Refurbished notebook

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Looking to buy a notebook from dell. I want it mainly for school and travel.
I have an hp Pent 4 2.4 right now and I want something comparable or a
little faster. What are you're recomendations.

Should I go with a refurbished unit, any problems with those.?

Thanks

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:52:24 -0500, "Dan" <noone@none.com> wrote:

>Looking to buy a notebook from dell. I want it mainly for school and travel.
>I have an hp Pent 4 2.4 right now and I want something comparable or a
>little faster. What are you're recomendations.
>
>Should I go with a refurbished unit, any problems with those.?
>
>Thanks

I can't say this represents all but so far my 1100 and 600m refurbs
have no problems (including no overheating and we use them
constantly).

Based on my 600m or reading about the 700m, these might be good
choices for you. I chose the 600m recently over the 700m but my
values my differ from yours. Others like the 700m over the 600m so
judge for yourself.

With any notebook, get a minimum 3 year warranty.

I'd avoid the low-end and "value performance" Dells - 1000, 1100/1150,
and 5100/5150/5160 - too many problems.

A new Inspiron 6000 with a Pentium-M 1.5 or 1.6 will outrun the 2.4 you
have now - so don't discount the Pentium-M, which is probably the best
overall mobile CPU out there right now, despite a seeming clock speed
deficit.

Dan wrote:
> Looking to buy a notebook from dell. I want it mainly for school and travel.
> I have an hp Pent 4 2.4 right now and I want something comparable or a
> little faster. What are you're recomendations.
>
> Should I go with a refurbished unit, any problems with those.?
>
> Thanks

If you treat the notebook with care and respect it seems to me that it
should last a long time and that a long warranty would be uncessary. Or
do these small computers have problems with breaking down all the time?

I recently purchased an Inspiron 6000d. It is surprising to hear you
say that the Pentium M 1.5ghz will outrun the Pentium 4 2.4ghz. I guess
I'll have to do my homework and look up the specs myself (unless of
course someone happens to already know of a link I can look at).

Steven

<stevenqrdh@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1110699306.973880.67580@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

> I recently purchased an Inspiron 6000d. It is surprising to hear you
> say that the Pentium M 1.5ghz will outrun the Pentium 4 2.4ghz. I guess
> I'll have to do my homework and look up the specs myself (unless of
> course someone happens to already know of a link I can look at).

This article may interest you...

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2342&p=1

I bougnt my college student the 600m (a refurb) in November...no problems so
far. We did get the bumper to bumper 3 year warranty, just in case.

<jim g.> wrote in message news:lef031lhshulbotei0sdna5ug3tr6thdqu@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:52:24 -0500, "Dan" <noone@none.com> wrote:
>
>>Looking to buy a notebook from dell. I want it mainly for school and
>>travel.
>>I have an hp Pent 4 2.4 right now and I want something comparable or a
>>little faster. What are you're recomendations.
>>
>>Should I go with a refurbished unit, any problems with those.?
>>
>>Thanks
>>

> I can't say this represents all but so far my 1100 and 600m refurbs
> have no problems (including no overheating and we use them
> constantly).
>
> Based on my 600m or reading about the 700m, these might be good
> choices for you. I chose the 600m recently over the 700m but my
> values my differ from yours. Others like the 700m over the 600m so
> judge for yourself.

Steven;
They should last as you describe but what is man made will not always
perform as planned 100% of the time.
With laptops it is often a good idea to get a long warranty.
Not necessarily because they have problems, but because they are largely
proprietary.
What may be a minor hardware problem in a Desktop can mean a motherboard
replacement in alaptob.
It would not be unusual for the cost to fix to exceed the cost to replace.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

<stevenqrdh@gmail.com> wrote in message
> If you treat the notebook with care and respect it seems to me that it
> should last a long time and that a long warranty would be uncessary. Or
> do these small computers have problems with breaking down all the time?
>
> I recently purchased an Inspiron 6000d. It is surprising to hear you
> say that the Pentium M 1.5ghz will outrun the Pentium 4 2.4ghz. I guess
> I'll have to do my homework and look up the specs myself (unless of
> course someone happens to already know of a link I can look at).
>
> Steven

According to surveys (Consumer Reports and other) 30% of notebooks need
major repairs during their lifetime. A new mainboard from Dell for most
of its systems costs $700US; the display panel, $500+, etc. - so you
can see the advantage of having it under warranty for 3-4 years, if
that's the length of time you plan to keep it.

Since almost 90% of the world's notebooks come from about eight major
suppliers in Taiwan or China, it doesn't matter whose name is on it -
they're all about the same reliability-wise.

The same company that makes the Inspiron 11xx, 51xx, 8500, 8600 (and
Latitude equivalent), 9300, etc. for Dell, makes many PowerBooks for
Apple, and supplies HPaq and Toshiba with many of their machines.

stevenqrdh@gmail.com wrote:
> If you treat the notebook with care and respect it seems to me that it
> should last a long time and that a long warranty would be uncessary. Or
> do these small computers have problems with breaking down all the time?
>
> I recently purchased an Inspiron 6000d. It is surprising to hear you
> say that the Pentium M 1.5ghz will outrun the Pentium 4 2.4ghz. I guess
> I'll have to do my homework and look up the specs myself (unless of
> course someone happens to already know of a link I can look at).
>
> Steven

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:52:24 -0500, "Dan" <noone@none.com> wrote:

>Looking to buy a notebook from dell. I want it mainly for school and travel.
>I have an hp Pent 4 2.4 right now and I want something comparable or a
>little faster. What are you're recomendations.
>
>Should I go with a refurbished unit, any problems with those.?
>
>Thanks

From reading some sites, it seems that several say the P4 2.4 is about
equal to the M 1.4 in speed. This is an approximate. Here is 2
references that might help.

http://tinyurl.com/6bvjo
http://cpuscorecard.com/

To answer your question, I think others already have so I won't repeat
what others already said.

As evidenced by customer experience with low-end and "value performance" Dells -
1000, 1100/1150, and 5100/5150/5160 - they're NOT all about the same
reliability-wise. There are considerable variations in product quality between
the low- and the higher-end notebooks. For me, quality contributes to
reliability. You get what you pay for... Ben Myers