Issue with XP installing....maybe HDD SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

barticchia

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Hi to eveyone.

i got a Compaq Presario CQ61 with Windows 7 on it and i would to change it in XP.

i've inserted the XP cd's and blue window appear with an error...

reading forums, all people say the same thing:
this issue can be resolved changing (into the BIOS) the SATA HDD from AHCI to IDE or Compatibility mode.

so...

i have InsydeH20 Bios and (as i had read in this topic) i can't change this setting.

how can i figure out from this issue? how can i install Windows XP?

many thanks and sorry for my terrible english

bluerotkev

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
It is, mainly for Toshiba's HP's and Compaqs. It can be fixed but I can't guarantee the outcome. It involves you downloading a driver pack and integrating it into your XP install.

Check your PM

rockle

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Have you checked to see if your BIOS has an admin password set? If it has you will not be able to change any setting within the BIOS. You will be able to "see" the actual BIOS settings but not change them until you remove the BIOS admin password (ie, put in a blank password) and then switch off your computer and then go back in to the BIOS.

I have seen this problem on many occasions and it is mostly because the BIOS setting is not set to IDE. This is because Windows XP's setup does not recognise or support HDD's that are SATA disks so it can't install as it thinks there is no disk present in the computer.

In essence by changing the BIOS setting from AHCI to IDE fools Windows XP setup into believing that the SATA disk is in fact an IDE disk, which it isn't.

rockle

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Bluerotkev. I'm a HP Engineer and it's most likely not an XP thing but a BIOS setting. I've seen this a lot.

bluerotkev

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
I'm no engineer, I just had a scout around on google for "insydeh20 3.5 ahci to ide" 9th result down, with a reported fix for the above. :)

rockle

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
There is another way of doing this however. You can create a bootable USB drive and add the SATA driver for the computer. BUT, you need to use the MS bootable XP installer and make sure the SATA driver is integrated into the install files. I think that's what you're touching on.

It takes a little while to do but changing the BIOS setting from AHCI to IDE is far easier and quicker.

Windows XP instalation disk should not blue screen if the BIOS is set to AHCI, all that should happen is that you will not be able to see the SATA drives and you need to install the drivers by hitting the F6 key when prompted.
What is more likely is that the version of the XP disk that you are using is old and does not have SP3 installed which understands some of the more modern hardware. Google how to slipstream SP3 on to your disk.

barticchia

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
hello guys and many thanks for your support that is very very helpful...!!!!
anyway...

into the bios there isn't any admin password... is blank so i should to see all into the bios but it is not.

i'm trying to download the files...
the first one, works; the second (with jdownloader) is off-line.

can u (if possible) explain step by step the right direction to burn a new xp os?

this what i do:

1: i have an XP with SP3 on it.(already customize)
2: i've opened nlite and i've inserted the cd with xp on it.
3: i've chose the folder destination.
4: next steps appear the configuration... and i leave it blank.
5: i'm into the heart of the tool where i can choose the operation to follow.
6: i'm checking JUST Driver and create ISO (is it right??)
7: next window, appear and i have to insert the drivers ( i think the link that u post here)... and i'm trying to find something like *.inf (but into the unzip file, there aren't *.inf files)...

where i'm wrong?

if u can help me, i'll really thank u and i offer u something to drink (if u'll come here in Rome) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.