30 second pause during WinXP startup.

During the startup of my WinXP home edition after going through the
memory check screen, the system seems to pause for 30 seconds before the
blue Windows startup screen appears. I tried to run the windows in safe
mode but still while pressing the F8 button, nothing happens for about
30 seconds before the safe mode option appears. Any solutions?
I remember when I started using WinXP last year, there was no pause in
windows startup.

By any chance do you have a cd(s) in the drives when it starts
(especially burned ones)?
If an optical drive is having trouble reading a disk on startup, there
will be a pause as the drive tries several times to re-read the disk.

Polecat

Distinguished
May 24, 2005

I also experience this when I have a USB or PCI wireless network drivers
installed and have been using my network connection, and I try to boot with
my network disabled.....