New Video Card Problems: is it the PSU?

twanto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
I just upgraded to a GF6600GT AGP from a GF4200ti (300/600oc). Now I am getting BSODs with memory errors among other things. HL2 plays a bit choppy and Doom3 won't even load. I have plugged in the additional molex power to the card. My system is an overclocked mobile XP and I've tried settings between 11x 200 and 210 to reduce power consumption but I still get the errors. Here are some other relavent specs:

-Antec 350W PSU (rails:watts- 5:35, 12:16, 3.3:28)
-Abit NF7-S v2.0
-PC3200 OCZ platinum @ 200 1.78volts (tried upping voltage didn't help)
-3 CD/DVD drives (unplugged one to reduce power)
-2 7200rpm hard drives
-Tried AGP aperture at 128 and 64
-Uninstalled old drivers, and reinstalled new ones for new card

I am overloading my PSU? Or do you think something else is the problem. I haven't had these problems with the old card and I haven't changed anything besides the video card. Please help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could be overloading the power supply. The best way to tell would be to monitor voltages while playing a game.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pauldh

Illustrious
Reset things back to stock speeds and voltages, and disconnect another optical and if possible HDD too. The retest as it should be drawing alot less power then. If it's fine, you know the new vidio card isn't the issue. Now try Overclocking again in stages with as many drives disconnected as possible. The increased MHz and voltages of overclocking paired with all those drives and the new video card surely may be an overload. But testing this sepratley and making sure the new card/drivers is fine first will let you know if it is a PS that you need or not. You may have been close to stressing the PS before and the 6600GT needs more juice than the old card.

MSI K8N Neo2 platinum, A64 3000+, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pauldh on 11/27/04 08:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

twanto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
Well I disconnected all my optical drives, decreased speed, and changed the molex attached to the GPU so that is all that line is hooked up to. Now HL2 or 3dmark05 won't even load. When I hooked it up, I had to change the molex I connected it to just to get the thing to display. Does this indicate it is indeed the PSU, or does it add confusion because I reduced my load and am getting worse problems?

The BSODs I get are related to the nvidia display driver because that is what it says. Also, I will try to see if my CPU is just insufficiently powered by adjusting the voltage. Some settings it just does not like.

Also, if I do need a new PSU, what should I look for in it besides a high combined wattage.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by twanto on 11/27/04 02:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Delete your driver, run driver / cab cleaner (info at guru3d.com) install a diffrent driver from nvidia or guru3d.com (as long as its diffrent than the one you were using). If things work with the new driver then you know the old one was the problem, if not its probably the card.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT