System Restore issues

I'm attempting to restore my computer to a previous restore point, but I am
not having much success at doing so. I've tried reverting back using the
System Restore program in normal mode and in safe mode, and every time I have
tried it - in either mode - after the restart process has completed, I get a
message from System Restore telling me that it was not able to complete the
restore I have chosen.

As far as I know, there is no reason to believe that the System Restore
files are corrupt or that they would not be there, considering I have not
turned System Restore off at any point.

If it means anything or helps anyone, the reason I am attempting to restore
my computer to a previous point is due to the fact that, somehow (and I don't
know how this happened), my computer was infected with malware on Sunday
afternoon/evening, and I am attempting to revert back to a previous time to
see if this may alleviate the problem and rid whatever program it was that
originally created the problem, being that whatever this program is (and
again, I don't know what program it is) is now creating corrupt dll's, exe's,
and registry entries that I can't get rid of completely. Therefore, I'm
attempting to go back to a point from early Sunday morning to see if this
might do the trick (yes, I know, I probably should have done a full backup of
my system, shouldn't I have?)

Any philosophies from anyone about what may be happening here and whether or
not there is a possible solution to this problem?

Any help will do. Thanks!

Tyler

Best thing to do is turn off system restore, start in safe mode and run all
your ANTI programs again.
System restore points can become corrupt for various reasons, it can happen
easier than you think.
It's trial and error to try to find a restore point that isn't corrupted by
whatever you are trying to rid from your computer.
As for the dll's, from the start menu go to Run> type in
sfc /scannow, then hit okay. You will be asked for your cd, put it in, and
follow the prompts. This will replace damaged or missing dll files.
The thing is, if performing a system restore worked to get rid of malware,
etc, there would be no use for all the programs that are designed for that.
If your anti virus, or whatever caught the infection, there usually is some
sort of info that goes with it for removal instructions. Most are the
same..i.e. turn off Sr, run your scans, boot up see if the problem is
solved, then turn SR back on.
Sorry, I didn't see any mention of a blank screen, or blank calendar in your
post. If that is the case, post back.

"King Donut the First" <King Donut the First@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:D69D05FC-BCC0-47A8-8745-F5B676B8860A@microsoft.com...
> I'm attempting to restore my computer to a previous restore point, but I
> am
> not having much success at doing so. I've tried reverting back using the
> System Restore program in normal mode and in safe mode, and every time I
> have
> tried it - in either mode - after the restart process has completed, I get
> message from System Restore telling me that it was not able to complete
> the
> restore I have chosen.
>
> As far as I know, there is no reason to believe that the System Restore
> files are corrupt or that they would not be there, considering I have not
> turned System Restore off at any point.
>
> If it means anything or helps anyone, the reason I am attempting to
> restore
> my computer to a previous point is due to the fact that, somehow (and I
> don't
> know how this happened), my computer was infected with malware on Sunday
> afternoon/evening, and I am attempting to revert back to a previous time
> see if this may alleviate the problem and rid whatever program it was that
> originally created the problem, being that whatever this program is (and
> again, I don't know what program it is) is now creating corrupt dll's,
> exe's,
> and registry entries that I can't get rid of completely. Therefore, I'm
> attempting to go back to a point from early Sunday morning to see if this
> might do the trick (yes, I know, I probably should have done a full backup
> of
> my system, shouldn't I have?)
>
> Any philosophies from anyone about what may be happening here and whether
> or
> not there is a possible solution to this problem?
>
> Any help will do. Thanks!
>
> Tyler

--- I fixed the same problem ---

System restore

As far as System Restore goes, here are some troubleshooting tips for
troubleshooting
System Restore in Windows XP.

This will help diagnose the problem. See links on left of page also:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/srfail.html

Use the FixBlank Calendar script on the left. My calendar wasn't blank
like yours but this script fixed some registry associations the were
somehow messed up and now SR works fine. I tried all sorts of things
before this but this did fix it for me.