9200SE + LCD monitor

v0iTek

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
Hi all, i recently purchased a system for my friend which included an Asus A7N8X-X motherboard, Asus 9200SE VGA card and a Philips 19" 190P5EB LCD monitor. I tried running a DVD through both Media player 10and winDVD 6.
In winDVD it comes up with the error "Create overlay failed lower screen res or colour depth" so after dropping it down to 800x600 16bpp i figured it would work, but it didnt. Actually nothing does, ive tried all the options involving DVI in the ATI settings but to no avail, i still get no movie playback. In Media Player 10 it just plays the sound. Any ideas?

Native DVD is 640x480 try that, let your LCD upscale the image not your card (since it doesn't have the power).

Also try running on a different player program. You picked two limited and finicky ones.

Did you get the ATI player with your card (it it OEM or BBA)? Give it a try.

It's often possible to add the DVD player, even on OEM cards, you just need to change the defaults in the install (like from DVD Install = 0 to 1), I did it when I first got my R9000. All Retail software was on the OEM CD, just hidden away.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Normally in Display Properties>Settings>Advanced>Displays, the primary VGA output will be set as primary, while the secondary DVI output will be set as secondary. The software is likely only allowing output to the primary display (VGA), there's a little button next to a picture of the display you need to check.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>