Upgrade from IBM's 98SE to XP Home

May 25, 2005 2:19:10 AM

I own a computer purchased from IBM with Win98SE pre-installed (OEM). Would
like to upgrade to XP Home; I have the 98SE Product Recovery CD and also know
the CD installation key. Will an XP Upgrade CD work in this case (either as
an upgrade or new install) or will I have to buy the full version? Thanks.

More about : upgrade ibm 98se home

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 3:03:40 PM

Before you spend any dosh, download and run the XP Upgrade Advisor from

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Utility...

This will show up any potential problems.

--
Neil

Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to dot)

"Paperhawk" <Paperhawk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I own a computer purchased from IBM with Win98SE pre-installed (OEM).
Would
| like to upgrade to XP Home; I have the 98SE Product Recovery CD and
also know
| the CD installation key. Will an XP Upgrade CD work in this case
(either as
| an upgrade or new install) or will I have to buy the full version?
Thanks.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 3:03:41 PM

Thank you both for your replies; in terms of the upgrade advisor, have
already ran the upgrade advisor from another XP cd and besides the usual
uninstall/reinstall of antivirus, etc. it was silent on the matter. So I
guess that it looks like only an upgrade is possible (too bad, I prefer clean
installs) so I will take this on in a few days pending any other advice or
comments. Thanks again guys!

"Neil Howie" wrote:

> Before you spend any dosh, download and run the XP Upgrade Advisor from
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Utility...
>
> This will show up any potential problems.
>
> --
> Neil
>
> Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to dot)
>

> "Paperhawk" <Paperhawk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I own a computer purchased from IBM with Win98SE pre-installed (OEM).
> Would
> | like to upgrade to XP Home; I have the 98SE Product Recovery CD and
> also know
> | the CD installation key. Will an XP Upgrade CD work in this case
> (either as
> | an upgrade or new install) or will I have to buy the full version?
> Thanks.

Anonymous
May 25, 2005 7:25:46 PM

Only as an upgrade not as a new install as you don't have a 98 CD to insert
to prove you own it
!