OT: HL2 Licensing?

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
Sorry guys, it's off topic, but I've gotten really sick of signing up for new forums every time I want to ask a question about a new game.

If I were to install HL2 on my gaming machine, and then upgrade the gaming machine in two/three weeks, would I break my HL2 activation and not be able to play it?

<A HREF="http://community.vugames.com/WebX?14@86.ieRVd6ms1MW.37@.1dd8cf62/0" target="_new">This post</A> on the Sierra forums seems to indicate so, but I don't know if that guy is a mod, and with the internet I always get a second opinion.

Sorry again for the offtopicness, but hey everybody's talking about HL2 anyway.

I don't think so. Can't see why it would.

There is a GAMES section of the forum btw.

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Graphics is the game section of the forum as far as im concerned... Dont feel bad about posting it here either, this is where everyone whos into games and game knowledge dwells anyway (For the most part).

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
No you wouldnt, steam works by you logging in on a premade email acccount and all your privelages / activations are kept on that account. You could move around the world to another computer, log onto steam using your email and password you made the account with, and any games you had avaliable to you before, are still going to be avaliable to you again you just have to download them to the new computer.

Before my brother bought half life 2, he was using my steam login to play counter strike source from his computer.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT

I was simply stating there is a Games section, just like there is a CPU / Memory / Windows XP / Other / Polls etc sections.

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
The rumor regarding these other forums is actually propaganda spread by the rebellion.

RichPLS

Champion
<pre> sshhhuuuussshhh, they are secret forums by invitation only </pre><p><font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Oh sweet God!!! Now im marked... Brb, i hear someone at my door...

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
There is a GAMES section of the forum btw.
... *blink* ... Holy crap, there is!

I would check it out, but the HL2 box just started talking to me, and I'm afraid if I don't play it now will tell me to do something horrible.

... what's that, HL2 box? No, I can't do that, they're my friends!!!

(post inspired by the contents of the HL2 forum)

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
Incidentally, I really like that they skipped the jewel case in the retail box of HL2. I always end up throwing those away and sticking the CDs in my CD binder anyway. It's nice when games use efficient, recyclable packaging.

(yeah I'm sitting here swapping CDs for the next 10 minutes... why, do I sound bored?)

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Before my brother bought half life 2, he was using my steam login to play counter strike source from his computer.
wow, same here.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue: