Please help with buying laptop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazztalker

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
I'm looking at 2 identical builds, but I'm back and forth between two different things, so hopefully I can get some advice. I'll be using this for internet browsing, watching movies (downloaded and streaming), listening to music, email, Office, etc. No gaming and no video editing.

Relevant specs:

i5-3210
750 HDD/7200 RPM
1920x1080 resolution matte screen
Standard dvd drive

For the same price I can either do 8 GB RAM and the intel 4000 graphics or 6 GB RAM and the Nvidia GeForce GT 630M. Based on how I'd be using it, would there be a benefit to one pair versus the other? I'm at the top of my budget, so it's one or the other. The other option would be going with the 1366x768 display and then I could do both, but I think the higher resolution monitor would be better, wouldn't it?

Thanks!

The GT 630M is faster than i3 HD 4000, but I don't know if you'd rather have a somewhat stronger graphics card or an extra 2GB of RAM. I'd go for the graphics because 6GB is plenty, but if you're not gaming nor doing anything else graphically intense, it shouldn't really matter.

SSD, definitely SSD for your purposes. It doesn't even need to be a large one. Newegg is selling a 128GB Samsung 830 for $99.99 right now and that's the price to go for and the right SSD for a laptop (extremely low power consumption despite high performance).

However, if you care about 1080p video a lot, then having a 1080p screen makes sense.

jazztalker

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Yeah, I'm sure I'm just splitting hairs at this point. Is the upgraded display worth an extra $150 for what I'm doing, or am I better off putting that $ into something else (either now or towards an SSD in the future)?

jazztalker

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

That's why I had been leaning towards the upgraded card. What battery life impact will that have? I'm looking at an HP dv6t, and if the gpu would have a significant impact on the battery, it might not be worth it for me.

Thanks!

I don't think that the GT 630M would change battery life much. It's not much more than an HD 4000 in performance and probably not high in power consumption either. There's also the fact that Optimus should keep it from wasting power except when gaming or something similar intense. It might just be wasted hardware if you don't do anything to use it.

jazztalker

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

Is that about the "minimum" size to consider for an ssd? I know I can always use other storage means for music/movies.

jazztalker

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

I'm definitely open to suggestions. I'm not too brand loyal - I was originally considering an Asus or Toshiba, but the few Asus I've ever used had a few wonky issues and HP seemed to have better battery life than the Toshiba. I have an HP right now that I've had for about 5 years or so and it runs about as well as it did on day 1.

jazztalker

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

Cool, thanks - that's good to know.

http://www.lpc-digital.com/sager-np3260.html

With the RAM specs changed to 2x4GB (1600MHz) and the storage drive changed to the 500GB hybrid drive, this is a great ~$800 laptop with an i5-3210M, GT 630M, and other advantages.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto.do#

This HP laptop can go for a quad-core AMD DPU instead with similar graphics performance and a focus on highly threaded rather than single/dual threaded performance. Choose the A8 APU option, the 1080p display, the 9 cell battery, and it's another great option at a somewhat lower price of $730. If 1080p isn't important, then you can drop the 1080p display on this AMD laptop and save a whole $150 by going with the cheaper, lower resolution display (still more than enough for 720p video because the display is 1366x768).

Those are the first two laptops that I've found and consider great at the right price.

jazztalker

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Yeah, that's the model (the Intel version) I was considering. I'm thinking i might hold off for awhile, for what I'd use it for I'm not sure $800 is money well spent. Originally I was going to get an Asus at best buy for a little under $500 (until the sales guy suggested it might be made with lesser quality components), and suddenly my imagination ran away with my credit card.

Here's the Asus if anyone has an opinion. I'd buy more ram, but thought this might be a decent alternative otherwise.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+15.6%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Matte+Light+Covellite+Hairline/5720766.p?id=1218686491955&skuId=5720766

Status
Not open for further replies.