Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SMSing with AT&T Wireless phones

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 2, 2004 10:16:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Does anyone have any experience with SMSing with AT&T Wireless phones in
the States? I have a friend on AT&T GSM in southern California who can't
receive SMSs from me, but I can receive them from her. Fido's blaming AT&T
and AT&T's blaming Fido. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with
this combination?

More about : smsing wireless phones

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 3, 2004 7:59:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On 2004-10-02 14:16:17 -0400, "Steven Hurdle" <ya830@victoria.tc.ca> said:

> Does anyone have any experience with SMSing with AT&T Wireless phones in
> the States? I have a friend on AT&T GSM in southern California who can't
> receive SMSs from me, but I can receive them from her. Fido's blaming AT&T
> and AT&T's blaming Fido. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with
> this combination?

i'm getting something like that with a friend of mine from cingular.

--
-justin
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 3, 2004 8:47:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Justin McKillican wrote:
> > Does anyone have any experience with SMSing with AT&T Wireless phones in
> i'm getting something like that with a friend of mine from cingular.

You'd think that ever since Fido started nickel and diming us for SMS
messages, that they would have then started to be more serious about ensurint
that SMS worked the way it was supposed to work across all GSM carriers.

But they still seem to have the "sorry, we don't support SMS outside our
network" mentality. And we can't expect that to change since Fido is probably
already planning how it will wind down operations.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 3, 2004 2:22:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 04:47:24 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

> Justin McKillican wrote:
>> > Does anyone have any experience with SMSing with AT&T Wireless
>> > phones in
>> i'm getting something like that with a friend of mine from cingular.
>
> You'd think that ever since Fido started nickel and diming us for SMS
> messages, that they would have then started to be more serious about
> ensurint that SMS worked the way it was supposed to work across all GSM
> carriers.

Why would you think that? If you knew anything about Fido you'd have known
that stance wouldn't change.

SMS outside their network is out of their control, they will NEVER be able
to guarantee anything with it, and since obviously so few complain they
simply didn't assign the resources to change that.

> But they still seem to have the "sorry, we don't support SMS outside our
> network" mentality. And we can't expect that to change since Fido is
> probably already planning how it will wind down operations.

Every service provider is like that. Try asking Bell Sympatico to support
a BSD box...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 3, 2004 6:45:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

I'm on Fido & have been text messaging (successfully) my friend on Cingular
who lives in Orange County.

"Justin McKillican" <justin@mckill.removethis.alsothis.ca> wrote in message
news:2004100303593643658%justin@mckillremovethisalsothisca...
> On 2004-10-02 14:16:17 -0400, "Steven Hurdle" <ya830@victoria.tc.ca> said:
>
> > Does anyone have any experience with SMSing with AT&T Wireless phones
in
> > the States? I have a friend on AT&T GSM in southern California who
can't
> > receive SMSs from me, but I can receive them from her. Fido's blaming
AT&T
> > and AT&T's blaming Fido. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience
with
> > this combination?
>
> i'm getting something like that with a friend of mine from cingular.
>
> --
> -justin
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 3, 2004 9:57:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

repatch wrote:
> SMS outside their network is out of their control, they will NEVER be able
> to guarantee anything with it, and since obviously so few complain they
> simply didn't assign the resources to change that.

International calls are out of Bell Canada's control. Yet, they are pretty
well able to provide service to just about any place on earth and they workl
hard to do it because it generates revenus.

Sorry, but that excuse is bullshit.

If a customer calls to advise SMS betwene Fido and XXX does not work in one
direction, you'd expect Fido to do some research and then come back to the
customer and advise that it was XXX which decided to block SMS from FIDO for
reason YYY.

And then you'd expect FIDO to have an uptodate list of networks with whom
bidirexctional SMS is possible because of agreements between networks, and a
list of networks known to block SMS.

I have a very strong suspicion that the techies at Microcell have such lists,
but they are not available to the low level 4 leggel furry CSRs who answer
calls from customers.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 3, 2004 10:41:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On 2004-10-03 04:47:24 -0400, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> said:

> You'd think that ever since Fido started nickel and diming us for SMS
> messages, that they would have then started to be more serious about ensurint
> that SMS worked the way it was supposed to work across all GSM carriers.
>
> But they still seem to have the "sorry, we don't support SMS outside our
> network" mentality. And we can't expect that to change since Fido is probably
> already planning how it will wind down operations.

another annoying thing is that MMS doesn't work at all outside of Fido.

--
-justin
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 3, 2004 10:52:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:57:56 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

> repatch wrote:
> Sorry, but that excuse is bullshit.

You may be able to make a good point JF if you didn't stoop to the level
of profanity. Very sad.
October 4, 2004 12:17:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 18:41:17 -0400, Justin McKillican
<justin@mckill.removethis.alsothis.ca> wrote:

>On 2004-10-03 04:47:24 -0400, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> said:
>
>> You'd think that ever since Fido started nickel and diming us for SMS
>> messages, that they would have then started to be more serious about ensurint
>> that SMS worked the way it was supposed to work across all GSM carriers.
>>
>> But they still seem to have the "sorry, we don't support SMS outside our
>> network" mentality. And we can't expect that to change since Fido is probably
>> already planning how it will wind down operations.
>
>another annoying thing is that MMS doesn't work at all outside of Fido.

I don't know of *any* network that supports MMS outside of their
network do you?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
!