Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Can anyone please tell me what the above means? I often get this after a
reboot and it seems to wreck my taskbar, in that it reduces the taskbar
to a narrow strip (I usually have it at double height) and also, it
seems to lose some icons from my system tray.
I can offer lots of Events from event viewer if needed. I'm just about
to do a repair instal of XPHomeSP2.
Thanks.
--
gillie

Hi Rosie,

This may be do to a Windows update issue.
FIX: DBCS attachment file names are not displayed in Rich Text e-mail
messages and you may receive a "Generic Host Process" error message
after you install security update MS05-012
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/894391?

If this doesn't work, you may want to check this link out.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12226.0
--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

In message <OhojHUgYFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Bert Kinney
<bert@NSmvps.org> writes
>Hi Rosie,
>
>This may be do to a Windows update issue.
>FIX: DBCS attachment file names are not displayed in Rich Text e-mail
>messages and you may receive a "Generic Host Process" error message
>after you install security update MS05-012
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/894391?
>
>If this doesn't work, you may want to check this link out.
> http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12226.0
Hello Bert. More info. I started to get these errors when I installed
Panda internet Security on XPHome SP2 on a new notebook. It wasn't till
I removed Panda and installed AVG Free that they stop
Thanks.ped.
I have been using Panda on another notebook for about 9 months without
getting these errors. I'm wondering if the Recovery XP disk was the
cause? Perhaps one of the included updates from SP1 to SP2?
The link to Avast was interesting. I don't know if KB873333 is on my
disk, I haven't downloaded any updates since the instal of XP.
--
gillie

Glad to see you have figured it out. Must be some combination
including Panda.

--

Rosie wrote:
> In message Bert
> Kinney <bert@NSmvps.org> writes
>> Hi Rosie,
>>
>> This may be do to a Windows update issue.
>> FIX: DBCS attachment file names are not displayed in
>> Rich Text e-mail messages and you may receive a "Generic
>> Host Process" error message after you install security
>> update MS05-012
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/894391? If this
>> doesn't work, you may want to check this link
>> out. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12226.0
> Hello Bert. More info. I started to get these errors when
> I installed Panda internet Security on XPHome SP2 on a
> new notebook. It wasn't till I removed Panda and
> installed AVG Free that they stop Thanks.ped.
> I have been using Panda on another notebook for about 9
> months without getting these errors. I'm wondering if the
> Recovery XP disk was the cause? Perhaps one of the
> included updates from SP1 to SP2? The link to Avast was interesting.
> I don't know if
> KB873333 is on my disk, I haven't downloaded any updates
> since the instal of XP.

I am having this same problem, have installed the "Hotfix" for the second
time now, any suggestions?
Toni