Having some serious difficulties

lucas

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2004

I have two computers, this one (in my mother's apartment) and another (at my
father's house).
This one is running completely fine but the other is really messed up.
Here are some general problems: (by the way i'm 15 and from sweden so my
english might not be the best)
- When I try to open up certain configuration windows (for example Accounts
in the Control Panel, Computer Restoration and the computer Search dialog)
nothing shows up, just an empty window! I have no idea why
- I can't seem to open certain websites, when I click on a link nothing
happens
- Some of my programs has disappeared or stopped working, e.g. Windows Media
Player

The most annoying problem is the one I mentioned the first, since that makes
me unable to use some standard actions. I'd really appreciate some help with
this or a link on some website where I could get help. Thanks!

Lucas, do you use the internet a lot? It could be that you have been
infected with Malware ( Virus, Spyware, Trojans, Adware ) If you can get on
the web try using all of these sites to check. If after using these sites
you still have problems you
may have to just start over and do either a Repair or Clean Install of
WinXP. Also install SP2 XP Update if you havent already done so.

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.webroot.com/

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

"Lucas" <Lucas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two computers, this one (in my mother's apartment) and another (at
>my
> father's house).
> This one is running completely fine but the other is really messed up.
> Here are some general problems: (by the way i'm 15 and from sweden so my
> english might not be the best)
> - When I try to open up certain configuration windows (for example
> Accounts
> in the Control Panel, Computer Restoration and the computer Search dialog)
> nothing shows up, just an empty window! I have no idea why
> - I can't seem to open certain websites, when I click on a link nothing
> happens
> - Some of my programs has disappeared or stopped working, e.g. Windows
> Media
> Player
>
> The most annoying problem is the one I mentioned the first, since that
> makes
> me unable to use some standard actions. I'd really appreciate some help
> with
> this or a link on some website where I could get help. Thanks!

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509