Help and Administrative Tools

whenever I try to open Help form the start menu or administrative tools from
the control panel menu a windows explorer error popup appears. this has been
going on for a couple of days now and other than that the os is stable. any
ideas?

Do these popups have any words in them? These words may be clues.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A37CA0E6-AFDE-4247-8B8E-DE00D41DA286@microsoft.com,
champayne <champayne@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Do these popups have any words in them? These words may be clues.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:A37CA0E6-AFDE-4247-8B8E-DE00D41DA286@microsoft.com,
> champayne <champayne@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > whenever I try to open Help form the start menu or administrative tools
> > from the control panel menu a windows explorer error popup appears. this
> > has been going on for a couple of days now and other than that the os is
> > stable. any ideas?

Here's the infor on the popup

Microsoft Help and Support Center

Microsoft Help and Support Center has encountered a
problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on
might be lost.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
We have created an error report that you can send to help us improve
Microsoft Help and Support Center. We will treat this report as confidential
and anonymous.

To see what data this error report contains, click here.

Error signature
AppName: helpctr.exe
AppVer: 5.1.2600.2180
ModName: shdocvs.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2900.2627
Offset: 00029c94

I saved the file that Microsoft generated for the error if you'd like to see
that too.

shdocvs.dll does not seem to be an XP file. I can find no info at all about
it.

Do a Search on your machine for shdocvs.dll.

If/when found note the path to the folder it's in.

Right click shdocvs.dll and select Properties.

Look under every tab for any info that may tell what it is.

I suspect malware.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes