Windows will not shutdown

I have an HP pavillion laptop running Windows XP home edition and I am having
an issue with windows not shutting down all the way. It will get to the
point where the screen turns blue and says that windows is shutting down but
then it just stays there. I've scanned for viruses and have used Ad-aware
and Spybot but to no avail. I have also updated any Windows updates that
are available for SP2. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Paul

WINDOWS XP
SHUTDOWN & RESTART
TROUBLESHOOTING