XP Home -freeze up

my PC screen keeps freezing up - no crashes - just freezes with mouse
pinter and screen locked... CTRL/ALT/DEL does nothing...I have to press
RESET to do warm boot...

Have checked CPU - motherboard - HD temps -AOK
Extensive RaM testing - AOK
Latest graphic card driver - AOK
No viruses /trojans/etc.... AOK

....I've got XP Home with all latest upgrades and SP2

all software works fine... just this intermittent FREEZe (sometimes
once or twice a day - sometimes more - sometimes goeas all day with no
freeze....?)

Can freeze at anytime while working....

Was thinking about reinstalling XP over existing XP - (don't really
want to re-format and re-install everything..)

Is this WISE ? - Is it worth it ??
3 answers Last reply
More about home freeze

    Don't need to format or reinstall. there is a recoverytool that fixes problem
    like registry, try using it.
    Reboot hit F8..... follow steps for recovery mode.
    First try this
    start>run>sfc /scannow
    --
    ---------------------------------------
    http://www.fast-rewind.com

    "advid" wrote:

    > my PC screen keeps freezing up - no crashes - just freezes with mouse
    > pinter and screen locked... CTRL/ALT/DEL does nothing...I have to press
    > RESET to do warm boot...
    >
    > Have checked CPU - motherboard - HD temps -AOK
    > Extensive RaM testing - AOK
    > Latest graphic card driver - AOK
    > No viruses /trojans/etc.... AOK
    >
    > ....I've got XP Home with all latest upgrades and SP2
    >
    > all software works fine... just this intermittent FREEZe (sometimes
    > once or twice a day - sometimes more - sometimes goeas all day with no
    > freeze....?)
    >
    > Can freeze at anytime while working....
    >
    > Was thinking about reinstalling XP over existing XP - (don't really
    > want to re-format and re-install everything..)
    >
    > Is this WISE ? - Is it worth it ??

    Try turning off Windows Update and any update program that accesses the net
    automatically. I had exactly the same problem - same system.

    "Nicoliani â„¢" wrote:

    > Don't need to format or reinstall. there is a recoverytool that fixes problem
    > like registry, try using it.
    > Reboot hit F8..... follow steps for recovery mode.
    > First try this
    > start>run>sfc /scannow
    > http://www.fast-rewind.com
    > ---------------------------------------
    >

    > "advid" wrote:
    >
    > > my PC screen keeps freezing up - no crashes - just freezes with mouse
    > > pinter and screen locked... CTRL/ALT/DEL does nothing...I have to press
    > > RESET to do warm boot...
    > >
    > > Have checked CPU - motherboard - HD temps -AOK
    > > Extensive RaM testing - AOK
    > > Latest graphic card driver - AOK
    > > No viruses /trojans/etc.... AOK
    > >
    > > ....I've got XP Home with all latest upgrades and SP2
    > >
    > > all software works fine... just this intermittent FREEZe (sometimes
    > > once or twice a day - sometimes more - sometimes goeas all day with no
    > > freeze....?)
    > >
    > > Can freeze at anytime while working....
    > >
    > > Was thinking about reinstalling XP over existing XP - (don't really
    > > want to re-format and re-install everything..)
    > >
    > > Is this WISE ? - Is it worth it ??

    ....my computer can freeze up at any time of the day (my update is automatic
    and set to 3-00pm)... would this still have an effect ..???

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    > Try turning off Windows Update and any update program that accesses the
    > net
    > automatically. I had exactly the same problem - same system.
    >
    > "Nicoliani â„¢" wrote:
    >

    >> ---------------------------------------
    >>

    >> "advid" wrote:
    >>
    >> > my PC screen keeps freezing up - no crashes - just freezes with mouse
    >> > pinter and screen locked... CTRL/ALT/DEL does nothing...I have to press
    >> > RESET to do warm boot...
    >> >
    >> > Have checked CPU - motherboard - HD temps -AOK
    >> > Extensive RaM testing - AOK
    >> > Latest graphic card driver - AOK
    >> > No viruses /trojans/etc.... AOK
    >> >
    >> > ....I've got XP Home with all latest upgrades and SP2
    >> >
    >> > all software works fine... just this intermittent FREEZe (sometimes
    >> > once or twice a day - sometimes more - sometimes goeas all day with no
    >> > freeze....?)
    >> >
    >> > Can freeze at anytime while working....
    >> >
    >> > Was thinking about reinstalling XP over existing XP - (don't really
    >> > want to re-format and re-install everything..)
    >> >
    >> > Is this WISE ? - Is it worth it ??

Windows XP