XP restore from OEM CD's

I have an older emachine computer with XP home edition. The computer is
highly infected with viruses and now it will not load windows ( the windows
splash screen comes up but then it continuously reboots). The OS was updated
to SP2. I want to reload/ restore the windows XP from the restore CD’s. I
have replaced the original CD drive with a Kypermedia 52X . When I boot the
computer with the restore disk in the CD drive it looks like it is reading it
( the CD drive light comes on ) but it does not run . I downloaded the
windows XP ( no SP) boot disks ( floppys) from microsoft and tried to boot
from them. When it gets to disk #3 , the message “ pciide.sys is corrupt “
appears and the boot-up aborts. How can I reinstall Windows XP on this
machine ? Do I need to reformat the drive ? I don’t care about losing data or
files. I just want a clean start !

You could boot the machine using a Win98se, ( http://www.bootdisk.com/ ,
select the CD support option and then install from the CD.
I would recommend a lowlwvel format using fdisk to delete the existing
partition. The XP instal will give you the option to re-format the drive as
part of its own process.

Nick

"dlbair55" <dlbair55@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an older emachine computer with XP home edition. The computer is
> highly infected with viruses and now it will not load windows ( the
> windows
> splash screen comes up but then it continuously reboots). The OS was
> updated
> to SP2. I want to reload/ restore the windows XP from the restore CD's. I
> have replaced the original CD drive with a Kypermedia 52X . When I boot
> the
> computer with the restore disk in the CD drive it looks like it is reading
> it
> ( the CD drive light comes on ) but it does not run . I downloaded the
> windows XP ( no SP) boot disks ( floppys) from microsoft and tried to
> boot
> from them. When it gets to disk #3 , the message " pciide.sys is corrupt
> "
> appears and the boot-up aborts. How can I reinstall Windows XP on this
> machine ? Do I need to reformat the drive ? I don't care about losing data
> or
> files. I just want a clean start !

Should I use any switches "/" with fdisk ? I have never used a restore CD
before. Is it an interactive process like a normal install CD ?

"NikkJ" wrote:

> You could boot the machine using a Win98se, ( http://www.bootdisk.com/ ,
> select the CD support option and then install from the CD.
> I would recommend a lowlwvel format using fdisk to delete the existing
> partition. The XP instal will give you the option to re-format the drive as
> part of its own process.
>
> Nick
>

> "dlbair55" <dlbair55@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an older emachine computer with XP home edition. The computer is
> > highly infected with viruses and now it will not load windows ( the
> > windows
> > splash screen comes up but then it continuously reboots). The OS was
> > updated
> > to SP2. I want to reload/ restore the windows XP from the restore CD's. I
> > have replaced the original CD drive with a Kypermedia 52X . When I boot
> > the
> > computer with the restore disk in the CD drive it looks like it is reading
> > it
> > ( the CD drive light comes on ) but it does not run . I downloaded the
> > windows XP ( no SP) boot disks ( floppys) from microsoft and tried to
> > boot
> > from them. When it gets to disk #3 , the message " pciide.sys is corrupt
> > "
> > appears and the boot-up aborts. How can I reinstall Windows XP on this
> > machine ? Do I need to reformat the drive ? I don't care about losing data
> > or
> > files. I just want a clean start !

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

dlbair55 wrote:
> I have an older emachine computer with XP home edition. The computer is
> highly infected with viruses and now it will not load windows ( the windows
> splash screen comes up but then it continuously reboots). The OS was updated
> to SP2. I want to reload/ restore the windows XP from the restore CD's. I
> have replaced the original CD drive with a Kypermedia 52X . When I boot the
> computer with the restore disk in the CD drive it looks like it is reading it
> ( the CD drive light comes on ) but it does not run . I downloaded the
> windows XP ( no SP) boot disks ( floppys) from microsoft and tried to boot
> from them. When it gets to disk #3 , the message " pciide.sys is corrupt "
> appears and the boot-up aborts. How can I reinstall Windows XP on this
> machine ? Do I need to reformat the drive ? I don't care about losing data or
> files. I just want a clean start !

I would download the boot disks again. It appears that #3 is
probably corrupt. I've had this before when downloading
floppies in a similar situation.

Another thing you could try is to ensure that the original
disk is clean and hs no scratches.

Cheers,

Cliff