Dell Spare Parts

I have never posted here. But, tomight I bought a Dimension 8400 off of
ebay. It did not have a floppy drive. So I thought I would call spare
parts and order one. I could hardly understand the lady. I would repeat
myself slowly, but it did not help. Does anyone have the number for the kit?
I have read the stories her for the last several years always wondering what
was true. But now I know that the stories are true about service.

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Wayne Brownlee wrote:

> I have never posted here. But, tomight I bought a Dimension 8400 off of
> ebay. It did not have a floppy drive. So I thought I would call spare
> parts and order one. I could hardly understand the lady. I would repeat
> myself slowly, but it did not help. Does anyone have the number for the kit?
> I have read the stories her for the last several years always wondering what
> was true. But now I know that the stories are true about service.

Go to Dell's website and do a search for floppy drive, or enter the Dell
part number for the following drives and search for it. They have a Belkin 3.5
inch internal floppy drive for $28.95. Dell part #A0389929. They also have
an I/O Magic 3.5 inch internal floppy drive for $14.95. Dell part #A0062610.
I don't think you need to buy the drive from Dell, any floppy drive should
install okay in your Dimension 8400.

"Mikey" <Not_Here@Not_There_Either.nope> wrote in message

> Wayne Brownlee wrote:
>
>> I have never posted here. But, tomight I bought a Dimension 8400 off of
>> ebay. It did not have a floppy drive. So I thought I would call spare
>> parts and order one. I could hardly understand the lady. I would repeat
>> myself slowly, but it did not help. Does anyone have the number for the
>> kit?
>> I have read the stories her for the last several years always wondering
>> what
>> was true. But now I know that the stories are true about service.
>
> Go to Dell's website and do a search for floppy drive, or enter the Dell
> part number for the following drives and search for it. They have a
> Belkin 3.5
> inch internal floppy drive for $28.95. Dell part #A0389929. They also
> have
> an I/O Magic 3.5 inch internal floppy drive for $14.95. Dell part
> #A0062610.
> I don't think you need to buy the drive from Dell, any floppy drive should
> install okay in your Dimension 8400.

The 8400 model can use a standard retail floppy drive (be sure to get one in
black). The drive rails and screws for mounting them to the FDD are inside
the system case, or should be.

The FDD should cost no more than $10.

Stew

Consider an external - that way you will have it for your next pc. $9.99 at CompUSA during their "birthday sale"

"Wayne Brownlee" <wbrownlee@pldi.net> wrote in message news:112vb1rgrp35odf@corp.supernews.com...
>I have never posted here. But, tomight I bought a Dimension 8400 off of
> ebay. It did not have a floppy drive. So I thought I would call spare
> parts and order one. I could hardly understand the lady. I would repeat
> myself slowly, but it did not help. Does anyone have the number for the kit?
> I have read the stories her for the last several years always wondering what
> was true. But now I know that the stories are true about service.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Wayne Brownlee <wbrownlee@pldi.net> wrote:
> I have never posted here. But, tomight I bought a Dimension 8400 off of
> ebay. It did not have a floppy drive. So I thought I would call spare
> parts and order one. I could hardly understand the lady. I would repeat
> myself slowly, but it did not help. Does anyone have the number for the kit?
> I have read the stories her for the last several years always wondering what
> was true. But now I know that the stories are true about service.

Hi Wayne,

Floppies are standard and I would suggest not buying this from Dell
unless... You need rails. Make sure you have some. I think Dell
normally stashes the rails inside the chassis. If you have rails,
there's no reason to deal with Dell at all. Go buy the drive from
www.newegg.com or locally.

Alternatively, you can go with an external USB floppy. These are
extremely useful for that "once every six months" floppy drive crisis.

HTH

"BobLeavitt" <robertl101@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Consider an external - that way you will have it for your next pc. $9.99 at
CompUSA during their "birthday sale"

<snip>

If it's a 250mb drive, that's a deal. Individual zip disks would cost
nearly that or more :)

Stew