Monitor & Peanuts

I've just spent the last hour attempting to dig the packing peanuts out
of the nooks and crannies of a G-08 monitor that had been packed in a
box with nothing but the penuts(and some anti static wrap against the
tube).

I know that the peanuts are not conductive, but I was wondering if
there would be a problem with leaving any stray pieces in the monitor
if it is powered on.

The difficult part is getting to the peanuts between the back of the
tube and the shield, and the only option I see is taking the monitor
apart, which would be a major PITA.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I doubt it. The biggest problem with styrofoam is it's one of the worst
common producers of static charge. The discharge of static electricity
into sensitive electronic devices (i.e. IC chips) is a major
contributor in latent failures. I would certainly clear them completely
from the monitor board where sensitive components might be, but no they
won't hurt if they're touching anything else.

As an aside I discourage anyone from packing pcbs etc. in peanuts
without first putting the the pcb in a static bag, or wrapping the pcb
in anti-static bubble wrap. I've gotten transistors and ICs in the mail
with the leads stuck in a piece of styrofoam! Yikes!

- Craig

I could have had that thing apart, cleaned and back together in less
time than it took you to post that.

RETRO-ARCADE wrote:
> I could have had that thing apart, cleaned and back together in less
> time than it took you to post that.

Show-off! :)

I used a ruler to dig out the pieces, but since these peanuts tend to
break up so easily, there are prbably still crumbs in there.

BTW. Retro, will you send me an e-mail at
Staten.islanderNO-SPAM@verizon.net. (Leave out the "NO-SPAM).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Without having an original monitor box, is that the best way to pack
and ship a monitor, with packing peanuts?

Or the expansion foam?

Double box?

I have stayed away from selling monitors because of being afraid of a
broken monitor arriving at the buyer's house.

Who is the best to use when shipping them, UPS, FedEx, etc.?

-Tim

Without having an original monitor box, is that the best way to pack
and ship a monitor, with packing peanuts?

Or the expansion foam?

Double box?

I have stayed away from selling monitors because of being afraid of a
broken monitor arriving at the buyer's house.

Who is the best to use when shipping them, UPS, FedEx, etc.?

-Tim

They're not conductive but if they arn't pink, then they produce a lot of
static and can easily damage components. I'd be complaining to the seller if
they didn't use anti-static (pink) ones.

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> I've just spent the last hour attempting to dig the packing peanuts out
> of the nooks and crannies of a G-08 monitor that had been packed in a
> box with nothing but the penuts(and some anti static wrap against the
> tube).
>
> I know that the peanuts are not conductive, but I was wondering if
> there would be a problem with leaving any stray pieces in the monitor
> if it is powered on.
>
> The difficult part is getting to the peanuts between the back of the
> tube and the shield, and the only option I see is taking the monitor
> apart, which would be a major PITA.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

> I know that the peanuts are not conductive, but I was wondering if
> there would be a problem with leaving any stray pieces in the monitor
> if it is powered on.

I know that peanuts can cling to one another and to other things in the
right conditions, so I'd try to get them all out...

Matt

:
: I know that the peanuts are not conductive, but I was wondering if
: there would be a problem with leaving any stray pieces in the monitor
: if it is powered on.

They're not conductive but the white ones will hold a static charge, which
they will pick up from the high voltage corona on the tube when powered up.

: The difficult part is getting to the peanuts between the back of the
: tube and the shield, and the only option I see is taking the monitor
: apart, which would be a major PITA.

Yes... that would involve a socket set and 5 minutes of effort.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

mudmantim <mudmantim@gmail.com> wrote:
: Without having an original monitor box, is that the best way to pack
: and ship a monitor, with packing peanuts?
:
: Or the expansion foam?
:
: Double box?
:
: I have stayed away from selling monitors because of being afraid of a
: broken monitor arriving at the buyer's house.
:
: Who is the best to use when shipping them, UPS, FedEx, etc.?

Pull off the neck board.
Line a small box with foam and put it on the neck
Bag the monitor to keep peanuts out
Line the box with foam so the monitor can't move much.
Fill out the extra space with peanuts

Double box if your foam isn't very thick. or if you don't trust your
shipper :)

Monitors ship from the factory in a single box with ~4" styrafoam.