Forever Stuck in Safe Mode???

I have been stuck in safe mode for about a month now. Everytime that I run
the system restore it takes a very long time to reboot. However, during the
system restore a window pops up telling me that my system is low on virtual
memory and that requests will take a long time. After waiting for hours my
computer will occasionally finish the system restore, then restart, but will
never return to normal mode... only asking me to restart in normal mode or
the last good configuration(both of which don't work but just restarts my
computer taking me to the same screen). So my only working option is to
select safe mode with networking. Please help me!! What can I do to get back
to normal windows xp??

-DB
4 answers Last reply
More about forever stuck safe mode

    start>run>
    type: msconfig

    check: normalstart
    in boot.ini: uncheck everything and make sure your multi(0)disc...... is the
    prefered way of starting the PC

    --
    ---------------------------------------
    http://www.fast-rewind.com

    "DB" wrote:

    > I have been stuck in safe mode for about a month now. Everytime that I run
    > the system restore it takes a very long time to reboot. However, during the
    > system restore a window pops up telling me that my system is low on virtual
    > memory and that requests will take a long time. After waiting for hours my
    > computer will occasionally finish the system restore, then restart, but will
    > never return to normal mode... only asking me to restart in normal mode or
    > the last good configuration(both of which don't work but just restarts my
    > computer taking me to the same screen). So my only working option is to
    > select safe mode with networking. Please help me!! What can I do to get back
    > to normal windows xp??
    >
    > -DB

    Get a backup of all your files, email, etc.

    If PC is from a box maker get their system restore CD out and nuke the bad
    boy back to how they sent it to you. If it's a whitebox grab your XP CD and
    try a repair first and then if that doesn't work do a full reinstall.

    You'll spend more time fighting with it trying to get whatever is causing
    the problem fixed than just flattening the started over would take.

    "DB" <DB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have been stuck in safe mode for about a month now. Everytime that I
    run
    > the system restore it takes a very long time to reboot. However, during
    the
    > system restore a window pops up telling me that my system is low on
    virtual
    > memory and that requests will take a long time. After waiting for hours
    my
    > computer will occasionally finish the system restore, then restart, but
    will
    > never return to normal mode... only asking me to restart in normal mode or
    > the last good configuration(both of which don't work but just restarts my
    > computer taking me to the same screen). So my only working option is to
    > select safe mode with networking. Please help me!! What can I do to get
    back
    > to normal windows xp??
    >
    > -DB

    In boot.ini in the msconfig everything is unckecked, it is was set on normal
    mode and the default startup script reads multi(0)disk...... etc...
    Everything you said is how it is. I dont have the xp disk or my original box
    as my computer is about 10 years old. Any other suggestions?? Please help
    me. Thanks

    -DB

    "Nicoliani â„¢" wrote:

    > start>run>
    > type: msconfig
    >
    > check: normalstart
    > in boot.ini: uncheck everything and make sure your multi(0)disc...... is the
    > prefered way of starting the PC

    > http://www.fast-rewind.com
    > ---------------------------------------
    >

    > "DB" wrote:
    >
    > > I have been stuck in safe mode for about a month now. Everytime that I run
    > > the system restore it takes a very long time to reboot. However, during the
    > > system restore a window pops up telling me that my system is low on virtual
    > > memory and that requests will take a long time. After waiting for hours my
    > > computer will occasionally finish the system restore, then restart, but will
    > > never return to normal mode... only asking me to restart in normal mode or
    > > the last good configuration(both of which don't work but just restarts my
    > > computer taking me to the same screen). So my only working option is to
    > > select safe mode with networking. Please help me!! What can I do to get back
    > > to normal windows xp??
    > >
    > > -DB

    If your pc is that old you might have a low RAM-memory. That can make things
    run slow.
    start>run>sysdm.cpl
    in advance you can change the settings for virtual memory. Prefered is that
    you set it for windows to handle it.
    --
    ---------------------------------------
    http://www.fast-rewind.com

    "DB" wrote:

    > In boot.ini in the msconfig everything is unckecked, it is was set on normal
    > mode and the default startup script reads multi(0)disk...... etc...
    > Everything you said is how it is. I dont have the xp disk or my original box
    > as my computer is about 10 years old. Any other suggestions?? Please help
    > me. Thanks
    >
    > -DB
    >

    > "Nicoliani â„¢" wrote:
    >
    > > start>run>
    > > type: msconfig
    > >
    > > check: normalstart
    > > in boot.ini: uncheck everything and make sure your multi(0)disc...... is the
    > > prefered way of starting the PC
    > >

    > > --
    > > ---------------------------------------
    > > http://www.fast-rewind.com
    > > ---------------------------------------
    > >

    > > "DB" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have been stuck in safe mode for about a month now. Everytime that I run
    > > > the system restore it takes a very long time to reboot. However, during the
    > > > system restore a window pops up telling me that my system is low on virtual
    > > > memory and that requests will take a long time. After waiting for hours my
    > > > computer will occasionally finish the system restore, then restart, but will
    > > > never return to normal mode... only asking me to restart in normal mode or
    > > > the last good configuration(both of which don't work but just restarts my
    > > > computer taking me to the same screen). So my only working option is to
    > > > select safe mode with networking. Please help me!! What can I do to get back
    > > > to normal windows xp??
    > > >
    > > > -DB

Safe Mode System Restore Windows XP