HDD built in password after chkdsk

I ran checkdisk on my Toshiba laptop last night - when I woke up this morning
I was greeted at a dos screen prompting me for my "built in HDD password" - I
take a couple shots at it using my admin password or just hitting enter and
the computer shuts down (apparently because it only gives me a couple tries
to get it right) I'm running XP PRO. Is this password set by Toshiba, or is
it a Windows XP Pro password? Is there a way to get past this?
--
thanks,
2 answers Last reply

    How to log on to Windows XP if you forget your password or your password
    expired
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321305
    --
    Today is the first day of the rest of
    your life.

    "Mike" wrote:

    > I ran checkdisk on my Toshiba laptop last night - when I woke up this morning
    > I was greeted at a dos screen prompting me for my "built in HDD password" - I
    > take a couple shots at it using my admin password or just hitting enter and
    > the computer shuts down (apparently because it only gives me a couple tries
    > to get it right) I'm running XP PRO. Is this password set by Toshiba, or is
    > it a Windows XP Pro password? Is there a way to get past this?
    > --
    > thanks,

    it's not a windows password. i get this before the windows log in screen.
    it's asking for a "hdd built in password"
    --
    thanks,

    "Byte" wrote:

    > How to log on to Windows XP if you forget your password or your password
    > expired
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321305
    > --
    > Today is the first day of the rest of
    > your life.
    >

    > "Mike" wrote:
    >
    > > I ran checkdisk on my Toshiba laptop last night - when I woke up this morning
    > > I was greeted at a dos screen prompting me for my "built in HDD password" - I
    > > take a couple shots at it using my admin password or just hitting enter and
    > > the computer shuts down (apparently because it only gives me a couple tries
    > > to get it right) I'm running XP PRO. Is this password set by Toshiba, or is
    > > it a Windows XP Pro password? Is there a way to get past this?
    > > --
    > > thanks,

Chkdsk Hard Drives Windows XP