Computer Has g Adapter - Router Is b - Any Hope?

I just bought a new HP laptop with a built-in wireless adapter. It is
a Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g. I didn't know when I bought it
that it was not g/b. My router, and most of my system is the b spec.
Is there anything I can do besides replacing all my b hardware?

Dick
9 answers Last reply
More about computer adapter router hope

    Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in news:s1ac709iu8e0b7mn97jrvev0vj5npkiup6@4ax.com:

    > Is there anything I can do besides replacing all my b hardware?

    G is backwards compatible with B.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 05:33:49 GMT, Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com>
    wrote:

    >Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in news:s1ac709iu8e0b7mn97jrvev0vj5npkiup6@4ax.com:
    >
    >> Is there anything I can do besides replacing all my b hardware?
    >
    >G is backwards compatible with B.

    The Broadcom 54g with Afterburner is significantly faster than a
    normal g adapter. The spec says it is backwards compatible with the
    normal g standard, but says nothing about compatibility with the b
    standard.

    Broadcom Ships New 54gT Technology that Delivers Best Real-World
    Wi-Fi® Performance

    802.11g Standards Enhancement Provides Additional Speed for Home
    Wireless Networks While Remaining Compatible with All Wi-Fi CERTIFIEDT
    802.11b/g Products

    Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

    > I just bought a new HP laptop with a built-in wireless adapter. It is
    > a Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g. I didn't know when I bought it
    > that it was not g/b. My router, and most of my system is the b spec.
    > Is there anything I can do besides replacing all my b hardware?

    You're fine. "g" hardware supports connections with "b", though only that
    the lower "b" speed.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:55:51 GMT, James Knott <bit_bucket@rogers.com>
    wrote:

    >Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
    >
    >> I just bought a new HP laptop with a built-in wireless adapter. It is
    >> a Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g. I didn't know when I bought it
    >> that it was not g/b. My router, and most of my system is the b spec.
    >> Is there anything I can do besides replacing all my b hardware?
    >
    >You're fine. "g" hardware supports connections with "b", though only that
    >the lower "b" speed.

    Others have said the same, but the adapter is seeing two networks from
    neighbors, but doesn't see mine.

    Dick

    Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

    > On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 05:33:49 GMT, Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Is there anything I can do besides replacing all my b hardware?
    >>
    >>G is backwards compatible with B.
    >
    > The Broadcom 54g with Afterburner is significantly faster than a
    > normal g adapter. The spec says it is backwards compatible with the
    > normal g standard, but says nothing about compatibility with the b
    > standard.

    As I recall, backwards compatibility with 802.11b, is a requirement for
    802.11g hardware.

    --

    In article <avhd70llibldc0keaplusc7ibp02q3ii79@4ax.com>, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
    >On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:55:51 GMT, James Knott <bit_bucket@rogers.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just bought a new HP laptop with a built-in wireless adapter. It is
    >>> a Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g. I didn't know when I bought it
    >>> that it was not g/b. My router, and most of my system is the b spec.
    >>> Is there anything I can do besides replacing all my b hardware?
    >>
    >>You're fine. "g" hardware supports connections with "b", though only that
    >>the lower "b" speed.
    >
    >Others have said the same, but the adapter is seeing two networks from
    >neighbors, but doesn't see mine.
    >
    >Dick

    SSID turned on aa the AP? Get right next to your AP and rescan for networks
    (card likely prefers the faster networks, but should see your fine). I know
    this sounds silly, but the AP is turned on...

    On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 16:37:38 GMT, rico_001@hotmail.com (Rico) wrote:

    >In article <avhd70llibldc0keaplusc7ibp02q3ii79@4ax.com>, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
    >>On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:55:51 GMT, James Knott <bit_bucket@rogers.com>
    >>wrote:

    >>>You're fine. "g" hardware supports connections with "b", though only that
    >>>the lower "b" speed.
    >>
    >>Others have said the same, but the adapter is seeing two networks from
    >>neighbors, but doesn't see mine.
    >>
    >>Dick
    >
    >SSID turned on aa the AP? Get right next to your AP and rescan for networks
    >(card likely prefers the faster networks, but should see your fine). I know
    >this sounds silly, but the AP is turned on...

    I solved my problem , but don't know why. I changed the security key
    from 128-bit to 64-bit, and all computers now see each other. What is
    puzzling is that the router and all adapters are spec'd for 128-bit
    security. I had been using 128-bit all along with my "B" network.
    But when I added the new laptop with the Broadcom "G" adapter, it
    couldn't connect no matter what I did. It's fixed, so I'm happy, but
    would rather have 128-bit.

    Dick

    In article <nkhj70ddhth8q4bnq2bnfjcesv2vnukd4i@4ax.com>, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:
    >On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 16:37:38 GMT, rico_001@hotmail.com (Rico) wrote:
    >
    >>In article <avhd70llibldc0keaplusc7ibp02q3ii79@4ax.com>, Dick <LeadWinger>
    > wrote:

    >>>Others have said the same, but the adapter is seeing two networks from
    >>>neighbors, but doesn't see mine.
    >>>
    >>>Dick
    >>
    >>SSID turned on aa the AP? Get right next to your AP and rescan for networks
    >>(card likely prefers the faster networks, but should see your fine). I know
    >>this sounds silly, but the AP is turned on...
    >
    >I solved my problem , but don't know why. I changed the security key
    >from 128-bit to 64-bit, and all computers now see each other. What is
    >puzzling is that the router and all adapters are spec'd for 128-bit
    >security. I had been using 128-bit all along with my "B" network.
    >But when I added the new laptop with the Broadcom "G" adapter, it
    >couldn't connect no matter what I did. It's fixed, so I'm happy, but
    >would rather have 128-bit.
    >
    >Dick

    Sounds like a vendor issue. I'd see if Broadcom has a new driver available.
    Note also whenever you encounter a similar issue turn off all encryption
    and such until things are seeing each other and working, then start
    encryption and security. Until the thing works, there is nothing to
    secure...

Routers Wireless Networking