cheap gaming video card?

bymindx

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2004
I think my video card is way too old to live up to todays game expectations. Anyway, with all those video cards out in the market, I just want to know which one is a reasonable pick? My budget is around 100 to 150 US, any suggestions?

tmlim

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
I'd go with a Radeon 9600 Pro or XT if you can.

"A delayed game will eventually come out, a bad game is bad forever."
-Shigeru Miyamoto

cleeve

Illustrious
IN the $150 US range you could find yourself a radeon 9700 PRO... maybe a 9800 PRO if you're lucky... those cards are still quite powerful and the best bang for the $150 buck.

For less than that, go 9600 PRO or XT.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Such a recommendation might lead him to a 128-bit 9800 Pro, which would offer similar performance to a 9600XT.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Such a recommendation might lead him to a 128-bit 9800 Pro, which would offer similar performance to a 9600XT.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dionidis

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
Look if you want a new card try getting ATI 9600PRO/XT, but maybe you could get a used ATI 9800 PRO (256 MBit).
I would recomend geting a used 9800 PRO.

We stand as <A HREF="http://www.eurobolic.com" target="_new">One</A>!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The latest 9800 Pros from major companies such as Saphire and Powercolor are all 128-bit RAM versions. Few discount venders sell the 256-bit RAM versions because of the price war. So of course you have to warn them about 128-bit versions!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Exactly. If anything, the 9800 Pro 128-bit is, by ATI's naming convention, a 9500XT, based on the 9500 Pro card, clocked higher, newer core.