XP Home asking for passwords which were never set!!

Hi All,
This morning I started my computer running XP Home, and it
asked me to enter my password, which I have never set!! I tried just
pressing return (i.e. assuming a blank default pass), and various other
options to no avail.

I started in safe mode and tried to log in as admin, but it was
the same story - incorrect password.

I assume this is some sort of virus because the computer has
certainly NEVER had a password set on it!!

Can anyone suggest anything, it's very annoying... maybe I
could install XP onto another partition and access my data from there,
then reinstall the lot? is that a major hassle?

Would rather hack into it somehow....

--
Masalai

Not a 100% certain myself but try these suggestion that were posted in
another xp newsgroup:

Posting from Carey Frisch - MVP

Lost, Forgotten, or Expired Passwords:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/lostpass.htm ;

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

Windows XP Key is a program to reset Windows XP security
if Administrator password, secure boot password or key disk is lost.
http://www.lostpassword.com/windows-xp-2000-nt.htm ;

Forgot your admin password?

Steve