Closed

Removing Instant Messenger

May 26, 2005 12:31:07 AM

Hi all,
How do i remove instant messenger , the one that keeps popping up while i
surf the net with adds and messages about spyware removal tools.....

Thanks Shaun B
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 6:19:22 AM

Shaun, check at Kelly's http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_messenger.htm

"Shaun Bell" <fairmontxabc@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> How do i remove instant messenger , the one that keeps popping up while i
> surf the net with adds and messages about spyware removal tools.....
>
> Thanks Shaun B

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 8:50:01 AM

Hi Shaun

fortunately, you don't have to buy any additional software, the cure is
already there. Firstly, go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools -
Services. The list is alphabetical and you will find Messenger down the list.

Click on this file to open and in the General tab, you will see a "Startup
type:" title with a drop down menu to its right. You need to change that to
"Disabled" and then below you will see Service status:, with 4 tabs and you
need to click the "Stop" button. Make sure you also click on "Apply" at the
bottom before coming out of that window.

Next go back to Control Panel and choose Add/remove Windows Components.
Make sure everything is un-ticked except Windows Messenger and delete from
there. You may need to do this twice as the first time I tried this, all it
did was add any missing components rather than remove all.

This will stop 99.9% of your "messenger" pop-ups and remove Instant
Messenger itself but you should make sure you have a really decent anti virus
programme with a "pop-up" blocker included. If you don't have that then I
recommend you buy one like Nortons or MacAfee.

If you do receive the odd rare pop-up in future, then it is likely to be
through some proprietory software you have installed or upgraded so beware of
future downloading and I also recommend getting the Ad-aware free download to
check for these sorts of files.

"Shaun Bell" wrote:

> Hi all,
> How do i remove instant messenger , the one that keeps popping up while i
> surf the net with adds and messages about spyware removal tools.....
>
> Thanks Shaun B

May 26, 2005 12:36:05 PM

Shaun,

If the title bar reads as MESSENGER SERVICE, then it the world famous
Messenger SPAM / advertisement. Install a Firewall to prevent the pop-ups (a
must). Additional note on this issue, from Bruce Chambers - MVP

http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=%23PiX28UGFHA.19...

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement Appears
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/comm...

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Shaun Bell" <fairmontxabc@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> How do i remove instant messenger , the one that keeps popping up while i
> surf the net with adds and messages about spyware removal tools.....
>
> Thanks Shaun B

November 18, 2011 8:19:31 AM

Quote:
File extension are the common problems. When we open the some file whose are not matching the application which we need to open it. It throws an error message. Use any of the file cure software to remove this type of errors.

You're answering a post that is nearly 7 years old.

Do you really think Shaun B still has that same problem? or that he will be back now to see if it's been answered?
November 18, 2011 8:23:55 AM

This topic has been closed by Pyree
!