SSD and Win 7 problems

gruschow

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I have Win 7 64 Ultimate 64 bit. My computer has a 975 cpu in an Asus Rampage m/b. It is used mainly to run M/S flight simulator X.

I have a 300 gig SSD disk partitioned into two drives , C: and D: and also a 300 gig Velociraptor, E: which is used for backups and installing Beta programs.
One morning I started my computer and it refused to boot. I managed to boot from my win 7 disk. I then discovered that while my three drives were still intact the contents of all three were not. C: was full. D: was partly full and E: was completely empty. The jumbled drives were completely illogocal. Parts of windows were spread over C: and D:
I wasn't going to even try and sort them out.
Anyway I got everything installed and working again.. Including 15 gigs of downloads!
Twenty four hours later I noticed that FSX, on D: , was getting very slow in loading.
On checking I found some FSX files were in C: I managed to drag them back where they belonged.
Now two weeks later I have had no further problems.
The only explanations I have had:
SSD drives don't like being partitioned.
FSX was written for 32 bit not 64 bit.
I have had this computer for about a year and it has given no trouble, so I don't think either of these reasons is relevant.

I also discovered that there was no simple way to remove Win7. My solution was to boot off an XP disk and go through the instalation process as far as "format C:". As soon as the format was completed I removed the XP disk and put in the 7 disk and installed.
I am wondering if I would be better served bt getting win 7 32 bit and getting rid of the 64 bit.

The joys of computers!
Jack Gruschow

Can't comment on your other problems but this one is easy, assuming you're using the Windows 7 install disc. You just need to:

- Choose the "Custom" install option

- Click the "Drive Options (Advanced)" link on the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen

- Delete all the partitions and then select the unpartitioned space to install Windows in.

Oh, OK. You said that after formatting with the XP disk you removed it, put the 7 disk in and installed, so I assumed that's what your goal was. Maybe I missed something - you wanted to reformat the drive so that you could use it for.... what?

At any rate, you can either reformat the drive as part of any OS installation (including Windows 7) or you attach it to any running system and reformat it as a data drive.

gruschow

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Win 7 does NOT give me any way to format the C: drive. I wanted to format it and then re- install Win 7.
The only way I could find to install it was to do an install with the XP disk. Get as far as "format" and then remove the XP disk. Then insert the Win 7 disk and install.
If there's a simpler way I can't find it.

"At any rate, you can either reformat the drive as part of any OS installation (including Windows 7) ." There is NOT a format option.

There should be. Try this:

- Insert the Windows 7 installation disc and boot from it.

- Press a key when the "Press any Key to Boot from CD or DVD" prompt appears

- Click "Next" in the "Enter your language and other preferences..." screen

- Click the "Install Now ->" button on the next screen

- Click "Next" on the license terms screen

- Click "Custom (advanced)" on the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen

- Click the "Drive Options (Advanced)" link on the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen

The next screen will show the partitions on the disk and give you options to delete, create, extend or format them.

gruschow

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Click the "Drive Options (Advanced)" link on the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen

Yes I do all that, but all I get is the drive options. No mention of format.

So you do see the "Drive Options (Advanced)" link? And when you click it, do you not see a screen like this (apologies for the moire):

Windows-Install-Format.jpg

What version and edition of Windows 7 do you have? Is it OEM or Retail? Upgrade or full?

That's odd. You're actually booting from the DVD, right? And not trying to just run it as a program under a system that was booted from the hard drive?

I don't have the OEM version so I can't confirm whether or not its a limitation of that version. Or perhaps a side effect of the issues you were having on the drive?

TRENDING THREADS