Need Afordable Good Video Card

havax

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
Hey all.

I am loooking for a good graphics card. I am a hardcore gamer. I play Call of Duty competively, and have a 9600XT. It has semmed to always work smoothely runnning FPS never lower than 45 and usually around 60 with low to normal settings on. I just want to be able to run a soild FPS at 125 with medium to high settings on. I would like this card to be ready to take on games easily and powerfully to come out in at least a year from now. I wouldn't like to spend over $200, but the lower the better. I would just like a card that will do this for me. I will NOT overclock anything. Also, in the meantime, do you have any good tips on boosting my FPS performance with the card I have now? I also have a 2.6 P4, and 1GBDDR.

Thanks.

bosshoss

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
You could probably pick up a 9800pro for $200 or under which would be an ok upgrade, I dont know if it would really be worth it though in your case. I have the same card and I tried using riva-tuner to pick up a few extra FPS and it worked pretty well. Just start OC'ing in little increments and when you see "artifacts" on the screen, start backing off. I got to about 530mhz on the core before it started showing errors.

<i> If the creator of the human body is "The Ultimate Engineer", why did he put a recreation site right next to a waste treatment area? </i>

sturm

Splendid
With that budget, $200, your not really going to get any better than what you have. To really notice a difference in gameing you will need to go to the newer cards or at least a 9800 pro or nvidia equivalent. Just make sure that the card uses the 256 bit memory instead of the 128 bit

pauldh

Illustrious
YUp, I don't think $200 will do it for you. Either being happy with what you have, or Overclocking the video card and CPU are the best solutions for now.

MSI K8N Neo2 platinum, A64 3000+, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro