Folks, we have a disturbance in the force!!

i've grown tired of buying high dollar games (im not rich, btw!) only to
recieve them and either discover warped cabs, hacked wiring etc..

sellers, plz don't overrate your games just to make a sale!!!
buyers, be extra careful these days as the time is ripe for sour deals!
make sure you get a full description of what your getting.
if the seller doesn't send a pic of the game in full, i would encourage
you to get a full pic.. if not, wait for the next game. nothing is so
rare that it can't be found (well, i think 20% of all this stuff is
truly rare)
be sure to ask what the word "mint" or "near mint" means to them. we all
don't use this term in the same manner!!

i've had this happen three times here..... one was for a super pac that
was beautiful in front. the seller/trader sent me a pic of the front. i
got all excited and drove the 14 hours to pick it and a tron (was
described as mint) up only to find the super pac had weather beaten
sides, hacked up wiring beyond belief, and a horizontal monitor w/
homemade crossmembers. the tron was so swollen that if you would try
and take the cp off you would scratch the art (they are not supposed to
do that!!!)

of course, some of you read my thread on the journey cocktail so i don't
need to cover that.
another $1k restoration project to put in the basket :(
anyone have a deluxe midway cab that isn't warped on the bottom?

a minor scam happened w/ my blaster duramold about a year ago..
the seller didn't bother to tell me about the hacked coin door wiring.
i guess it could have been worse on that one.....

he later sold the mint one for $1500.....
(thats the one i would have bought if i had a choice)

i guess i just needed to vent..

i've been quite lucky w/ the ops and the local auctions over the years
and only had to rely on out of state folks for 40% of my collection.
some of you are excellent traders while some need tutoring on rating
cabs...

i feel for those of you who get scammed on pcbs and such---try losing on
big ticket items and you would be writing this too!

its even worse when folks don't even send you anything back!!

ronald

Ok, I've got to jump in here. Talk about the pot calling the kettle
black. Ron, I'm familiar with some of the dealings you've had with
other collectors local to me. As only a bystander, I find it ironic
that you're complaining about items that were not as described. Some
of the deals I've heard about involving you included games that were
mis-described, monitors that were broken, bootleg boards, etc. etc.
all far from what was agreed upon. Furthermore, I've seen the cocktail
in Mike's collection, and I always thought it was pretty darn nice. I
was with him when he bought the second (better) underlay, and
insinuating that the Journey was a conversion is stupid, to say the
least. True, I'm biased, since I've dealt with Mike for 10 years, and
I've only met you a couple of times, I really think you're out of line.
While I don't agree on your synopsis of the condition, I do tend to
think that during the LONG period of time (a few months?) you took to
send the money, you should've asked more questions. I remember when I
first heard Mike talk about selling this machine. I specifically
remember him saying that you didn't appear to concerned about
condition, because you barely asked any questions, and settled for a
couple of generic pictures. He was indeed surprised at your offer to
buy, and I warned him that I knew of people that were less than happy
with your deals in the past. All I know is that I am coming out of
this with an "I told you so" in my column, and he'll probably listen
more closely to my opinion in the future. :) The worst part is that
Mike has offered to buy the machine back, but apparently you weren't so
upset about it afterall, and really only want to try to get money back.
And, while we're dishing out a few helpful suggestions within the
group:

Those of you who expect to get absolutely mint machines, as if they
just came out of the box, and you plan on nit-picking the machine to
pieces...maybe mention this upfront, and show a little more interest in
discerning the condition before you buy it and ship it across the
country. Make sure your expectations are in line with what you are
getting. This machine was an easy 8 out of 10. Mike's biggest concern
was the control panel condition, of which you made no comments.

Ron Jr. wrote:
> i've grown tired of buying high dollar games (im not rich, btw!) only to
> recieve them and either discover warped cabs, hacked wiring etc..
>
> sellers, plz don't overrate your games just to make a sale!!!
> buyers, be extra careful these days as the time is ripe for sour deals!
> make sure you get a full description of what your getting.
> if the seller doesn't send a pic of the game in full, i would encourage
> you to get a full pic.. if not, wait for the next game. nothing is so
> rare that it can't be found (well, i think 20% of all this stuff is
> truly rare)
> be sure to ask what the word "mint" or "near mint" means to them. we all
> don't use this term in the same manner!!
>
> i've had this happen three times here..... one was for a super pac that
> was beautiful in front. the seller/trader sent me a pic of the front. i
> got all excited and drove the 14 hours to pick it and a tron (was
> described as mint) up only to find the super pac had weather beaten
> sides, hacked up wiring beyond belief, and a horizontal monitor w/
> homemade crossmembers. the tron was so swollen that if you would try
> and take the cp off you would scratch the art (they are not supposed to
> do that!!!)
>
> of course, some of you read my thread on the journey cocktail so i don't
> need to cover that.
> another $1k restoration project to put in the basket :(
> anyone have a deluxe midway cab that isn't warped on the bottom?
>

> a minor scam happened w/ my blaster duramold about a year ago..
> the seller didn't bother to tell me about the hacked coin door wiring.
> i guess it could have been worse on that one.....
>
> he later sold the mint one for $1500.....
> (thats the one i would have bought if i had a choice)
>
> i guess i just needed to vent..
>
> i've been quite lucky w/ the ops and the local auctions over the years
> and only had to rely on out of state folks for 40% of my collection.
> some of you are excellent traders while some need tutoring on rating
> cabs...
>
> i feel for those of you who get scammed on pcbs and such---try losing on
> big ticket items and you would be writing this too!
>
> its even worse when folks don't even send you anything back!!
>
> ronald

Prok

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003

How about asking more questions and learning more about the games you want
so badly before shelling out cash? Shouldn't have to be said what
people's versions of 'mint' are as I know what I call mint is VERY different
from what most collectors would so i'm smart enough to take that into
account with my dealings. You're far from the only collector out there that
seeks and owns very nice condition games, you just have to be smarter about
your dealings. Oh, and stop throwing everyone under the bus, that's lame as
hell.

/b

"Ron Jr." <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
> i've grown tired of buying high dollar games (im not rich, btw!) only to
> recieve them and either discover warped cabs, hacked wiring etc..
>
> sellers, plz don't overrate your games just to make a sale!!!
> buyers, be extra careful these days as the time is ripe for sour deals!
> make sure you get a full description of what your getting.
> if the seller doesn't send a pic of the game in full, i would encourage
> you to get a full pic.. if not, wait for the next game. nothing is so
> rare that it can't be found (well, i think 20% of all this stuff is
> truly rare)
> be sure to ask what the word "mint" or "near mint" means to them. we all
> don't use this term in the same manner!!
>
> i've had this happen three times here..... one was for a super pac that
> was beautiful in front. the seller/trader sent me a pic of the front. i
> got all excited and drove the 14 hours to pick it and a tron (was
> described as mint) up only to find the super pac had weather beaten
> sides, hacked up wiring beyond belief, and a horizontal monitor w/
> homemade crossmembers. the tron was so swollen that if you would try
> and take the cp off you would scratch the art (they are not supposed to
> do that!!!)
>
> of course, some of you read my thread on the journey cocktail so i don't
> need to cover that.
> another $1k restoration project to put in the basket :(
> anyone have a deluxe midway cab that isn't warped on the bottom?
>

> a minor scam happened w/ my blaster duramold about a year ago..
> the seller didn't bother to tell me about the hacked coin door wiring.
> i guess it could have been worse on that one.....
>
> he later sold the mint one for $1500.....
> (thats the one i would have bought if i had a choice)
>
> i guess i just needed to vent..
>
> i've been quite lucky w/ the ops and the local auctions over the years
> and only had to rely on out of state folks for 40% of my collection.
> some of you are excellent traders while some need tutoring on rating
> cabs...
>
> i feel for those of you who get scammed on pcbs and such---try losing on
> big ticket items and you would be writing this too!
>
> its even worse when folks don't even send you anything back!!
>
> ronald

Thanks for the good points, Brett and Prok. Mike is a
good guy and I find it disturbing to hear someone say he
intentionally tried to rip someone off. I too have been
ripped off, but wouldn't hesitate at all to deal with
Mike.

Scott C.

prOk wrote:
> How about asking more questions and learning more about the games you want
> so badly before shelling out cash? Shouldn't have to be said what
> people's versions of 'mint' are as I know what I call mint is VERY different
> from what most collectors would so i'm smart enough to take that into
> account with my dealings. You're far from the only collector out there that
> seeks and owns very nice condition games, you just have to be smarter about
> your dealings. Oh, and stop throwing everyone under the bus, that's lame as
> hell.
>
> /b
>

> "Ron Jr." <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
>
>>i've grown tired of buying high dollar games (im not rich, btw!) only to
>>recieve them and either discover warped cabs, hacked wiring etc..
>>
>>sellers, plz don't overrate your games just to make a sale!!!
>>buyers, be extra careful these days as the time is ripe for sour deals!
>>make sure you get a full description of what your getting.
>>if the seller doesn't send a pic of the game in full, i would encourage
>>you to get a full pic.. if not, wait for the next game. nothing is so
>>rare that it can't be found (well, i think 20% of all this stuff is
>>truly rare)
>>be sure to ask what the word "mint" or "near mint" means to them. we all
>>don't use this term in the same manner!!
>>
>>i've had this happen three times here..... one was for a super pac that
>>was beautiful in front. the seller/trader sent me a pic of the front. i
>>got all excited and drove the 14 hours to pick it and a tron (was
>>described as mint) up only to find the super pac had weather beaten
>>sides, hacked up wiring beyond belief, and a horizontal monitor w/
>>homemade crossmembers. the tron was so swollen that if you would try
>>and take the cp off you would scratch the art (they are not supposed to
>>do that!!!)
>>
>>of course, some of you read my thread on the journey cocktail so i don't
>>need to cover that.
>>another $1k restoration project to put in the basket :(
>>anyone have a deluxe midway cab that isn't warped on the bottom?
>>

>>a minor scam happened w/ my blaster duramold about a year ago..
>>the seller didn't bother to tell me about the hacked coin door wiring.
>>i guess it could have been worse on that one.....
>>
>>he later sold the mint one for $1500.....
>>(thats the one i would have bought if i had a choice)
>>
>>i guess i just needed to vent..
>>
>>i've been quite lucky w/ the ops and the local auctions over the years
>>and only had to rely on out of state folks for 40% of my collection.
>>some of you are excellent traders while some need tutoring on rating
>>cabs...
>>
>>i feel for those of you who get scammed on pcbs and such---try losing on
>>big ticket items and you would be writing this too!
>>
>>its even worse when folks don't even send you anything back!!
>>
>>ronald

i learned another lesson in buying games long distance..
just for the record, i never mentioned mike's name to begin with. i just
wanted get some opinions on my transaction (thanks for the input!).
i realize now that just because someone has been on the group for a long
time (and is an honest seller) that his/her description of a near mint
game may or may not be the same as my own.

i guess another $200-300 to get this cab up to par isn't going to kill
me.....

ronald

Ron,

How about some pictures of the cab in question? After all this drama,
I'm really curious to see it.

Regards,