Sign in with
Your question

Is it worth getting Windows 8?

Last response: in Windows 8
August 25, 2012 11:19:07 AM

Many people are saying that its not better than Windows 7 x64. Is Windows 8 x64 better than Windows 7 x64 Ultimate?

More about : worth windows

a b $ Windows 7
August 25, 2012 11:49:21 AM

To say that Windows 8 is "not better" than Windows 7 would actually be quite a compliment. Windows 8 does boot faster and the general subsystem has been improved. However, Microsoft made the massive mistake of replacing the Start Menu with a second screen (formerly known as Metro) which is primarily designed for tablets and other touchscreen devices, not mouse and keyboard desktop computers. This resulted in an abomination of switching screens and hidden menus to try and get some kind of user usabiility out of the computer. It short, get Windows 7 while you still can, skip Windows 8 and hope their following OS learns the massive mistakes of this one.
m
l
August 25, 2012 12:12:08 PM

Primas said:
Many people are saying that its not better than Windows 7 x64. Is Windows 8 x64 better than Windows 7 x64 Ultimate?

I guess it all depends on what you want or what features you need or use. For me, everything I need is in Windows 7 and I do not plan to upgrade to 8 for as long as I can help it. I never did find any value in purchasing Professional let alone Ultimate. I have not seen a direct comparison yet between the two but it would be interesting.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 25, 2012 3:37:57 PM

Primas said:

These many people do not exist in the same circles I frequent, which are many and varied. Everyone I know hates W8 with a passion. I have recently read a review of the gaming performance compared to W7 and the difference is Zero. From that view point its not worth even considering.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Microsoft/Windows_8_...

Mactronix :) 
m
l
August 25, 2012 3:47:05 PM

didn't i read somewhere about win8 having a "kill Program " built into the O.s for apps brought from its store which with asking the user it changes or just removes something by it self at Microsofts request
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
August 25, 2012 6:18:28 PM

Hi :) 

No...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2012 3:26:15 PM

Looks like you did read it after all then :D 

m
l
August 26, 2012 3:38:29 PM

It really depends on your personal opinion. If you give it a fair chance, you might actually like it. I had to start pinning things to my taskbar aggressively but once I had everything there I hardly entered Metro. Win8 in generally seems snappier and uses significantly less power on my laptop than Win7 did. For me, the tradeoff makes sense on the mobile side since you have nothing without good battery life. I also use it on my desktop (my sig has the specs) and it runs quite well there too. Same general snappiness and same comment about pinning things to taskbar for ease. I haven't had any significant issues with drivers on Windows 8 besides an Intel Bluetooth driver which won't install (MS ships a generic one already in Win8 which works).

I generally like upgrading to be on the cutting edge (despite the problems it can bring). What really surprised me was what my parents thought when I showed them Metro. They actually liked it and preferred it to Win7. They liked the live updating tiles and having simpler apps for email, calendar, etc. So maybe there is something to this Metro thing.

PS: Keyboard shortcuts are definitely useful in Metro.
m
l
August 27, 2012 6:38:18 AM

Win8 = Win7 + Windows Phone - Stability.
and MS calls it innovation...
m
l
August 27, 2012 9:38:33 AM

Primas said:

I would say stick with what you find comfortable. Windows 8 may be the next best thing but from reading reviews of it not every<ones happy. Microsoft did a good job with 7, and tried to integrate new features in windows 8 that don't really work with a mouse and keyboard. Save some money and get windows 7.
m
l
August 28, 2012 5:18:20 PM

From what I've heard Win8 is going to be cheaper, it boots faster, requires less memory, so what it comes down to for me is can you deal with the interface change? Also it is still in its early stages, it might fail or get better. I like Windows 8, I find Ableton(music software runs ok with it) I have heard Steam has no problems, it really isn't better or worse, its just different, give it a try first?
m
l
August 28, 2012 5:38:35 PM

No there is no reason to get windows 8. Windows 7 will last for the next 10 years at least.
m
l
August 28, 2012 7:07:00 PM

Ok. I won't get Windows 8.

Why ruin an already perfect form?
m
l
August 28, 2012 7:22:46 PM

For me, Windows 8 does not offer anything that is worth upgrading from windows 7. I'll continue to use windows 7 until future games require a new Direct X that win7 wont support (which is why i went from XP-->win7, lack of DX10/11 support)
m
l
August 29, 2012 10:53:18 AM

Well..Windows 7 is better than Windows 8 only for the users with Desktops and Laptops (devices with mouse). As Microsoft has replaced start button in the interface with a second screen called metro screen which has specially built for touchscreen gadgets. So for desktop and laptop users it is not much a good choice.
m
l
August 29, 2012 1:15:59 PM

Yeah only problem with win 8 is that metro interface. Otherwise it's an okayish upgrade. They've changed a lot of stuff "under the hood" as well, though it's not Win NT 7.0.

I won't be upgrading however, too expensive to keep doing this every 2 years when win 7 works fine.

As far as gaming perf, i think there's a <5% diff b/w them.
m
l
August 30, 2012 1:49:44 PM

I don't know about you guys. Everyone has an opinion. But for me, I have been using Windows 8 Enterprise (x64) since about 2 weeks and I can conclusively say that it is absolutely the BEST OS that I have ever used from Microsoft products (I have been using Windows since: Windows 2.0).

It is booting SUPER FAST, Shutting Down SUPER FAST, and processing SUPER FAST.

Finally with Windows 8 we're getting rid of the ugly Start menu and enjoy the wonderful UX that Windows 8 has.
m
l
August 30, 2012 1:51:16 PM

I've been using Windows 8 for a little while now, and really I haven't had many issues other than learning the hot keys/charms and a few program incompatibilities / workarounds.
For example, I had to install a workaround with Windows Live to get Dark Souls to run via Steam, but it runs just fine now with no performance degradation (or noticeable increase).

The hardest part for me was getting used to using the keyboard a lot more, as a non-touch interface requires the use of hot keys a lot more rather than the mouse.
Once you get used to them though, they're actually pretty convenient.
As far as the metro ui, it isn't necessarily intuitive, but the more you use it the more you get used to it. It actually is easier for several things after a while.

The biggest thing I've seen is that fuss over the start button being gone.
It was hard to adjust to at first, but if you press Windows key + Q, there are all the same features, and the desktop remains less cluttered.
From what I've seen, it's just getting used to the new OS (much like the changes from XP to Vista, albeit those were more subtle, and well... Vista).

I think Windows 8 is a good choice if you plan on buying a Windows 8 Tablet or Phone due to the Windows Live account integration, but time will tell how useful that'll end up being.

BLUF: Stick with what you're comfortable with--they both work well.

Personally, I think Windows 7 is better for a desktop environment without touch screens, but Windows 8 does feel more responsive and doesn't have any real issues in the desktop (except the learning curve and using the keyboard a bit more--both generally negligible).
m
l
August 30, 2012 7:19:01 PM

sameronline said:
I don't know about you guys. Everyone has an opinion. But for me, I have been using Windows 8 Enterprise (x64) since about 2 weeks and I can conclusively say that it is absolutely the BEST OS that I have ever used from Microsoft products (I have been using Windows since: Windows 2.0).

It is booting SUPER FAST, Shutting Down SUPER FAST, and processing SUPER FAST.

Finally with Windows 8 we're getting rid of the ugly Start menu and enjoy the wonderful UX that Windows 8 has.
I'd rather have an ugly slow start menu than a fast boring tetris ui any day ;) . I've tried windows 8 and didn't notice any difference in boot/shutdown performance between WinHate(8) and vista SP2. The only performance difference I noticed between WinHate(8) and vista SP2 is that I was able to get more done on vista than on WinHate(8). It's too much of a hassle switching between Metro and Desktop mode.
m
l
August 30, 2012 7:34:21 PM

No compelling reason to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8. I personally plan to skip over Windows 8 on my home PC that is running Windows 7 64 bit. Most of the upsides of Windows 8 like faster boot/shutdown are already taken care of by installing a SSD drive along with using Windows 7.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 2, 2012 10:45:00 AM

From what aramisathei has said it seems that productivity will drop in W8.
Having to use short cut keys and the keyboard more in general is defiantly slower than navigating with a mouse.

m
l
September 3, 2012 5:13:36 AM

I tried Windows 8, and as a PC technician with a Bachelor's Degree and a few years experience, I personally hope Windows 8 bounces higher than a rubber ball.

I think the idea of Metro, is a good idea, but I think Microsoft needed to give users a choice of their experience, IE Windows 8 with Metro(I think they call it Modern UI right?), or a classic Windows 7 style experience.

However Microsoft seems to think they can control the PC market and tell users what they are to use, whereas the user should have the choice in my opinion. For this reason, I hope Windows 8 is such a flop that Microsoft gets that idea through their minds. That said, I personally will likely buy a copy of Windows 8 because I know that I have to learn it and will have to support it, does not mean that I may not be using classic shell or Start8 to bring back my Start menu though.
m
l
September 21, 2012 10:04:47 AM

No, there is no need to focus on window 8 ..just use window 7 or window XP because these windows are better for general purpose.
m
l
September 21, 2012 4:17:17 PM

mactronix said:
From what aramisathei has said it seems that productivity will drop in W8.
Having to use short cut keys and the keyboard more in general is defiantly slower than navigating with a mouse.

LIES! You obviously don't use short cut keys or the keyboard much becuase from a power users standpoint, they enable a user to work much more effectively and quickly.

Good examples of the biggest uses happen to be games like Starcraft. The pro players would never be as good as they are with just a mouse, selecting items and etc is way way to slow and unproductive using a mouse versus using a keyboard.

This also applies to opening programs and OS functions. It's much faster to press the Win key and type the name of the application and press enter then clicking, waiting for the menu to load, clicking to the folder, and then clicking the icon to open it.

Edit: As for general productivity, it really shouldn't have much of an effect at all because people who need to be productive will primarily be using desktop apps, which don't use the metro interface and will allow multiple windows on single/multiple screens for normal usage. But this is subjective to what the user needs to do, and the true effects can't be really determined until the general population has the OS + using it regularly.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
September 21, 2012 4:51:27 PM

Windows 8 is technically an improvement over "Windows 7," people are are bashing it and saying it's another Vista because of "Metro."

Buying Windows 8 and installing "Start8" will give you the "Windows 7" start menu and all the new features and improvements of "Windows 8" which would be a great combination. You will still be able to access metro via the Windows key on the keyboard. It will be like getting an improve "Windows 7" for cheaper.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

You can see a list of new features in "Windows 8" here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_8

Avoid listening to someone who calls it another Vista because of the Metro Interface as they won't give you an honest factual opinion.

I'm not personally a fan of Metro primarily because of the route and design they took with the Windows 8 Start menu; it has it's place on tablets. As I said though, you can use Start8 and have the start menu back. If you don't care about some extra performance and want something simple, Windows 7 is fine.

You can also get Windows 8 for 40 dollars: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/ar...
m
l
September 22, 2012 8:29:43 PM

I would upgrade to 8 if MS didn't want everyone to use touchscreen and tablets with it.
m
l
September 29, 2012 11:02:34 AM

Windows 8 is great and looking good. It is designed keeping pc and mobile devices in mind. If you think that mobile devices will be the future computing devices, then Windows 8 rocks, else I would suggest windows 7 , or the similar OS released from Microsoft.Ref: http://www.techmartial.com
m
l
October 1, 2012 9:24:23 PM

No it's not worth upgrading to win8 unless your desktop/monitor or notebook is a touch screen and as long as you don't mind the start button being gone....U can download a 3rd party software to get it back...But most of those are around 50bucks....for like a year.....:/ I did however find one that is free but it's not as good as the others....it's called classic shell and you can google it or download it at CNET.com and there's the link....

http://download.cnet.com/Classic-Shell/3000-2072_4-7555...
m
l
October 2, 2012 3:32:19 AM

randomninjaatk said:
LIES! You obviously don't use short cut keys or the keyboard much becuase from a power users standpoint, they enable a user to work much more effectively and quickly.

Good examples of the biggest uses happen to be games like Starcraft. The pro players would never be as good as they are with just a mouse, selecting items and etc is way way to slow and unproductive using a mouse versus using a keyboard.

This also applies to opening programs and OS functions. It's much faster to press the Win key and type the name of the application and press enter then clicking, waiting for the menu to load, clicking to the folder, and then clicking the icon to open it.

Edit: As for general productivity, it really shouldn't have much of an effect at all because people who need to be productive will primarily be using desktop apps, which don't use the metro interface and will allow multiple windows on single/multiple screens for normal usage. But this is subjective to what the user needs to do, and the true effects can't be really determined until the general population has the OS + using it regularly.

Have you dealt with anyone in the general public? I dealt with someone tonight who needed help installing a printer driver. Took all of 10-15 minutes on good old Windows 7. I think Windows 8 is going to be a real shock to some people. I still think they needed to give users a choice. I personally will buy Windows 8, then I can learn it, but probably will buy Start8 or use classic shell.
m
l
October 2, 2012 4:11:06 PM

I personally really like Windows 8.

Sure it has the new Metro stuff, and I suspect the question of whether you should upgrade is largely concerned here with PCs /without/ a touchscreen being used with a keyboard and mouse.
Remember though that with Windows 8, you can still get to the desktop - and just stay there. If you don't want to use Metro, you need never see it (at work the only time I ever see it is very briefly when I hit the start button on my keyboard, type the first few letters of the software I want and when it comes up, hit enter - start screen gone and back to the desktop in like, two seconds!).

So, the real 'why' of Windows 8s is that frankly, /desktop/ Windows 8 is absolutely better than Windows 7. Not, killer-app better, but just .. nicer. It feels faster and more fluid. For me startup and shutdown is noticeably faster - Microsoft have continued the trend started with Windows 7 of streamlining the OS to drive better performance.

There are other things too. Task manager is way better, explorer activities like copying and moving files is now enhanced, and under the hood various changes have been made to improve networking, system reliability and security etc. You may not /see/ these features day to day, and individually they might not be a big deal, but put them together and they add up to an overall /nicer/ experience.

So for me, it's not a question of whether Windows 7 is 'good enough', but more a question of why /wouldn't/ you upgrade to a nicer, more modern OS, given that it's completely possible to ignore Metro if you don't like it?

As for Metro itself - as said, you can ignore it if you don't like it, but give it a chance, some nice software is probably going to appear there, and it sure makes for a far better and more capable tablet IMO, with the bonus that any software you buy in the Windows store, can be installed on your 'regular' PCs too.

I'll be going for Windows 8 - my choice, but I don't think it's one people should discount so quickly. :) 
m
l
October 2, 2012 6:45:43 PM

Windows 8 might be a good OS. My biggest gripe is Metro. They should give people the choice. Last time I tried Metro, I was getting used to it, but Metro was still clunky. I think it's a good idea, but they should have an option when you first set up to ask what you would like. That's why I will probably use Classic Shell to avoid Metro and use a Windows 7 style desktop, but that said, I know I can go back to Metro if I want. That in my opinion is what Microsoft should have done to begin with.
m
l
October 3, 2012 7:52:01 AM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Windows 8 might be a good OS. My biggest gripe is Metro. They should give people the choice. Last time I tried Metro, I was getting used to it, but Metro was still clunky. I think it's a good idea, but they should have an option when you first set up to ask what you would like. That's why I will probably use Classic Shell to avoid Metro and use a Windows 7 style desktop, but that said, I know I can go back to Metro if I want. That in my opinion is what Microsoft should have done to begin with.

Well you can at least rest easy knowing that if you choose to just avoid Metro - you can absolutely do this with no trouble.
Tip: Pin the 'Desktop' tile to the be the very first 'top left' tile on the Windows 8 start screen - this way, whenever you see Metro, all you need to do is hit enter to get back to the desktop. :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 3, 2012 11:16:32 AM

I have to say, at first, I was distinctly unimpressed with Win8. I tried the early betas/previews, and I didn't think it was going to be worth it.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

I'm running the release preview (x64) on my old laptop (core 2 duo T7600 2.3GHz, 4GB RAM but only 3.2 usable due to old mobo, Geforce Go 7950 GTX, and an old 320GB WD Scorpio), and despite the slow 320 gb rotating drive, it honestly feels just about as snappy under normal operation as my desktop running win7 on an SSD with 32GB of RAM. I can make it bog down with a fair bit of effort, but until I tried to install a program while copying files and trying to play an audio file at the same time (all while browsing the web), I couldn't make it slow down. Unless I'm intentionally hitting the hard drive as much as possible, it's uncannily responsive.

Even with the old drive, cold boot times are sub 30 seconds including post and login, shutdown times are near instant, and resume from hibernate is around 10 seconds. I haven't actually tested it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it boots faster than my desktop running win7 with an Intel X25M as the boot drive.

As for Metro? You very quickly learn to largely ignore it as a desktop user, and it is really not intrusive at all. 99% of the time, I am in the desktop view, and using it just like I would have used Win7, aside from the fact that it seems to be faster and more stable, and able to find drivers for just about everything automatically (despite the fact that this computer is from 2006). It also contains a few nice surprises - a built in PDF reader for example, so you don't need to download Adobe Reader.

My one complaint so far? It now takes a gesture and 3 clicks to shut down or restart. I wish this were a little more easily accessible, as it is a noticeably more tedious process than in Win7 or previous versions (where it could be accessed in 2 clicks). Fortunately, I don't need to restart frequently, but it is still a minor irritation.

On the whole though, I have to say, I am thoroughly impressed with Windows 8. Anyone who has a spare old laptop lying around should really give it a try, since MS is allowing everyone to try it for free (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download)
m
l
October 3, 2012 9:42:01 PM

As for shutdown, just use Alt-F4. I will get used to it more than likely. I've used the consumer preview, and got irritated by software bugs they had. As for things, I think Classic Shell allows you to actually sign in, and it bypasses Metro from what I've read, not tested that yet, but I've read it does allow that.

I just hate that the Start screen takes up the ENTIRE screen. I've used 8 a little, I'll probably pick up the $40 dollar upgrade around launch. I have used the start screen a little. I can see how 8 would be great for tablets, just wish Microsoft would have given people the choice instead of saying here's what you are going to do. As far as built in PDF reader, I think you are right. Microsoft sounds like they are going like apple. Didn't I read they may start making some type of ultrabooks also as well as tablets?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 3, 2012 10:54:45 PM

Thanks for the alt-F4 tip - I hadn't figured that out. That's definitely more convenient than the method I had been using. As for drivers, Win8 has proven extremely impressive in that area - I manually installed audio and video drivers, but other than that, it has automatically found good drivers for everything in this computer, despite its age. It even found drivers for the network attached printer without my having to do anything to prompt it - something which has been a bit problematic on Win7 for me in the past.

As for MS branded ultrabooks and tablets? I think it could be a good thing, as long as they never force any sort of exclusivity. More competition in that space is always good IMHO, and there is something to be said for a software vendor knowing precisely what hardware their software will be running on.
m
l
October 4, 2012 12:15:45 AM

Whats funny is that I thought there were rumours of samsung ctually making an app similar to classic shell and maybe trying to use it as a selling point. How long before maybe vendora start uaing different flavors of linux and having their own OS. Future could get interesting in the next few years.
m
l
October 4, 2012 1:44:24 AM

I was really skeptical about Windows 8, but now (using it for 1 month), I'm glad I updated from W7 :)  If you don't like metro, you really don't have to use it. Just put every shortcut you need on desktop. I'm used to metro and now I like it (at first I hated it). Performance has been increased greatly and the boot time.. I don't even know how they managed to make the boot time so short. Windows 8 offers alot of new features (like, using PrintScreen to NOT to copy, but save the screenshot of desktop in My Pictures/Screenshots folder, using metro applications (like Music player) to listen to music in background.. or to use it this way: )

Altought I had some compatibility problems with drivers and stuff (because of beta), I love it and I don't regret that I upgraded from W7 :) 
m
l
October 4, 2012 3:54:31 AM

How do you now get to safe mode on windows 8? I know it used to be F8, but I thought they changed that also? At some point people will still infect their PC's.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 4, 2012 7:21:36 AM

For whatever reason, it's shift-F8 now, not just F8. Also, the window of time is REALLY short, due to the faster boot. If you can get into windows, there's an easier way - just select "safe boot" under the boot options in msconfig, then restart. If you can't get into windows though, and for whatever reason it isn't automatically detecting that it can't start (which would also funnel you into the boot options menu), just mash shift-F8 and hope you can hit the really short window of time...
m
l
!