Upgrade from IBM's 98SE to XP Home

I own a computer purchased from IBM with Win98SE pre-installed (OEM). Would
like to upgrade to XP Home; I have the 98SE Product Recovery CD and also know
the CD installation key. Will an XP Upgrade CD work in this case (either as
an upgrade or new install) or will I have to buy the full version? Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrade 98se home

    Before you spend any dosh, download and run the XP Upgrade Advisor from

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Utility/1.0/WXP/EN-US/UpgAdv.exe

    This will show up any potential problems.

    --
    Neil

    Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to dot)

    "Paperhawk" <Paperhawk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    |I own a computer purchased from IBM with Win98SE pre-installed (OEM).
    Would
    | like to upgrade to XP Home; I have the 98SE Product Recovery CD and
    also know
    | the CD installation key. Will an XP Upgrade CD work in this case
    (either as
    | an upgrade or new install) or will I have to buy the full version?
    Thanks.

    Thank you both for your replies; in terms of the upgrade advisor, have
    already ran the upgrade advisor from another XP cd and besides the usual
    uninstall/reinstall of antivirus, etc. it was silent on the matter. So I
    guess that it looks like only an upgrade is possible (too bad, I prefer clean
    installs) so I will take this on in a few days pending any other advice or
    comments. Thanks again guys!

    "Neil Howie" wrote:

    > Before you spend any dosh, download and run the XP Upgrade Advisor from
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Utility/1.0/WXP/EN-US/UpgAdv.exe
    >
    > This will show up any potential problems.
    >
    > --
    > Neil
    >
    > Anti-spam - Domain is really oakleaf ~ idps ~ co ~ uk (change ~ to dot)
    >

    > "Paperhawk" <Paperhawk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > |I own a computer purchased from IBM with Win98SE pre-installed (OEM).
    > Would
    > | like to upgrade to XP Home; I have the 98SE Product Recovery CD and
    > also know
    > | the CD installation key. Will an XP Upgrade CD work in this case
    > (either as
    > | an upgrade or new install) or will I have to buy the full version?
    > Thanks.

    Only as an upgrade not as a new install as you don't have a 98 CD to insert
    to prove you own it
    "Paperhawk" <Paperhawk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I own a computer purchased from IBM with Win98SE pre-installed (OEM).
    Would
    > like to upgrade to XP Home; I have the 98SE Product Recovery CD and also
    know
    > the CD installation key. Will an XP Upgrade CD work in this case (either
    as
    > an upgrade or new install) or will I have to buy the full version?
    Thanks.

Windows XP CD-Rom IBM