moving hard drive to another PC

I'm considering upgrading my PC. Is it possible to pop the HD from my old
PC (running Win XP Pro) into another machine and have it boot up, figure out
what's new in the hardware layer, and sail on smoothly?
Thanks
Timo

Hi Timo,

Normally a repair install is needed in this case.

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/

Timo wrote:
> I'm considering upgrading my PC. Is it possible to pop
> the HD from my old PC (running Win XP Pro) into another
> machine and have it boot up, figure out what's new in the
> hardware layer, and sail on smoothly?
> Thanks
> Timo

Most likely you ill be informed that the hardware has changed significantly
and XP reactivation is necessary - will also state that reactivation must be
done within THREE DAYS. Note emphasis - not the 30 days allowed by
installation of XP or a limited usage as per Office applications. You
cannot "repair" the installation. Reactivation is rather painless - if by
internet you are informed of previous activation then reactivate by phone.
If by phone be prepared to jot down one "huge" activation code.

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL

Timo wrote:
> I'm considering upgrading my PC. Is it possible to pop the HD from my old
> PC (running Win XP Pro) into another machine and have it boot up, figure out
> what's new in the hardware layer, and sail on smoothly?
> Thanks
> Timo

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before starting),
unless the new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same
IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
(a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
"tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Most likely it will boot to a BSOD ! Unless the other computer has the exact
same hardware in it.
This almost always requires a "Reinstall of Windows XP" along with
Reactivation"