Can't find restore disk but have CD key

Hi,

After moving home we cannot find our restore disk, but the cd key is stuck
on the back of the machine. E-Machines e420.I am unable to open links in
explorer, and on frontpage I cannot use autoshapes or wordart. I would like
to re-install as I obviously have a prob.Would any Win XP disk allow me to
enter my own key or is the key unique to each disk?

Thanks for any assistance

t.

The key isn't unique to the disk and you should be able to use it with any
oem copy of XP Home Edition (if you have to buy one they retail at about £70
from your local computer store and you'll get a new key anyway). Have you
tried calling E-machines to see if they'll send out a replacement cd? They
may charge you for this but it might work out cheaper.

Steve

"thumbo" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After moving home we cannot find our restore disk, but the cd key is stuck
> on the back of the machine. E-Machines e420.I am unable to open links in
> explorer, and on frontpage I cannot use autoshapes or wordart. I would like
> to re-install as I obviously have a prob.Would any Win XP disk allow me to
> enter my own key or is the key unique to each disk?
>
> Thanks for any assistance
>
> t.

Your key is OEM, it will NOT work with a retail copy of XP. Retail and
oem keys are different.
It will work with an e-machines oem disk, and there is about a 50/50
chance that it may work with another oem's disk (Dell, HP etc)