Hi

I don't know how I did it but my computer suddenly started trying to
"search" when clicking on a shortcut i.e. My Documents (desktop shortcut)
would open up the "Search Files & Folders" window. I have managed to change
that back to actually opening up the desired location but trying to open a
file within that location results in all opening in new windows rather than
in the same window. I have checked the folder options and this is set to
"open in same window" but it doesn't seem to be following that command. I
usually end up with a dozen or so "new windows" open and it is getting really
annoying!!

I would appreciate some advice on getting things to how they should be.

--
Ta!

Country Boy

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
(Tip from David Candy)

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Country Boy" <CountryBoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I don't know how I did it but my computer suddenly started trying to
> "search" when clicking on a shortcut i.e. My Documents (desktop shortcut)
> would open up the "Search Files & Folders" window. I have managed to
> change
> that back to actually opening up the desired location but trying to open a
> file within that location results in all opening in new windows rather
> than
> in the same window. I have checked the folder options and this is set to
> "open in same window" but it doesn't seem to be following that command. I
> usually end up with a dozen or so "new windows" open and it is getting
> really
> annoying!!
>
> I would appreciate some advice on getting things to how they should be.
>
> --
> Ta!
>
> Country Boy

Thankyou so much for that advice. I was having the same problem, and your
solution worked immediately.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
> (Tip from David Candy)
>
> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Country Boy" <CountryBoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I don't know how I did it but my computer suddenly started trying to
> > "search" when clicking on a shortcut i.e. My Documents (desktop shortcut)
> > would open up the "Search Files & Folders" window. I have managed to
> > change
> > that back to actually opening up the desired location but trying to open a
> > file within that location results in all opening in new windows rather
> > than
> > in the same window. I have checked the folder options and this is set to
> > "open in same window" but it doesn't seem to be following that command. I
> > usually end up with a dozen or so "new windows" open and it is getting
> > really
> > annoying!!
> >
> > I would appreciate some advice on getting things to how they should be.
> >
> > --
> > Ta!
> >
> > Country Boy

You're welcome. Kudos to David.