Zip Drives

I'm checking out the Dell pc's, and they don't seem to have a Zip drive.
I know they used to offer it, but that seems to be gone now.

Can anyone tell me what happened to this option? My new pc will have to
have a Zip drive, all my backups are on them.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks, Hal.

"Hal Tynan" <haltynan@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I'm checking out the Dell pc's, and they don't seem to have a Zip drive.
> I know they used to offer it, but that seems to be gone now.
>
> Can anyone tell me what happened to this option? My new pc will have to
> have a Zip drive, all my backups are on them.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks, Hal.

Can't get them on Dimension anymore and maybe not on the Optiplex line
either.

Rather than give you the standard spill that Zips are outdated, slow, and
the media terribly unreliable and expensive, how about finding an external
USB Zip drive and using it with the system you choose?

They're easy enough to find:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=40-107-122&depa=1

That 250mb drive will read/use both 100mb and 250mb disks....

hth

Stew

Zip drives are pretty much history now due
to CDR/RW. The Dell 2400, 3000 and 4700
only have one 3.5" bay meant for a floppy.
The 8400 has 2 3.5" bays, so you could put one in there.
Or you could put the zip into an external USB case.

"Hal Tynan" <haltynan@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I'm checking out the Dell pc's, and they don't seem to have a Zip
> drive.
> I know they used to offer it, but that seems to be gone now.
>
> Can anyone tell me what happened to this option? My new pc will have
> have a Zip drive, all my backups are on them.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks, Hal.

I don't know what happened them, maybe just for business. At my office
all of our Dell PCs came with zip drives, including our newest ones.
We have Dell Optiplex GX240, 260 & 270s. Even our older GX110s
have them.

I know that last year Dell stopped shipping with floppy disks

Hal Tynan <haltynan@earthlink.net> wrote:
>My new pc will have to
>have a Zip drive, all my backups are on them.

How about taking the one off your old PC and putting it on your new
one just long enough to copy the data to something more reliable?
There were Zip100, Zip250, and Zip750(?) drives, but with CD-Rs at
700MB and DVD-Rs at 5 or 9(?)GB, there's probably not much point to
Zips any more.

There's a reason. Packet writing will soon make floppies, Zips and LS-120s
obsolete. Convert the data on your Zip disks to optical media while you
still can.

Ted Zieglar

"Hal Tynan" <haltynan@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I'm checking out the Dell pc's, and they don't seem to have a Zip drive.
> I know they used to offer it, but that seems to be gone now.
>
> Can anyone tell me what happened to this option? My new pc will have to
> have a Zip drive, all my backups are on them.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks, Hal.

The GX280's no longer offer Zips as an option.
Dell will sell you both internal and external
Zip drives, just won't install them.

"davinp" <dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I don't know what happened them, maybe just for business. At my office
> all of our Dell PCs came with zip drives, including our newest ones.
> We have Dell Optiplex GX240, 260 & 270s. Even our older GX110s
> have them.
>
> I know that last year Dell stopped shipping with floppy disks

Thanks to all for the suggestions, will check them out.
Maybe a computer store (e.g. Computer City) can convert them to DVD for
a fee, as another option.

Thanks again, Hal

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:52:33 -0500, "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>The GX280's no longer offer Zips as an option.
>Dell will sell you both internal and external
>Zip drives, just won't install them.
>
>"davinp" <dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>>I don't know what happened them, maybe just for business. At my office
>> all of our Dell PCs came with zip drives, including our newest ones.
>> We have Dell Optiplex GX240, 260 & 270s. Even our older GX110s
>> have them.
>>
>> I know that last year Dell stopped shipping with floppy disks

Hal Tynan <haltynan@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Maybe a computer store (e.g. Computer City) can convert them to DVD for
>a fee, as another option.

Why not use your 'old' (current?) system to convert them, or transfer
the Zip drive to your new machine?

It'll be cheaper to buy an external ZIP drive and do the conversions
yourself.

Any standard USB ZIP drive will work fine - just watch the EIDE/ATAPI
ones if you order two optical drives (the newer Dell systems 4700 and up
don't support more than two ATAPI devices internally).

Hal Tynan wrote:
> Thanks to all for the suggestions, will check them out.
> Maybe a computer store (e.g. Computer City) can convert them to DVD for
> a fee, as another option.

Mike

Splendid

What is packet writing?

Mike

"Mike" <question@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| What is packet writing?
|
| Mike

The format used for "drag and drop" recording, using an application such as
Roxio's Direct CD or other packet writing software. The data is written in
fixed or variable size packets, using Link, Run-In, and Run-Out blocks to
separate the packets.
www.plextor.com/english/news/glossary.html

--
Doug

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:44:18 GMT, "Mike" <question@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What is packet writing?
>
>Mike
>
>"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>> There's a reason. Packet writing will soon make floppies, Zips and LS-120s
>> obsolete. Convert the data on your Zip disks to optical media while you
>> still can.
>>
>> Ted Zieglar
>>
>> "Hal Tynan" <haltynan@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm checking out the Dell pc's, and they don't seem to have a Zip drive.
>>> I know they used to offer it, but that seems to be gone now.
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me what happened to this option? My new pc will have to
>>> have a Zip drive, all my backups are on them.
>>>
>>> Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks, Hal.

Why does the PC itself have to have a ZIP drive? Can't you
use an external, like Iomega?