Harvey Coward - comments on my WMP54G problems

Hi,

I have just spent a day trying to get the Linksys Wireless G PCI adapter
to work, and having discovered the cause of the problem would like to
leave a pointer in Google for anyone who has similar problems.

The problem is that the card doesn't fit into a PCI slot properly. The
PCB is mounted too "high" on the bracket. When I put the card in it was
recognised by my windows 2000 system but didn't pick up the network
signal (well, it did intermittently) . When I screwed the card in place,
what little contact it had with the slot was lost and windows couldn't
even see the card.

So, it goes back to the shop today!

It seems strange that in this day and age a major manufacturer can't
produce a PCI card of the correct dimensions. Is it that my system that
is to blame? I haven't had any problems with other PCI cards although I
guess there may be a certain tolerance in these things and the card
could conceivably work in some other systems.

It is a simple problem, but such a fundamental thing that I didn't
think about it, so I spent all day playing with IRQ settings, swapping
PCI slots, looking for drivers, moving the AP, changing software
settings etc. etc.

In short, if you have problems with one of these things, have a good
look at how well it fits into the PCI slot, and if you haven't bought
one yet, don't do so unless you are prepared to take it back to the
shop.

--
Cheers
Harvey Coward

rico

In article <YqdIrFB0AldAFwDQ@stop.mail-abuse.org>, HC <harvey@stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have just spent a day trying to get the Linksys Wireless G PCI adapter
>to work, and having discovered the cause of the problem would like to
>leave a pointer in Google for anyone who has similar problems.
>
>The problem is that the card doesn't fit into a PCI slot properly. The
>PCB is mounted too "high" on the bracket. When I put the card in it was
>recognised by my windows 2000 system but didn't pick up the network
>signal (well, it did intermittently) . When I screwed the card in place,
>what little contact it had with the slot was lost and windows couldn't
>even see the card.
>
>So, it goes back to the shop today!
>
>It seems strange that in this day and age a major manufacturer can't
>produce a PCI card of the correct dimensions. Is it that my system that
>is to blame? I haven't had any problems with other PCI cards although I
>guess there may be a certain tolerance in these things and the card
>could conceivably work in some other systems.
>
>It is a simple problem, but such a fundamental thing that I didn't
>think about it, so I spent all day playing with IRQ settings, swapping
>PCI slots, looking for drivers, moving the AP, changing software
>settings etc. etc.
>
>In short, if you have problems with one of these things, have a good
>look at how well it fits into the PCI slot, and if you haven't bought
>one yet, don't do so unless you are prepared to take it back to the
>shop.

I'm guessing you tried more then one slot...