Having some serious difficulties

I have two computers, this one (in my mother's apartment) and another (at my
father's house).
This one is running completely fine but the other is really messed up.
Here are some general problems: (by the way i'm 15 and from sweden so my
english might not be the best)
- When I try to open up certain configuration windows (for example Accounts
in the Control Panel, Computer Restoration and the computer Search dialog)
nothing shows up, just an empty window! I have no idea why
- I can't seem to open certain websites, when I click on a link nothing
happens
- Some of my programs has disappeared or stopped working, e.g. Windows Media
Player

The most annoying problem is the one I mentioned the first, since that makes
me unable to use some standard actions. I'd really appreciate some help with
this or a link on some website where I could get help. Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about having difficulties

    Lucas, do you use the internet a lot? It could be that you have been
    infected with Malware ( Virus, Spyware, Trojans, Adware ) If you can get on
    the web try using all of these sites to check. If after using these sites
    you still have problems you
    may have to just start over and do either a Repair or Clean Install of
    WinXP. Also install SP2 XP Update if you havent already done so.

    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    http://www.webroot.com/

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

    "Lucas" <Lucas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have two computers, this one (in my mother's apartment) and another (at
    >my
    > father's house).
    > This one is running completely fine but the other is really messed up.
    > Here are some general problems: (by the way i'm 15 and from sweden so my
    > english might not be the best)
    > - When I try to open up certain configuration windows (for example
    > Accounts
    > in the Control Panel, Computer Restoration and the computer Search dialog)
    > nothing shows up, just an empty window! I have no idea why
    > - I can't seem to open certain websites, when I click on a link nothing
    > happens
    > - Some of my programs has disappeared or stopped working, e.g. Windows
    > Media
    > Player
    >
    > The most annoying problem is the one I mentioned the first, since that
    > makes
    > me unable to use some standard actions. I'd really appreciate some help
    > with
    > this or a link on some website where I could get help. Thanks!

    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
    2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "Lucas" <Lucas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2FFA6A4E-3350-460F-83D1-200C4A1411E3@microsoft.com...
    >I have two computers, this one (in my mother's apartment) and another (at my
    > father's house).
    > This one is running completely fine but the other is really messed up.
    > Here are some general problems: (by the way i'm 15 and from sweden so my
    > english might not be the best)
    > - When I try to open up certain configuration windows (for example Accounts
    > in the Control Panel, Computer Restoration and the computer Search dialog)
    > nothing shows up, just an empty window! I have no idea why
    > - I can't seem to open certain websites, when I click on a link nothing
    > happens
    > - Some of my programs has disappeared or stopped working, e.g. Windows Media
    > Player
    >
    > The most annoying problem is the one I mentioned the first, since that makes
    > me unable to use some standard actions. I'd really appreciate some help with
    > this or a link on some website where I could get help. Thanks!

Windows XP