Dell Latitude does not react to BIOS requests during Boot.

Last response: in Computer Brands
March 10, 2005 4:22:44 PM

Hi Group,
i have purchased a used Dell Latitude.
It works fine, but i cannot get into the BIOS, the machine just ignores all
FN-ESC or CTRL-F2 keys and boots as usual from the HD.
It is not a password issue, i do not even have a chance to be asked for...

Has anyone an idea, what happened?
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 4:22:45 PM

When you see the Dell logo, press F2
"Michel Firholz" <michel.firholz@web.de> wrote in message
news:D 0pebo$qju$1@mail1.sbs.de...
> Hi Group,
> i have purchased a used Dell Latitude.
> It works fine, but i cannot get into the BIOS, the machine just ignores
> all FN-ESC or CTRL-F2 keys and boots as usual from the HD.
> It is not a password issue, i do not even have a chance to be asked for...
>
> Has anyone an idea, what happened?

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:31:31 AM

> "Michel Firholz" <michel.firholz@web.de> wrote in message
> news:D 0pebo$qju$1@mail1.sbs.de...
>> Hi Group,
>> i have purchased a used Dell Latitude.
>> It works fine, but i cannot get into the BIOS, the machine just ignores
>> all FN-ESC or CTRL-F2 keys and boots as usual from the HD.
>> It is not a password issue, i do not even have a chance to be asked
>> for...

anyone an idea, what happened?

> When you see the Dell logo, press F2

That is exactly on what it does NOT react!
I tried almost everything during the boot phase with the Dell logo,
F2, Fn SETUP, ESC, CRTL F2, F12... no reaction, the laptop boots straight
forward from the CD.

Has anyone got a clue?

Thanks
Michel
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 11, 2005 11:31:32 AM

Remove the CD then try
"Michel Firholz" <michel.firholz@web.de> wrote in message
news:D 0rhlo$nu6$1@mail1.sbs.de...

>> "Michel Firholz" <michel.firholz@web.de> wrote in message
>> news:D 0pebo$qju$1@mail1.sbs.de...
>>> Hi Group,
>>> i have purchased a used Dell Latitude.
>>> It works fine, but i cannot get into the BIOS, the machine just ignores
>>> all FN-ESC or CTRL-F2 keys and boots as usual from the HD.
>>> It is not a password issue, i do not even have a chance to be asked
>>> for...
>>>
> anyone an idea, what happened?
>>>

>> When you see the Dell logo, press F2
>>

> That is exactly on what it does NOT react!
> I tried almost everything during the boot phase with the Dell logo,
> F2, Fn SETUP, ESC, CRTL F2, F12... no reaction, the laptop boots straight
> forward from the CD.
>
> Has anyone got a clue?
>
> Thanks
> Michel

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:40:12 PM

"Michel Firholz" <michel.firholz@web.de> wrote:

>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote

>> "Michel Firholz" <michel.firholz@web.de> wrote

>>> i have purchased a used Dell Latitude.
>>> It works fine, but i cannot get into the BIOS, the machine just ignores
>>> all FN-ESC or CTRL-F2 keys and boots as usual from the HD.
>>> It is not a password issue, i do not even have a chance to be asked
>>> for...

>> When you see the Dell logo, press F2

>That is exactly on what it does NOT react!
>I tried almost everything during the boot phase with the Dell logo,
>F2, Fn SETUP, ESC, CRTL F2, F12... no reaction, the laptop boots straight
>forward from the CD.

Never had a laptop, Dell or otherwise, but DEL has always worked
on every desktop I've ever had. You haven't included that in any
of your lists. Failing that though, WSZsr's suggestion on
forcing a keyboard error sounds worthy of a try.
--
OJ III
March 11, 2005 1:40:13 PM

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

> "Michel Firholz" <michel.firholz@web.de> wrote:
>
> >"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote
>
> >> "Michel Firholz" <michel.firholz@web.de> wrote

> >> When you see the Dell logo, press F2
>
> >That is exactly on what it does NOT react!
> >I tried almost everything during the boot phase with the Dell logo,
> >F2, Fn SETUP, ESC, CRTL F2, F12... no reaction, the laptop boots straight
> >forward from the CD.
>
> Never had a laptop, Dell or otherwise, but DEL has always worked
> on every desktop I've ever had. You haven't included that in any
> of your lists. Failing that though, WSZsr's suggestion on
> forcing a keyboard error sounds worthy of a try.

Have you run any diagnostics, to see if your F2 key is even working?

Notan
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:50:56 PM

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Michel Firholz" <michel.firholz@web.de> wrote in message
> news:D 0rhlo$nu6$1@mail1.sbs.de...
>> That is exactly on what it does NOT react!
>> I tried almost everything during the boot phase with the Dell logo,
>> F2, Fn SETUP, ESC, CRTL F2, F12... no reaction, the laptop boots straight
>> forward from the CD.
>>
>> Has anyone got a clue?
>>
> Remove the CD then try

Ooops! I made a typo, i wanted to write:
F2, Fn SETUP, ESC, CRTL F2, F12... no reaction, the laptop boots straight
forward from the **HD**.
That is my problem, i cannot get it to boot from the CD, because i never can
get into the BIOS!
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:50:57 PM

"Michel Firholz" <michel.firholz@web.de> wrote:
>F2, Fn SETUP, ESC, CRTL F2, F12... no reaction, the laptop boots straight
>forward from the **HD**.

You aren't using an external keyboard, are you?
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:34:43 PM

Hold two or three keys down as you boot and keep them down until you get an
error message.

"Michel Firholz" <michel.firholz@web.de> wrote in message
news:D 0rpr5$6oj$1@mail1.sbs.de...
> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "Michel Firholz" <michel.firholz@web.de> wrote in message
>> news:D 0rhlo$nu6$1@mail1.sbs.de...
>>> That is exactly on what it does NOT react!
>>> I tried almost everything during the boot phase with the Dell logo,
>>> F2, Fn SETUP, ESC, CRTL F2, F12... no reaction, the laptop boots
>>> straight forward from the CD.
>>>
>>> Has anyone got a clue?
>>>
>> Remove the CD then try
>
> Ooops! I made a typo, i wanted to write:
> F2, Fn SETUP, ESC, CRTL F2, F12... no reaction, the laptop boots straight
> forward from the **HD**.
> That is my problem, i cannot get it to boot from the CD, because i never
> can get into the BIOS!

March 11, 2005 6:57:12 PM

"> That is my problem, i cannot get it to boot from the CD, because i never
can
> get into the BIOS!

If you want to Boot from the CD then hit F12 at the dell logo

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 7:02:28 PM

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Michel Firholz" <michel.firholz@web.de> wrote:
>>F2, Fn SETUP, ESC, CRTL F2, F12... no reaction, the laptop boots straight
>>forward from the **HD**.
>
> You aren't using an external keyboard, are you?

No, just the plain notebook Keyboard...
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 7:08:36 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:22:44 +0100, Michel Firholz <michel.firholz@web.de> wrote:
> Hi Group,
> i have purchased a used Dell Latitude.
> It works fine, but i cannot get into the BIOS, the machine just ignores all
> FN-ESC or CTRL-F2 keys and boots as usual from the HD.
> It is not a password issue, i do not even have a chance to be asked for...

> Has anyone an idea, what happened?

You don't mention which Latitude model, but every Dell I've had
responds to F2 (not ctrl-F2) during the BIOS screen.

Another poster suggested generating a keyboard error by holding down a
few keys during power up. That might also work.

If neither works, physically remove the hard drive (usually one
screw needs to be removed, then slide out the hard drive), remove any
floppy disk (_not_ the drive), any CD (_not_ the drive), then turn the
power on.

From whom did you purchase this laptop?

--
Dale Dellutri <ddelQQQlutr@panQQQix.com> (lose the Q's)
Anonymous

Dale Dellutri" <ddelQQQlutr@panQQQix.com> wrote in message
news:D 0sfq4$85q$1@reader1.panix.com...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:22:44 +0100, Michel Firholz <michel.firholz@web.de>
> wrote:
>> Hi Group,
>> i have purchased a used Dell Latitude.
>> It works fine, but i cannot get into the BIOS, the machine just ignores
>> all
>> FN-ESC or CTRL-F2 keys and boots as usual from the HD.
>> It is not a password issue, i do not even have a chance to be asked
>> for...
>
>> Has anyone an idea, what happened?
>
> You don't mention which Latitude model, but every Dell I've had
> responds to F2 (not ctrl-F2) during the BIOS screen.

unfortunately not mine. :-(

> Another poster suggested generating a keyboard error by holding down a
> few keys during power up. That might also work.

I tried that, o just got a hoorible sequence of beeps and the laptop booted
as usual... :-(

> If neither works, physically remove the hard drive (usually one
> screw needs to be removed, then slide out the hard drive), remove any
> floppy disk (_not_ the drive), any CD (_not_ the drive), then turn the
> power on.
finally that did help, thank you.
The funny thing is that it has a french keyboard, the setup key is under F1
maybe that's the thing.
but never mind, i got into the BOIS and can boot from the CD now.
Thak you everyone...

Michel
!