ricardo222

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
I foolishly purchased a new video card before opening my daughter's computer (dell dimension 2100) and discovering what looks like no slot for the card! I'm no hardware geek, and though I'm not afraid to tackle an upgrade, I'm just not sure how or if I can possibly upgrade this dog. Unit is currently using Intel 810 adaptor, and if the teenager can't load the new Sims game, she may be pressuring me to upgrade the whole damn computer. Please help. Can I upgrade the adaptor? How? Is it worth it?

GenStryker

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
I did a little search on that system you mentioned and, unfortuneatly, the video card is integrated into motherboard, 'onboard video' for short, so it can't be upgraded.

There are no AGP slots on that motherboard, only standard PCIs.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Boy, you screwed the pooch on that one!

Integrated graphics often CAN be upgraded with an AGP card, but the i810 simply didn't support an AGP slot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You CAN upgrade the video, but you'd have to do it with a PCI card, and PCI has 1/4 the data stream of AGP2x, so it's definately not ideal.

Probably the best PCI video card is the Radeon 9100 PCI, followed by the Radeon 9200 PCI.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Radeon 9200 PCI Is very capable of running the sims, my brother has a dell like you and it gets him by, its even running cs source.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT