How to play PS2 on my monitor through s-video in?

lotrtrotk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2004
I would like to use the s-video in/out port to be able to play my PS2 through my PC monitor. I have an Asus Radeon 9600 XT (not an AIW). I have never tried anything like this before, and I don't want to damage anything. So please help me do this properly.

I should note that, I originally bought a Celestica Radeon 9600xt but it died on me. I took it in for warrenty and they didnt have any of my card in, so they gave me a free upgrade (woohoo!) However, because I didn't actually buy the ASUS card... I do not have any of the software disks, or accessories that may be needed. If I need some of that stuff, I can hopefully go & buy it. If there's another way, then even better.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
There is no svideo/video IN on that 9600XT, aragorn. No way to get video into that card from anything.
If you monitor can be connected directly to the PS2, then thats the only way to work it out, i think.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 11/25/04 10:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I thought the Asus card had VIVO!?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
dunno, i assumed no AIW no VIVO
He never mentioned TVD etc too. Can be a TD version.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 11/26/04 00:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
ok, now that you mentioned its a TVD, thats VIVO in real terms. Yes you can connect video in without dmamaging. Your manual will say how. Most likely your card will have a bunch of split wires that connect as one to the "svideo like" slot on your card.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You just hook up the S-Video cable from the video out on the PS2 to the video in on the card and VIOLA, you're receiving the signal!

Now, how do you VIEW that video? You'll have to download ATI's software maybe, but otherwise ATI's MMC might work.

Now, about the SOUND! Your PS2 probably has 2 RCA connectors for that, Left and Right. You'll need a cable or adapter that converts those two connectors to a Stereo Minijack, then you connect that to the Line-In jack of your soundcard.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Id play ps2 more if I could hook it up to my computer.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Heh, I could hook a console to my computer, but that seems pointless when the graphics of PC games is far superior.

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Agreed, I do enjoy the occasional game of grand turismo though, trust me, ive debated heavily on the subject of pc kicking console ass, im with you ;)

How do you hook the ps2 up to the comp i never tried.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rx7000 on 11/26/04 05:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
I had fun getting it on my comp before, I had to use a webcam I had for video in since I don't have VIVO and an adapter for sound made from about 3 other cords although it didn't quite work since the webcam is crap and couldn't even keep up 30fps at 320*240 and its quality was just horrible.

lotrtrotk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2004
As I mentioned in the topic, It was a free upgrade, so I don't have any of the programs/accessories that go with this card. That means no split wires & no manual (although I DO have an s-video to [whatever the ps2 connects into] adapter from my OLD video card. In fact I have 2 of them. Will this work?).

Upon further inspection, I dont really know if I have a TD, or a TVD card. They look identical from what I can tell. The work-order just says asus radeon 9600xt, and I have no box or manuals. Is there some identifying mark on the card itsself that will tell me which I actually have (I will check it out when I get home)? If I do only have the TD version, are there any sort of adapters or pci cards I can buy that will do the job instead?

In response to what someone said about the graphics. That is the whole reason why I want to hook my ps2 to my monitor. I'm used to PC games which I play far more, and which look far better. But I have San Andreas that I play a lot and can't stand to play it on my low rez TV. I'm hoping that it might look a bit better on my monitor. (also, being able to record some in-game clips would be nice too)

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
well, you can look into the device manager and see if there are drivers installed w.r.t. ATI WDM rage theatre video and/or ATI WDM rage specialized MVD codec. These are the two on my computer that show my card is VIVO. WDM drivers wont install unless you have VIVO.

Also, the non VIVO card will have an S-Video out on the back. Goto google, look for S-Video out and match the pic. A VIVO card will have something "LIKE" an S-Video out, but will have more holes. You can easily make the diff out.

Also you can match product number on the card with that given on Asus.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

lotrtrotk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2004
Ok, I got home and cracked open my computer.... took a look at the card. I find that it says "A9600xt/tvd" So I guess that means I have the video-in capabilities. Now, I've hooked up my PS2 to the S-video in... but I need some sort of software to play the input. I downloaded the Asus Digital VCR from the asus website, but it seems this is just for recording. What can I install that will allow me to play-back the video in real time?

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Honestly, I dunno. I havent used my card for VIVO functions yet. But it did come with some kinda software on the CDs. See ATis website if they have anything. Some people use ATI MMC - but thats basicaly for AIW cards.