Network Login Problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 9, 2004 6:56:26 AM

For many years my office has had a stable small network (~20 stations) with
a domain server. I recently added a Netgear AP configured to use WPA-PKA
authentication and TKIP encryption. My wireless devices can all access the
network via the wireless node, my problem is with logging into the system.
If the only active network connection to my tablet PC is via the wireless
AP, login usually fails with a message that the network is unavailable and
at logout there is a message that the user's roaming profile could not be
updated because the network drive was inaccessible. I have noticed that
once I log in with a local profile the wireless connection is initially down
but then can be established and I can browse the network, though I have to
authenticate before attaching to a network drive. What's really weird is
that sometimes everything works fine (but just once before usual behavior
reappears)! I have set wireless properties to authenticate as guest if the
computer or user name is unavailable, I have also set the properties to
automatically connect to the AP. I have tried the tablets both with static
IP's and DHCP assigned addresses, all without changing this problem.

Is this normal behavior? If not, is it a configuration problem or a
hardware problem? Also important to know is that the tablets work just fine
with the network and domain server when they are wired.

Thanks for any help here.

JES

More about : network login problem

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 9, 2004 6:56:27 AM

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 02:56:26 GMT, "newsie" <nothere@not.ever> wrote:

>For many years my office has had a stable small network (~20 stations) with
>a domain server. I recently added a Netgear AP configured to use WPA-PKA
>authentication and TKIP encryption. My wireless devices can all access the
>network via the wireless node, my problem is with logging into the system.
>If the only active network connection to my tablet PC is via the wireless
>AP, login usually fails with a message that the network is unavailable and
>at logout there is a message that the user's roaming profile could not be
>updated because the network drive was inaccessible. I have noticed that
>once I log in with a local profile the wireless connection is initially down
>but then can be established and I can browse the network, though I have to
>authenticate before attaching to a network drive. What's really weird is
>that sometimes everything works fine (but just once before usual behavior
>reappears)! I have set wireless properties to authenticate as guest if the
>computer or user name is unavailable, I have also set the properties to
>automatically connect to the AP. I have tried the tablets both with static
>IP's and DHCP assigned addresses, all without changing this problem.
>
>Is this normal behavior?

You mean a Netgear AP malfunctioning? Yes, it is normal for Netgear
products to malfunction.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 9, 2004 8:11:18 AM

I have seen posts flaming Netgear equipment on this board and would not be
surprised if what I have is a hardware problem. Now... how about a reply
that really contains some information?

JES

!