Machine Blew Up

Well it happens. Ka-Blewy. I ran out and bought a new HP with XP Home on it.
However, I want to pull it's H.D., install a new H.D., and do a reinstall of
XP Pro from the same CD I used to install in the recently departed machine. I
am assuming that M.S. will have issues regarding the activation from a CD I
have already installed from. Am I going to have difficulty getting XP Pro
re-activated in my new machine or am I just outta luck? Please advize.
--
Karlo

How to activate Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Karlo" wrote:

| Well it happens. Ka-Blewy. I ran out and bought a new HP with XP Home on it.
| However, I want to pull it's H.D., install a new H.D., and do a reinstall of
| XP Pro from the same CD I used to install in the recently departed machine. I
| am assuming that M.S. will have issues regarding the activation from a CD I
| have already installed from. Am I going to have difficulty getting XP Pro
| re-activated in my new machine or am I just outta luck? Please advize.
| --
| Karlo

Thanks Carey for the reply, however...

Your Activation page does not cover this issue.

I am wanting to reinstall my XP Pro on a new machine after the old one died.
Both the M.B. and H.D. must have taken a lightening hit. I bought a new
machine and want to pull the XP Home H.D. out and install a large partitioned
H.D. in it's place and reinstall my original XP Pro on the new H.D. --
Karlo

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> How to activate Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Karlo" wrote:
>
> | Well it happens. Ka-Blewy. I ran out and bought a new HP with XP Home on it.
> | However, I want to pull it's H.D., install a new H.D., and do a reinstall of
> | XP Pro from the same CD I used to install in the recently departed machine. I
> | am assuming that M.S. will have issues regarding the activation from a CD I
> | have already installed from. Am I going to have difficulty getting XP Pro
> | re-activated in my new machine or am I just outta luck? Please advize.
> | --
> | Karlo

1. Put the new hard drive into the new system.
2. Turn the system on and access the BIOS.
3. Set your CD drive as first boot device.
4. Put your XP Pro CD in the CD drive.
5. Reboot your machine -- it will boot from the XP CD.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to partition and format your drive, and
to install XP Pro.

--
steve

nhit_whit_thenut_@yahoo.com