I'm currently in the market for a laptop to allow me to be more mobile. I do 3D Graphic Design using 3D Max 2012/2013 and Adobe CS5. I also play a lot of games so the option for this machine to run games like Crysis 2/3 Guild Wars 2 etc. would be a very positive mark in helping me make a decision. My budget is anything under 3k. I know the battle between Qudadro cards and the Gaming cards is always a give and take but from what I see, I'll get more out of the Nvidia 670MGTX than I would with the Quadro 3000M.
I am in need of assistance as you can see, I'm open to any brand etc. I greatly appreciate any and all help you guys can give me.
1. What is your budget?
-3k or under
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
-17" if possible
3. What screen resolution do you want?
-Highest I can go
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
-A portable Desktop replacement in this sense. Taking my work/gaming mobile
5. How much battery life do you need?
-Most that I can get.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
-Yes, Highest settings possible for Crysis 2/3, Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, and BF3.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
-Photo editing, some video editing with after effects and premiere (cs5/6), 3D Graphic Design with 3D Studio Max 2012/13 and rendering.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
-500GB would be nice
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
-Dell.com, ibuypower.com, newegg.com and I'm open to others as this will be my first laptop.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
-As long as I possibly can. I upgrade my desktop every 4yrs.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
-DVD-R/RW will be fine.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
-I'm not really sure about brands for laptops as I've always custom built my desktops but I would like to stick with something that's Intel/Nvidia. Only experience I have had from brands are in the components in my desktop like Asus, Gigabyte, Nvidia, Evga.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Thank you all! I've been pricing and customizing for the past week or so (not buying until the first week of next month) as I want to just get a good handle on what I'm needing. So far I'm locked into the Nvidia GTX 680M and want to go Intel instead of AMD. With all of the companies out there that build custom laptops, which ones have the best support? I have a contact at Dell who's willing to work with me (friend of a friend) to get exactly what I want but as with all companies, I hear mixed reviews and just want to cover my bases especially if i get to a point where I need it fixed.