Upgrading my Dell 2400

Alright, I'm planning on upgrading my Dell 2400 so that i can play some
newer games(specifically Silent Hunter 3 at full graphics). Right now
it has 512 Mb of memory a 2.8Ghz P4 533fsb and no graphics(onboard).
My plan is to go with the following things for my upgrade.

-ASUS P4P800-VM (mATX)
-MSI RX9800PRO
-2*512Mb corsair dual channel ram
-THERMALTAKE 420W PSU
-A new heatsink

Just to double check, this upgrade is possible right? If so, have i
missed anything i might need? Any suggestions for better components for
around the same price? Will my old memory work with the new computer?
For anyone who has done this upgrade, is it difficult, any problems you
encountered? Any comments are welcome.

-Rob

Oh ya, sorry if this type of thing has already been addressed, I've
been searching for the answers to the compatibility of Dell
motherboards for hours, and i wanted to get a straight answer from
someone who knows, hopefully some one here knows.
Thanks again
-Rob

If i use my old HD, that already has xp installed on ths do i have to
re-install windows? My dad used my XP disk that came with the dell to
intall xp on an old dell, its working fine on both computers already, I
thought xp had some kind of protection against multiple computers
running this, but if the disk installed on another computer once,
shouldnt it work again?

I guessI'll buy a new case, i just feel bad throwing my old one out
after less than a year of use. Any suggestions for the motherboard? I'm
looking at an A-bit AI7 if i get a ATX board.

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:56:47 -0800, rbowes wrote:

> Alright, I'm planning on upgrading my Dell 2400 so that i can play some
> newer games(specifically Silent Hunter 3 at full graphics). Right now
> it has 512 Mb of memory a 2.8Ghz P4 533fsb and no graphics(onboard).
> My plan is to go with the following things for my upgrade.
>
> -ASUS P4P800-VM (mATX)
> -MSI RX9800PRO
> -2*512Mb corsair dual channel ram
> -THERMALTAKE 420W PSU
> -A new heatsink
>
> Just to double check, this upgrade is possible right? If so, have i
> missed anything i might need? Any suggestions for better components for
> around the same price? Will my old memory work with the new computer?
> For anyone who has done this upgrade, is it difficult, any problems you
> encountered? Any comments are welcome.

My only suggestion is that you purchase a standard case, something you
like, with a PSU already in it - get one of those cool cases with the
colors and with a Side Panel fan in addition to the fan on the rear of the
case (inside).

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

"rbowes" <damn_wall_2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Alright, I'm planning on upgrading my Dell 2400 so that i can play some
> newer games(specifically Silent Hunter 3 at full graphics). Right now
> it has 512 Mb of memory a 2.8Ghz P4 533fsb and no graphics(onboard).
> My plan is to go with the following things for my upgrade.
>
> -ASUS P4P800-VM (mATX)
> -MSI RX9800PRO
> -2*512Mb corsair dual channel ram
> -THERMALTAKE 420W PSU
> -A new heatsink
>
> Just to double check, this upgrade is possible right? If so, have i
> missed anything i might need? Any suggestions for better components for
> around the same price? Will my old memory work with the new computer?
> For anyone who has done this upgrade, is it difficult, any problems you
> encountered? Any comments are welcome.
>
> -Rob

Why? Buy a nice case, install all the new equipment in it and keep the 2400
or donate it to a school.

The ram will not transfer and the case is nothing special.

Tom

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:16:03 -0800, rbowes wrote:

> But is it possible to keep my dell case?

If you are going to make all those changes, why would you want too?

You won't know about the case until you try it - there are some cases that
you can use any hardware in, others are a little unique and can't use
everything and some motherboards.

--

> But is it possible to keep my dell case?

Your biggest problem will be the power button and the front USB and
headphone jack. None will be supported by a generic motherboard.

Take a look inside the system at the front panel connector - you will
need to split out that ribbon cable and re-terminate the wires into 2-
3- and 4-wire connectors. The connectors aren't readily available - if
you have a scrapped case, you can use those.

The mounting scheme and I/O shield are also nonstandard.

Given the labor involved in the above, replace the case - it won't add
much to the cost, but if you do that, you can go with a full ATX board,
and not be limited to micro ATX.

Other potential issue: if you try to reuse the Dell OEM Windows CD
when you reinstall on the new board, you'll have to activate - which you
will not be able to do automatically. You'll have to call Microsoft to
explain your need to activate - and given their recent crackdown on OEM
licensing, they may or may not allow it. If they don't, be prepared to
purchase a retail copy of XP.

rbowes wrote:
> Alright, I'm planning on upgrading my Dell 2400 so that i can play some
> newer games(specifically Silent Hunter 3 at full graphics). Right now
> it has 512 Mb of memory a 2.8Ghz P4 533fsb and no graphics(onboard).
> My plan is to go with the following things for my upgrade.
>
> -ASUS P4P800-VM (mATX)
> -MSI RX9800PRO
> -2*512Mb corsair dual channel ram
> -THERMALTAKE 420W PSU
> -A new heatsink
>
> Just to double check, this upgrade is possible right? If so, have i
> missed anything i might need? Any suggestions for better components for
> around the same price? Will my old memory work with the new computer?
> For anyone who has done this upgrade, is it difficult, any problems you
> encountered? Any comments are welcome.
>
> -Rob

If you use your old hard disk, you'll have to install the drivers for the new
hardware. Windows XP will recognize that the hardware has changed significantly
and you will be required to reactivate.

I cannot comment as to exactly why XP installed and ran successfully on two
different computers. I can only speculate that two different Windows
certificates of authenication (COA) were used. For the record, Microsoft
expects each system running a copy of Windows to have its own unique COA. Read
their licensing agreement for more details, if you can make any sense out of it.

You can always sell the Dell 2400 case with motherboard and all cables, mounting
brackets, fans, etc. It would be best for any buyer to keep them together.
You'll get more money that way, too... Ben Myers

rbowes wrote:
> Alright, I'm planning on upgrading my Dell 2400 so that i can play some
> newer games(specifically Silent Hunter 3 at full graphics). Right now
> it has 512 Mb of memory a 2.8Ghz P4 533fsb and no graphics(onboard).
> My plan is to go with the following things for my upgrade.
>
> -ASUS P4P800-VM (mATX)
> -MSI RX9800PRO
> -2*512Mb corsair dual channel ram
> -THERMALTAKE 420W PSU
> -A new heatsink
>
> Just to double check, this upgrade is possible right? If so, have i
> missed anything i might need? Any suggestions for better components for
> around the same price? Will my old memory work with the new computer?
> For anyone who has done this upgrade, is it difficult, any problems you
> encountered? Any comments are welcome.
>
> -Rob

What you want to do is perfectly possible, but honestly you're about two
components (CPU & HDD) short of a new computer. Also, I hope you're
aware that simply going to a new motherboard that's capable of 800MHz
FSB will not make your CPU's BUS run at that speed if it isn't slated
for it. Also don't plan to combine your current RAM with your new DDR
ones (unless they're the same speed, CAS, etc. as your current, in which
you might as well buy a third module or only get one -- DDR only works
in pairs). Also there's little reason to up the heatsink/fan unless
you're changing the CPU or thinking of overclocking (now that I think
about it is probably more of why you want a new mobo than the faster
chipset). If you do plan to overclock, I'd highly suggest a new case
with a lot of slots for fans (the 9800 will be throwing out a lot of
heat as well). Also unlike what other posters have said, avoid any case
that comes with it's own power supply unit -- 90% of the time they're
junk (they list peak wattage bur don't operate anywhere neard that).

Personally if I was in your position, I'd just hold off until I can
afford a new CPU + case and then just build a new computer. As for
better components for the same price, that all depends on how much all
this is going to cost you. If you haven't already, be sure to check for
sales at Frys (www.outpost.com), newegg.com, and pricewatch.com.

> If i use my old HD, that already has xp installed on ths do i have to
> re-install windows? My dad used my XP disk that came with the dell to
> intall xp on an old dell, its working fine on both computers already, I
> thought xp had some kind of protection against multiple computers
> running this, but if the disk installed on another computer once,
> shouldnt it work again?
>
> I guessI'll buy a new case, i just feel bad throwing my old one out
> after less than a year of use. Any suggestions for the motherboard? I'm
> looking at an A-bit AI7 if i get a ATX board.

You are aware that if you continue to use this license, and your Dad does
too, then you are STEALING a copy of XP?

What you are doing is WHY Microsoft has to tighten down their activation
rules.

Tom

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:48:43 +0000, Tom Scales wrote:

> "rbowes" <damn_wall_2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> If i use my old HD, that already has xp installed on ths do i have to
>> re-install windows? My dad used my XP disk that came with the dell to
>> intall xp on an old dell, its working fine on both computers already, I
>> thought xp had some kind of protection against multiple computers
>> running this, but if the disk installed on another computer once,
>> shouldnt it work again?
>>
>> I guessI'll buy a new case, i just feel bad throwing my old one out
>> after less than a year of use. Any suggestions for the motherboard? I'm
>> looking at an A-bit AI7 if i get a ATX board.
>>

> You are aware that if you continue to use this license, and your Dad does
> too, then you are STEALING a copy of XP?
>
> What you are doing is WHY Microsoft has to tighten down their activation
> rules.

According to Microsoft and the OEM agreement - the OEM version of XP is
tied to the first computer it's installed on and may not be moved to any
other computer. Microsoft also states to OEM's that the computer is
considered to be the Motherboard and that the Motherboard may only be
changed to replace a defective one - replacing a motherboard as an upgrade
invalidates the OEM licensing for XP.

So, his building a new system, motherboard and such, inside the same case
automatically makes his Dell OEM license invalid.

If he tries to move the license to another computer, it's also invalid.

His only option is to purchase another OEM XP License when he purchases
the new motherboard (or other hardware) - OEM XP Prof runs about $140.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

XP doesn't take well to being transplanted from one system to another.
Do not try the move without a full backup of the drive - the most common
reaction to the transplant will be a blue screen, and often, a corrupt disc.

The Dell XP CD is tied to the Dell BIOS and will not require activation
(or even a product key) on a Dell system when installed on a blank drive.

If you install it OVER another install, it will require activation - and
Microsoft has now disallowed activation of OEM Windows over the Internet
so you'd have to call them.

If you try to install the XP on a non-Dell board, it will install and
require activation, which will mean you'll have to call Microsoft and
explain the need. Some have reported MS will do this; technically,
they don't have to, since the original copy was licensed to Dell for use
on a Dell system, and once you replace the mainboard, you no longer have
a Dell, but a "white box" system.

rbowes wrote:
> If i use my old HD, that already has xp installed on ths do i have to
> re-install windows? My dad used my XP disk that came with the dell to
> intall xp on an old dell, its working fine on both computers already, I
> thought xp had some kind of protection against multiple computers
> running this, but if the disk installed on another computer once,
> shouldnt it work again?
>
> I guessI'll buy a new case, i just feel bad throwing my old one out
> after less than a year of use. Any suggestions for the motherboard? I'm
> looking at an A-bit AI7 if i get a ATX board.

Thanks a lot guys. After thinking about it, I think it might be best to
go for the whole new computer. That way I can get a nice PCI-e video
card, a faster CPU and a new copy of XP(I guess my dad can keep the old
one). Too bad this means i need to wait till summer. I'll have to
dream about the system till then. Also if i get a whole new system, I
think i can sell my Dell for a bit more, since it will be all together.
Any idea if there will be any major price drops or new stuff in the
next month or two?

-Rob