Lexmark Printer Use When Not Logged In

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I would like to use my Lexmark printer when I am not logged in but the
software seems to require that you are logged in as someone on the computer.
Where other printers just use a simple driver that runs through the
computers processes regardless, the Lexmark printers use a more user input
friendly system that speaks and everything. I emailed Lexmark and they just
gave some generic uninformed answer back. Is there something that I could
do that would allow me to use this printer from another computer on the
network without being logged into that computer?

Locke
5 answers Last reply
More about lexmark printer logged
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Quickest solution is to purchase a print server for your network.
    --
    Cari
    (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

    "Locke" <this@that.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to use my Lexmark printer when I am not logged in but the
    >software seems to require that you are logged in as someone on the
    >computer. Where other printers just use a simple driver that runs through
    >the computers processes regardless, the Lexmark printers use a more user
    >input friendly system that speaks and everything. I emailed Lexmark and
    >they just gave some generic uninformed answer back. Is there something
    >that I could do that would allow me to use this printer from another
    >computer on the network without being logged into that computer?
    >
    > Locke

    Hi Locke,

    Thanks for posting here. Also thank our MVP Cari for his nice advice.

    From your post, my understanding of this issue is: You cannot use a Lexmark
    printer if the computer connecting the printer has not any user logon. If
    this is not correct, please feel free to let me know.

    First of all, when you use the following Lexmark printers, you may not be
    able to print to a network printer:

    + 1000 Series

    + 5000, 5700, 7000, and 7200 Series

    + Z11, Z12, Z22, Z31, Z32, Z42, Z51, Z52 and 3200 Color Jetprinters

    This issue can occur because the Lexmark software is designed to be
    installed locally so that it can communicate with the printer directly and
    provide printer-specific information such as ink levels to the customer.

    So, may I know the model of your Lexmark printer? Furthermore, there are
    several points for your reference:

    1. I think a special Print Serve may be a good choice, but please note you
    may not be able to use any kind of Print Server with some printers if they
    are Windows-only printer.

    2. Have you tried to connect this printer to another computer? Or, this
    issue occurs on all computers or not? Please refer to the following
    Microsoft Web site:

    To share your printer
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
    us/print_sharingw.mspx

    Have a nice day!

    Sincerely,

    Tom Che

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    >From: "Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com>
    >Subject: Re: Lexmark Printer Use When Not Logged In
    >Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 22:50:07 -0700
    >Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_supp
    ort

    >Quickest solution is to purchase a print server for your network.
    >--
    >Cari
    >(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
    >
    >"Locke" <this@that.com> wrote in message
    >>I would like to use my Lexmark printer when I am not logged in but the
    >>software seems to require that you are logged in as someone on the
    >>computer. Where other printers just use a simple driver that runs through
    >>the computers processes regardless, the Lexmark printers use a more user
    >>input friendly system that speaks and everything. I emailed Lexmark and
    >>they just gave some generic uninformed answer back. Is there something
    >>that I could do that would allow me to use this printer from another
    >>computer on the network without being logged into that computer?
    >>
    >> Locke

    The printer is an X85. I have tried it on another computer and it does the
    same thing. I can however use an HP Deskjet 830c and it can be shared just
    fine. The Lexmark can be shared but only works is someone is logged onto
    the remote computer when someone tries to print.

    Locke

    "Tom Che [MSFT]" <v-tomche@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Locke,
    >
    > Thanks for posting here. Also thank our MVP Cari for his nice advice.
    >
    > From your post, my understanding of this issue is: You cannot use a
    > Lexmark
    > printer if the computer connecting the printer has not any user logon. If
    > this is not correct, please feel free to let me know.
    >
    > First of all, when you use the following Lexmark printers, you may not be
    > able to print to a network printer:
    >
    > + 1000 Series
    >
    > + 5000, 5700, 7000, and 7200 Series
    >
    > + Z11, Z12, Z22, Z31, Z32, Z42, Z51, Z52 and 3200 Color Jetprinters
    >
    > This issue can occur because the Lexmark software is designed to be
    > installed locally so that it can communicate with the printer directly and
    > provide printer-specific information such as ink levels to the customer.
    >
    > So, may I know the model of your Lexmark printer? Furthermore, there are
    > several points for your reference:
    >
    > 1. I think a special Print Serve may be a good choice, but please note you
    > may not be able to use any kind of Print Server with some printers if they
    > are Windows-only printer.
    >
    > 2. Have you tried to connect this printer to another computer? Or, this
    > issue occurs on all computers or not? Please refer to the following
    > Microsoft Web site:
    >
    > To share your printer
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
    > us/print_sharingw.mspx
    >
    > Have a nice day!
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Tom Che
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    > rights.
    >
    > --------------------
    >>From: "Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com>
    >>Subject: Re: Lexmark Printer Use When Not Logged In
    >>Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 22:50:07 -0700
    >>Newsgroups:
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_supp
    > ort
    >>
    >>Quickest solution is to purchase a print server for your network.
    >>--
    >>Cari
    >>(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
    >>
    >>"Locke" <this@that.com> wrote in message
    >>>I would like to use my Lexmark printer when I am not logged in but the
    >>>software seems to require that you are logged in as someone on the
    >>>computer. Where other printers just use a simple driver that runs through
    >>>the computers processes regardless, the Lexmark printers use a more user
    >>>input friendly system that speaks and everything. I emailed Lexmark and
    >>>they just gave some generic uninformed answer back. Is there something
    >>>that I could do that would allow me to use this printer from another
    >>>computer on the network without being logged into that computer?
    >>>
    >>> Locke

    Hi Locke,

    Thank you for posting.

    I notice that you have posted the same question in our
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware newsgroup, to which I have already
    responded. Please check my answer there, and if you need any further
    assistance on this particular issue please reply to me in that thread so I
    can follow up with you.

    In the future, please don't cross-post the same question in multiple
    newsgroups. This will help our engineers work on your question more
    efficiently. Your understanding and cooperation is appreciated.

    Thank you and have a nice day!

    Sincerely,

    Tom Che

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    >From: "Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com>
    >Subject: Re: Lexmark Printer Use When Not Logged In
    >Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 22:50:07 -0700
    >Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_supp
    ort

    >Quickest solution is to purchase a print server for your network.
    >--
    >Cari
    >(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
    >
    >"Locke" <this@that.com> wrote in message
    >>I would like to use my Lexmark printer when I am not logged in but the
    >>software seems to require that you are logged in as someone on the
    >>computer. Where other printers just use a simple driver that runs through
    >>the computers processes regardless, the Lexmark printers use a more user
    >>input friendly system that speaks and everything. I emailed Lexmark and
    >>they just gave some generic uninformed answer back. Is there something
    >>that I could do that would allow me to use this printer from another
    >>computer on the network without being logged into that computer?
    >>
    >> Locke

    Hi Locke,

    Thanks for your reply.

    Based on my research, unfortunately, you may not use the Lexmark X85
    printer without user logging on. Because the Lexmark X85 is an All-In-One
    product, so you have to install Lexmark's special software to use the
    printer normally and Windows XP doesn't include its driver internally. You
    have to logon the computer to share the printer, this is decided by
    Lexmark's design.

    However, HP Deskjet 830c is a single-function product, and Windows XP
    includes its driver by default. Therefore, you can easily share the HP
    Deskjet 830c with a simple driver even no user logging on.

    Have a nice weekend!

Lexmark Microsoft Printers Windows XP