Editing and Creating GIF's ... How ?

Does WinXP have the capabilities to edit and/or create GIF's or do I have to
use a 3rd party app ( or is one available from Microsoft ) in order to
accomplish this ? For Example: I have a GIF file that when I click on
Properties I can see the parameters of Width, Depth, Horizontal and
Vertical Resolution, Bit Depth, Frame Count, etc but I can't see anyway to
modify them ... I would love to change any or all of these parameters,
especially frame count, to my liking and any information or help on this
subject would be greatly appreciated by me ... Thank You

There is nothing builtin to edit gif's.
Well you edit a single frame gif with mspaint, but I get you want more than
that.

You can search with google for "Microsoft GIF Animator" and you will find
it.
I am sure there are other more powerful (newer tools for doing this)
Ulead Gif Animator, is usually on the cover CD's of PC magazines frequently.

Regards
Mark Dormer

"Mark Dormer" wrote:

> There is nothing builtin to edit gif's.
> Well you edit a single frame gif with mspaint, but I get you want more than
> that.
>
> You can search with google for "Microsoft GIF Animator" and you will find
> it.
> I am sure there are other more powerful (newer tools for doing this)
> Ulead Gif Animator, is usually on the cover CD's of PC magazines frequently.
>
> Regards
> Mark Dormer
>
> "Fierce1" <Fierce1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Does WinXP have the capabilities to edit and/or create GIF's or do I have
> > use a 3rd party app ( or is one available from Microsoft ) in order to
> > accomplish this ? For Example: I have a GIF file that when I click on
> > Properties I can see the parameters of Width, Depth, Horizontal and
> > Vertical Resolution, Bit Depth, Frame Count, etc but I can't see anyway to
> > modify them ... I would love to change any or all of these parameters,
> > especially frame count, to my liking and any information or help on this
> > subject would be greatly appreciated by me ... Thank You
>

> Thank you Mr. Dormer for the information you have provided, it has pointed me in the right direction and has given me given me a start on what I'm really looking for. I now have a little better understanding of what I need by going to the sites you have mentioned and the only problem I'm having now ( which is a good one ) is trying to decide, out of the multitude of programs out there, which one I really want. I checked out PCMagazines review of ULEAD's GIF Animator and also perused Downloads.Com site on several other Animators, KoolMoves 4.7.1 looks very promising and has good reviews ... when I ultimately decide on what I want and then evalulate a program or two, I'll return with my evals. Any input, by any other forum member who is familiar with and/or using any of these programs ( or similar ) is greatly appreciated ... again thank you Mr. Dormer for your input and pointing me in the right direction ... Fierce1

You might see if your news service carries the group "alt.binaries.clip-art"
and ask there about gif and/or animation apps. Don't be put off by the term
"clip-art", we've come a long way since the days of scissors and glue, and
the folks at
a.b.c-a are knowledgable in many areas of art... including gif animation.
~Ron