  • Graphics Cards
  • Windows XP
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2005 11:39:13 AM

I can't figure out what's the problem with my PC. It's Windows XP Pro,
1.5Ghz Pentium 4, 256MB SDRAM and RIVA TNT2 video card.

My problem is that my monitor just shuts off once I open huge
video-editing app like Adobe Premiere Pro. The monitor shuts off but
the CPU and keyboard lights are still on. Pressing Num Lock repeatedly
can tell me that my PC freezes. All I can do was to restart the PC by
pressing the Reset button on the CPU.

Once the PC reboots, it will just show the XP boot screen for a second
and the PC will reboot itself (again and again). Sometimes it will show
the message that gives me an option to start in Safe Mode, Last Good
Known Config, Start Windows Normally. Whatever I choose, it just reboot
itself. Sometimes, "luck" can help me pass through that boot screen and
enter Windows.

What's the problem?

More about : video card memory problem

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2005 12:11:04 PM

Use your XP cd fore a recovery (system-repaire)
--
---------------------------------------
http://www.fast-rewind.com

"tiamzy@gmail.com" wrote:

> I can't figure out what's the problem with my PC. It's Windows XP Pro,
> 1.5Ghz Pentium 4, 256MB SDRAM and RIVA TNT2 video card.
>
> My problem is that my monitor just shuts off once I open huge
> video-editing app like Adobe Premiere Pro. The monitor shuts off but
> the CPU and keyboard lights are still on. Pressing Num Lock repeatedly
> can tell me that my PC freezes. All I can do was to restart the PC by
> pressing the Reset button on the CPU.
>
> Once the PC reboots, it will just show the XP boot screen for a second
> and the PC will reboot itself (again and again). Sometimes it will show
> the message that gives me an option to start in Safe Mode, Last Good
> Known Config, Start Windows Normally. Whatever I choose, it just reboot
> itself. Sometimes, "luck" can help me pass through that boot screen and
> enter Windows.
>
> What's the problem?

May 26, 2005 2:45:01 PM

Increasing your RAM to 512mb should solve your problem.
--
Windows Beta Tester and
Programmer WNP

"tiamzy@gmail.com" wrote:

> I can't figure out what's the problem with my PC. It's Windows XP Pro,
> 1.5Ghz Pentium 4, 256MB SDRAM and RIVA TNT2 video card.
>
> My problem is that my monitor just shuts off once I open huge
> video-editing app like Adobe Premiere Pro. The monitor shuts off but
> the CPU and keyboard lights are still on. Pressing Num Lock repeatedly
> can tell me that my PC freezes. All I can do was to restart the PC by
> pressing the Reset button on the CPU.
>
> Once the PC reboots, it will just show the XP boot screen for a second
> and the PC will reboot itself (again and again). Sometimes it will show
> the message that gives me an option to start in Safe Mode, Last Good
> Known Config, Start Windows Normally. Whatever I choose, it just reboot
> itself. Sometimes, "luck" can help me pass through that boot screen and
> enter Windows.
>
> What's the problem?

Related resources
May 26, 2005 5:25:52 PM

Memory is cheap - go to 1Gb.

<tiamzy@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I can't figure out what's the problem with my PC. It's Windows XP Pro,
> 1.5Ghz Pentium 4, 256MB SDRAM and RIVA TNT2 video card.
>
> My problem is that my monitor just shuts off once I open huge
> video-editing app like Adobe Premiere Pro. The monitor shuts off but
> the CPU and keyboard lights are still on. Pressing Num Lock repeatedly
> can tell me that my PC freezes. All I can do was to restart the PC by
> pressing the Reset button on the CPU.
>
> Once the PC reboots, it will just show the XP boot screen for a second
> and the PC will reboot itself (again and again). Sometimes it will show
> the message that gives me an option to start in Safe Mode, Last Good
> Known Config, Start Windows Normally. Whatever I choose, it just reboot
> itself. Sometimes, "luck" can help me pass through that boot screen and
> enter Windows.
>
> What's the problem?

May 26, 2005 10:19:39 PM

Mabe it is because a chip on your computer migt have been corrupted or failed
to work.(ps. How long did you had your computer and were you just playing
around with the computer?)

"Jerry" wrote:

> Memory is cheap - go to 1Gb.
>
> <tiamzy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I can't figure out what's the problem with my PC. It's Windows XP Pro,
> > 1.5Ghz Pentium 4, 256MB SDRAM and RIVA TNT2 video card.
> >
> > My problem is that my monitor just shuts off once I open huge
> > video-editing app like Adobe Premiere Pro. The monitor shuts off but
> > the CPU and keyboard lights are still on. Pressing Num Lock repeatedly
> > can tell me that my PC freezes. All I can do was to restart the PC by
> > pressing the Reset button on the CPU.
> >
> > Once the PC reboots, it will just show the XP boot screen for a second
> > and the PC will reboot itself (again and again). Sometimes it will show
> > the message that gives me an option to start in Safe Mode, Last Good
> > Known Config, Start Windows Normally. Whatever I choose, it just reboot
> > itself. Sometimes, "luck" can help me pass through that boot screen and
> > enter Windows.
> >
> > What's the problem?

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 27, 2005 11:10:51 AM

The computer was purchased on Oct 2002 and it hasn't been upgraded
since then. Sometimes, I experience reboots randomly...