not more then 5 minutes after the
restore the AVG software installed itself again. I contacted the
company...of course no reply. I tried deleting the files under
"regedit" from the Run command and one file for this program was ad
efault and could not be deleted. But i guess im just gonna try to
restore my computer to a few weeks ago and see if that helps.

--
e[x]!tPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

Run Hijackthis and place a check beside each of the following. Once you
have checked them, click fix checked.
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,SearchURL =
http://aflashcounter.com/?a=2
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,SearchURL =
http://aflashcounter.com/?a=2

Download noact reg to desktop:
http://home9.inet.tele.dk/le01/Sikkerhed.htm
Doubleclick on it, say yes to merge.

Reboot, post new log and tell how things are running

--
CGKBAPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

I finally got rid of the desktop danger thing, the redirects and
everything those dirtbags at Antivirus Gold threw at me. I did it by
using the free scans from SpywareNuker (aka pcOrion) and Xoftspy. I
did the Nuker first and printed out the results from my scan, then
found and deleted the cookies and files where it told me to find them
on my C:/ Then I went into the regedit thing and did the same thing on
my registry. All together Nuker found 22 nasties for me to delete.
After that I still had the black screen up and the red X on my task bar
so I used the Xoftspy scan and it dug up another list. I pretty much
followed the locations it gave me and I got rid of everything else
except the black desktop screen became white and I couldn't get rid of
it. I Dogpiled AVGold and found yall on this string and I want to
thank e[x]!t for his help. He's right, I just clicked and dragged the
top of that window down, found the X in the upper right corner and its
gone!

I just registered on this site to thank you all for the advice I got
reading the posts and wanted to share how I got over on AVGold. I'm
pretty much a complete computer neophyte and I think my total ignorance
allowed me to mess with my registry without a second thought and I just
got lucky picking a couple of scans that happened to work out. But hey
it worked for me, and if anybody knows how to trash AntiVirus Gold I'll
be happy to hold the door open. Thanks for your help.

--
gregp86Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

You are using programs that are probabily bundled with spyware. I only know
about the good stuff. I never heard of AVGold, Nuker, Softspy etc. Don't buy
anything without checking with www.spywareinfo.com for a start. I use free
avast virus software, free ad-aware, free spybot s&d, free microsoft-beta
antispyware (not all at the same time) and I never had a problem. Security is
#1. My advice, download "eraser" from heidi software (free), create a floppy
nuke disk, erase the disk clean, reformat, and install a clean os. Then
install sp2 for a firewall, update at microsoft, get zone alarm
firewall-free, avast, and what I mentioned before. Before you buy an app, a
game, especially free screensavers, learn all you can about adware and
spyware. If you have a good virus program (avast updates automatically)
you'll be ok.
--
oralcumfix

"gregp86" wrote:

> I finally got rid of the desktop danger thing, the redirects and
> everything those dirtbags at Antivirus Gold threw at me. I did it by
> using the free scans from SpywareNuker (aka pcOrion) and Xoftspy. I
> did the Nuker first and printed out the results from my scan, then
> found and deleted the cookies and files where it told me to find them
> on my C:/ Then I went into the regedit thing and did the same thing on
> my registry. All together Nuker found 22 nasties for me to delete.
> After that I still had the black screen up and the red X on my task bar
> so I used the Xoftspy scan and it dug up another list. I pretty much
> followed the locations it gave me and I got rid of everything else
> except the black desktop screen became white and I couldn't get rid of
> it. I Dogpiled AVGold and found yall on this string and I want to
> thank e[x]!t for his help. He's right, I just clicked and dragged the
> top of that window down, found the X in the upper right corner and its
> gone!
>
> I just registered on this site to thank you all for the advice I got
> reading the posts and wanted to share how I got over on AVGold. I'm
> pretty much a complete computer neophyte and I think my total ignorance
> allowed me to mess with my registry without a second thought and I just
> got lucky picking a couple of scans that happened to work out. But hey
> it worked for me, and if anybody knows how to trash AntiVirus Gold I'll
> be happy to hold the door open. Thanks for your help.
>

> --
> gregp86Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:27:19 PM

this thing is driving me mental!! this is what hijackthis says:
Your ideas would be greatly appreciated..

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:21:40 a.m., on 10/06/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hookdump.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\360Share\Gui\360Share.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jucheck.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Pinch\Desktop\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O1 - Hosts: 213.219.251.78 google.co.uk
O1 - Hosts: 213.219.251.78 www.google.es
O1 - Hosts: 213.219.251.78 google.es
O1 - Hosts: 213.219.251.78 google.com.au
O1 - Hosts: 66.218.75.184 mail.yahoo.com
O1 - Hosts: 213.219.251.80 www.search.msn.com
O1 - Hosts: 213.219.251.80 go.com
O1 - Hosts: 213.219.251.80 www.go.com
O2 - BHO: SuperAdBlockerBHO Class -
{00000000-6C30-11D8-9363-000AE6309654} - C:\Program
Files\SuperAdBlocker.com\Super Ad Blocker\SABBHO.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}
- C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB}
- C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor -
{B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} -
C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdpb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Super Ad Blocker Toolbar -
{B4B3001E-0F56-4E51-8250-BDE11547EC55} - C:\Program
Files\SuperAdBlocker.com\Super Ad Blocker\sabtb.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI
Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP
Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program
Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program
Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: C:\Program
Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Cleaner] "C:\Program Files\Windows Cleaner
Full/WindowsCleanerFull"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Barv] C:\WINDOWS\mefkkykm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0
-k
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN
Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NBJ] "C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero
BackItUp\NBJ.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySweeper] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy
Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe /0
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Intel system tool]
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hookdump.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SuperAdBlocker] C:\Program
Files\SuperAdBlocker.com\Super Ad Blocker\SAdBlock.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware
Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Startup: 360Share On Startup.lnk = C:\Program
Files\360Share\Gui\360Share.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program
Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel -
res://C:\MSOffice\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501}
- C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console -
{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program
Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor -
{2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} -
C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {B205A35E-1FC4-4CE3-818B-899DBBB3388C}
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Encarta Search
Bar\ENCSBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683}
- C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger -
{FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program
Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://ny.contentmatch.net (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine
Advantage Validation Tool) -
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=36467&clcid=0x40...
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload
Tool) - http://by12fd.bay12.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld....
O16 - DPF: {5D9E4B6D-CD17-4D85-99D4-6A52B394EC3B} (WSDownloader
Control) - http://www.webshots.com/samplers/WSDownloader.ocx
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control)
-
http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061001/housecall...
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF}
(MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) -
http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDown...
O17 -
HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{EC008768-3D34-4F3C-A557-AA4D38B10841}:
NameServer = 192.168.1.254
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner -
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner -
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. -
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Macromedia - C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia
Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP -
C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: Super Ad Blocker Service (SABSVC) - Unknown owner -
C:\Program Files\SuperAdBlocker.com\Super Ad Blocker\SABSVC.EXE (file
missing)
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:39:08 PM

Nobody knows what "darn problem" you have because you didn't describe one.
Post HiJack This logs in one of the forums created for that purpose, like
Tom Coyote:
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"finch21" <element862@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]
> http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDown...
> O17 -
> HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{EC008768-3D34-4F3C-A557-AA4D38B10841}:
> NameServer = 192.168.1.254
> O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner -
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
> O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner -
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
> O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. -
> C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
> O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Macromedia - C:\Program
> Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia
> Licensing.exe
> O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP -
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
> O23 - Service: Super Ad Blocker Service (SABSVC) - Unknown owner -
> C:\Program Files\SuperAdBlocker.com\Super Ad Blocker\SABSVC.EXE (file

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:27:03 AM

sorry Ted its the antivirus gold like everyone else thats the problem,
cant seem to get rid of that stupid little red cross on toolbar, but
ill check out Tomecoyote, cheers:)
June 12, 2005 5:14:17 PM

Hi, I have had the problem with avgold to, now, here are several users
on this pc, and I saw other users dont have problems with it, so what I
have done:

I made a backup of all my files
then made a new user
putted my files in the new user
deleted the user where avgold is on andd... you are rid of the avgold
problem!

--
WildChildPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

hi, i read all these posts and was having to same problem with that darn
trojan two days ago. I have found a solution and i felt obligated to
post it for all of u. I have ad-aware running on my computer and it
just wasnt cutting. What i ended up doing was downloading the freeware
version of Spybot Search and Destroy and the free 15-day trial of
Webroot Spy Sweeper. I ran them all together and it fixed it. I think
that the Webroot Spy Sweeper was the key because in the free scan that
you can do on their website, it was the only program to recognize the
antivirus gold as a trojan. I dont know if it worked because all three
programs removed part of it but it worked. Webroot asked me to reboot
the system and when i did, there was no warning in the backround and no
(X) in the toolbar.

Hope that helps,
Dazed and Confused

Badabang

--
badabangPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

Here is a copy of my HiJack THis Scan
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 10:13:12 PM, on 6/20/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\carpserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PPMemCheck.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Pat\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX03.688\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL =
http://www.insightbb.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title =
Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Insight Broadband
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName
=
O2 - BHO: FlpLauncher Class - {4401FDC3-7996-4774-8D2B-C1AE9CD6CC25} -
C:\Program Files\E-Book Systems\FlipAlbum 6 Pro Eval\fplaunch.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class -
{AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SAClient] "C:\Program
Files\Insight\BBClient\Programs\RegCon.exe" /admincheck
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PPMemCheck] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PPMemCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CookiePatrol] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\CookiePatrol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet
Security 2005\pccguide.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Anti Trojan Elite] C:\Program Files\Anti Trojan
Elite\TJEnder.exe :NO
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
/STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program
Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel
present
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF -
res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF -
res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF -
res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF -
res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF -
res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF -
res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program
Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to existing PDF -
res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat
7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel -
res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} -
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Modules\messmod2\v4\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger -
{4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program
Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Modules\messmod2\v4\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} -
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger -
{FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program
Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.insightbb.com
O16 - DPF: ppctlcab -
http://ppupdates.ca.com/downloads/scanner/ppctlcab.cab
O16 - DPF: WebControlDeploy - https://grouper.com/v1/GrouperSetup.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! MahJong Solitaire -
http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/mjst4_x...
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine
Advantage Validation Tool) -
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=36467&clcid=0x40...
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) -
https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/LSSupCtl.c...
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus
scanner) -
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin...
O16 - DPF: {2FC9A21E-2069-4E47-8235-36318989DB13}
(PPSDKActiveXScanner.MainScreen) -
http://ppupdates.ca.com/downloads/scanner/axscanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {3EB4F9EA-51A6-48DA-846A-0D69DCBA39EF} (DownloadManager
Control) - http://tinyurl.com/b7dc9
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class)
- http://tinyurl.com/8zso6
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI
Utility Class) -
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common...
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) -
http://tinyurl.com/4xgfy
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) -
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.ca...
O16 - DPF: {80DD2229-B8E4-4C77-B72F-F22972D723EA} (AvxScanOnline
Control) - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/Msie/bitdefender.cab
O16 - DPF: {8EDAD21C-3584-4E66-A8AB-EB0E5584767D} -
http://toolbar.google.com/data/GoogleActivate.cab
O16 - DPF: {9522B3FB-7A2B-4646-8AF6-36E7F593073C} (cpbrkpie Control) -
http://tinyurl.com/c3j8a
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer
Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {BB21F850-63F4-4EC9-BF9D-565BD30C9AE9} (ASquaredScanForm
Element) - http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/axscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo
Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/SymAData.c...
O16 - DPF: {D1792F99-AA90-4D46-8B73-2CE45DADDD3C} (WAFDownloader Class)
- https://www.web-a-file.com/webafiledownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object)
- http://tinyurl.com/76o8j
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server - GRISOFT, s.r.o. -
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service - GRISOFT, s.r.o. -
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service - NVIDIA Corporation -
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Central Control Component - Trend Micro
Incorporated. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Real-time Service - Trend Micro
Incorporated. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall - Trend Micro Inc. -
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TmPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service - Trend Micro Inc. -
C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe

Can anyone tell me what to do about the AntiVirus Gold invasion on my
computer?
I can not do a system restore for I undid that months ago.

Please help this black screen is driving me nuts. I finally got it to
stop downloading unless I accidently click off of the icon I am trying
to open.

This has been gong on for a week and I am about to throw this thing out
the window.

HELP ME PLEASE

Hoosiermom

--
hoosiermomPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

I was attacked by antivirus gold or last nite, ive been reading these
posts and thru trial and error of using different advice given, i found
that as said using spysweeper, (free 15 day trial) got rid of it , mb
theyve updted it recently or something, thanx to everyone for their
support and advice

--
funky junktionPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

I have ran and have been running the full blown version of Webroot
SpySweeper and it has done nothing. I still have it and it is driving
me up a wall. Please someone has to know how to get rid of thid thing.

--
hoosiermomPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 4:07:22 PM

Hey,

If i was being honest too , I also fell for the codec trick
(www.vcodec.com or something, DO NOT DOWNLOAD) whilst needing to watch
"Amusements". Looking through a few replies here none of you have it
as bad as you do (might not have read a post that has this problem).
The website that the warning is linked to in the desktop might or it
might be one of the viruses shoved in, is constantly crashing my active
desktop leaving me with no time to get 3 clicks in before i get the
"Send Error Report" window from Windows before it crashes and flicks up
again and crashes, it continues doing this until i rapid click the
shutdown buttons before it crashes again :) . Turns out also that my
brother was going to change our antivirus software but 'didn't get
round to finishing the job'. And with this problem i cant even install
new software or even have enough time to pay the criminals (that's gotta
be able to be dealt with?). Help asap please.

--
sir robPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

I have the same problem as sir rob with one of the t888ers at work who
has managed to get it on his laptop. I am going to just wipe his
system. I can't find anyway around it. The annoying thing is we have
Symanted v9 all fully updated and on auto monitor but somehow this
rubbish still got through.

BTW I checked out the AV Gold website and they aren't far from me in
central London, I have a goood mind to go round there and have a
serious "discussion". I can't believe the useless putrid little
whores.

--
konarobPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

Hi,

Try this first.
How to remove Antivirus Gold or AVGold
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How_to_remove_An...

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

konarob wrote:
> I have the same problem as sir rob with one of the
> t888ers at work who has managed to get it on his laptop.
> I am going to just wipe his system. I can't find anyway
> around it. The annoying thing is we have Symanted v9 all
> fully updated and on auto monitor but somehow this
> rubbish still got through.
>
> BTW I checked out the AV Gold website and they aren't far
> from me in central London, I have a goood mind to go
> round there and have a serious "discussion". I can't
> believe the useless putrid little whores.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:51:04 PM

I had AV Gold on my computer too,and tried to do as quoted bellow,but in
my case there was no winnook.exe there,but there was a process called
hookdump.exe. I unchekked it,and after reboot,the red little button in
the lower right corner is gone.then I ran Spybot and removed the files
that was found.rebooted and ran spybot again,I don't know much about
computers,but it seems to me like I have got rid of this mess.

--
toiletpaper
!