Very specific hang-up issue

I've searched the forum comprehensively before posting this because I'm
sure there have been similar issues, but I have troubleshooted
(troubleshot?) this to the point where it has come down to a few
possibilities.

Windows XP freezes when I attempt to multi-task too many things at
once. For instance, one thing I have gotten it to crash on many times
is running Bit Torrent in the background and playing a Windows Media
video file at full screen. This always causes a complete freeze-up
within 15 minutes.

I have followed every 'freezing up' tutorial available on the internet
and eliminated the following possible causes:

Spyware
A virus
A peripheral
Overheating
Virtual memory/paging file size
Processes/programs running in the background
Bad RAM (I have a stick of 512 that I have traded out, system still
freezes)
Bad BIOS (I have flashed it)

These are what I believe to still be possible culprits. Keep in mind
this system was built from the ground up by someone else:

Some memory/cache/BIOS setting I am not familiar with
A faulty processor (Celeron 2.6)
A faulty MOBO (PM800-M2, which looks to be a very cheap MOBO)
A faulty HD (WD 40 GB)

When shopping at the store, I was talking to a person about the issue
(not an employee), and he said it might have something to do with my
'cache'. The conversation was disrupted before I could get any more
information about this.

Like I said, this only occurs when I am trying to do several things at
once, that's why it leads me to believe it is some kind of memory
issue. I can leave the system for 24 hours straight doing one task
(like D/Ling) and not have any issues.

Thanks for your help in advance.

-Matt

--
mattloaf1

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Slow Processor
slow (or weak) memory
lack of memory
Virus Infection

Can you really post some SPECIFIC Information as to your computer system?
Make, Model, CPU, Memory (size and amount), Versions of Upgrades (SP1,
SP2,etc), DSL or Dial-UP, Size of hard drive, virtual memroy settings.
This information will really help solve the problems for you.

"mattloaf1" <mattloaf1.1pmgtr@no-mx.forums.eyo.com.au> wrote in message

> I've searched the forum comprehensively before posting this because I'm
> sure there have been similar issues, but I have troubleshooted
> (troubleshot?) this to the point where it has come down to a few
> possibilities.
>
> Windows XP freezes when I attempt to multi-task too many things at
> once. For instance, one thing I have gotten it to crash on many times
> is running Bit Torrent in the background and playing a Windows Media
> video file at full screen. This always causes a complete freeze-up
> within 15 minutes.
>
> I have followed every 'freezing up' tutorial available on the internet
> and eliminated the following possible causes:
>
> Spyware
> A virus
> A peripheral
> Overheating
> Virtual memory/paging file size
> Processes/programs running in the background
> Bad RAM (I have a stick of 512 that I have traded out, system still
> freezes)
> Bad BIOS (I have flashed it)
>
> These are what I believe to still be possible culprits. Keep in mind
> this system was built from the ground up by someone else:
>
> Some memory/cache/BIOS setting I am not familiar with
> A faulty processor (Celeron 2.6)
> A faulty MOBO (PM800-M2, which looks to be a very cheap MOBO)
> A faulty HD (WD 40 GB)
>
> When shopping at the store, I was talking to a person about the issue
> (not an employee), and he said it might have something to do with my
> 'cache'. The conversation was disrupted before I could get any more
> information about this.
>
> Like I said, this only occurs when I am trying to do several things at
> once, that's why it leads me to believe it is some kind of memory
> issue. I can leave the system for 24 hours straight doing one task
> (like D/Ling) and not have any issues.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
>
> -Matt
>

> --
> mattloaf1

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Sounds like you have enough to make that thing run well.
Are you getting any errors in the Event Manager?? If you aren't getting any
errors at around that time (15 minutes) it hangs, then I would do a through
spyware scan and a GOOD virus scan on it. If that doesn't help,
I would scan for lost or missing system files (start, run, type in: cdm
SFC /SCANNOW)
Still slow after all that, then back up your important files, pop in the XP
CD, boot to it and reformat and install a new set of Windows on it.

Jack Wrote:
> Slow Processor
> slow (or weak) memory
> lack of memory
> Virus Infection
>
> Can you really post some SPECIFIC Information as to your computer
> system?
> Make, Model, CPU, Memory (size and amount), Versions of Upgrades (SP1,
> SP2,etc), DSL or Dial-UP, Size of hard drive, virtual memroy settings.
> This information will really help solve the problems for you.

2.6 Celeron
PM800-M2 board (built for up to 800 Mhz FSB, P4, but manual insists
will accept Celerons)
512 RAM, one stick, DDR 400 Mhz Kingston (same result with other RAM
swapped in)
Windows XP Pro SP 2
Virtual Memory 680 MB
40 GB West. Dig. HD
Wi-fi card
ethernet card
modem
PSU is 350 W.. others have suggested this may not be enough, or that a
faulty PSU might be the culprit.

PC was built from scratch by a non-friend (last time I buy off
Craigslist).

--
mattloaf1