System Restore-can't go back 1 day HELP HELP HELP

I hope I can get help here.

My problem is this. My computer has 2 hard drives. One of them was not being
recognized. I checked all of the connections, turned on the computer and it
booted to a different desktop display, and had old icons on it. Not the
current one.
(I have used restore before and had no problems)
I went to system restore and tried to go back to a day earlier, thinking I
would be in the right place. I was restored back to my desktop from Oct.
2004. Not where I want to be.

How can I get back to 0900 on May 24, 2005???

I have lost data and many important things.

I really need some help. PLEASE...if any one can help, great or guide me to
where I might get the help would be greatly appreciated.
--
Thank you so much, Mike
9 answers Last reply

    Thanks for the reply.

    I have tried that and I am currently at the last restore date, which was
    yesterday at 11:47 AM, with the Oct display.

    What can I do just to go back 1 day?

    A lot of info has taken place since Oct and now it is gone???

    I have to do more.
    --
    Thank you so much, Mike

    "Raztax" wrote:

    If a restore point was not made the previous day you cannot "go back" one
    day. Only "bold" dates on the restore calendar are usable. One XP's
    default restore behavior is to create a restore point every 24 hours,
    however it may or may not do so providing a reason for routinely manually
    creating restore points prior to taking any action(s).

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

    Thanks Al.
    It seems that this system is not making any restore points automatically.
    It is also sounding like I am screwed here.
    There must be a way to get me back in time (LOL) to the 24th. Just too much
    at stake here to loose it all. Please comment.
    --
    Thank you so much, Mike

    "mikerapolas" <mrapolas@tampabay.rr.com(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > Thanks Al.
    > It seems that this system is not making any restore points automatically.
    > It is also sounding like I am screwed here.
    > There must be a way to get me back in time (LOL) to the 24th. Just too
    > much
    > at stake here to loose it all. Please comment.
    > --
    > Thank you so much, Mike

    If you haven't deleted any files you haven't lost it all. You may have lost
    the registry settings and some system files but your data should be safe.
    You should be backing up that data now before going any farther. The worst
    case scenario is a reformat, reinstall windows and programs, restore data.
    If you continue trying to fix things it may get worse. If you are sure
    System Restore won't work and you have your data backed up then it's time to
    start looking at other alternatives. Run chdsk /f. You'll have to let it run
    on the next startup. Try a repair install. But above all backup your data
    now!

    Kerry

    > "Al Romanosky" wrote:
    >
    >> If a restore point was not made the previous day you cannot "go back" one
    >> day. Only "bold" dates on the restore calendar are usable. One XP's
    >> default restore behavior is to create a restore point every 24 hours,
    >> however it may or may not do so providing a reason for routinely manually
    >> creating restore points prior to taking any action(s).
    >>
    >> --
    >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    >> Myers, FL
    >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    It really amazes me how many people expect their opersting system to do
    everything for them.
    If you want a restore point from each and every day, then make one
    every day.
    system restore is like hindsight, when it's time to use it, it's
    already to late.

    This may be out in left field - but in your post you state "My computer has
    2 hard drives. One of them was not being
    recognized. I checked all of the connections, turned on the computer and
    ....." Which was not recognized (C, D)? Did you reverse the drive
    connections? Finally, I take it that one of the drives was the original
    drive on the computer. Now the crazy questions - was (is) XP installed on
    both drives, for example did you "copy" an old drive to a new drive? Is it
    possible you are booting from the old (original) drive?

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

    Raz

    I do not expect my system to do everything for me. What I do expect though
    is that whatever is installed into a system to work properly, or as
    advertised.
    Since you are much more a wiz than I, I would expect help for us computer
    systems challenged instead of being put down.
    If system restore makes an automatic restore point every day, than it should
    show it every day. It does not. So is the software screwed up or am I? Also,
    I guess this is a machine and has no mind that is why thew screw up and there
    are supposed to be experts to fix the problems created. Don't get me wrong, I
    appreciate any and all help I can get. So please don't put me down because
    you are more knowledgable than I.

    Al,

    It is booting from the C drive which is the original. I am not sure about
    the D drive.
    But the C is being monitered and the D is not. Is there something I can do?

    Again thanks for everyones help and keep it coming.
    --
    Thank you so much, Mike

    "Raztax" wrote:

    > It really amazes me how many people expect their opersting system to do
    > everything for them.
    > If you want a restore point from each and every day, then make one
    > every day.
    > system restore is like hindsight, when it's time to use it, it's
    > already to late.

    Mike take Reponses with the proverbial "grain of salt" - To have drive "D"
    monitored follow the trail:

    All programs>Accessories>System tools>System restore - select the option
    "System Restore Settings" shown in the right side panel.

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

System Restore Windows XP