XP and Outlook 2000

I am out of things to try. I have a user with XP Pro that is a member of a
workgroup. He dials into the network to check his email on our Exchange 5.5
server. He gets the login box for Outlook, enters his information and after
a slight pause, gets an error that the credentials are incorrect. I checked
the event viewer on the Exchange server and found that the supplied
credentials used were his full name and the computer name. That's not what
he typed in. The info the Exchange server got was from the computer name
tab. I don't know why the pc is using this info or how to make it stop.
What's more, the user is remote, I have to fix this over the phone.
2 answers Last reply
More about outlook 2000

    Have them look at IE, tools menu, Options, Security tab, "Custom Level" button, scroll down to "User Authentication"/Logon, for that
    setting.
    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "AS400 guy" <AS400 guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1955E548-3AC2-4B45-88ED-845B21132988@microsoft.com...
    >I am out of things to try. I have a user with XP Pro that is a member of a
    > workgroup. He dials into the network to check his email on our Exchange 5.5
    > server. He gets the login box for Outlook, enters his information and after
    > a slight pause, gets an error that the credentials are incorrect. I checked
    > the event viewer on the Exchange server and found that the supplied
    > credentials used were his full name and the computer name. That's not what
    > he typed in. The info the Exchange server got was from the computer name
    > tab. I don't know why the pc is using this info or how to make it stop.
    > What's more, the user is remote, I have to fix this over the phone.

    Got it. Had the user to rename his pc to our domain name, create a user
    account on the pc to match his network ID and set the account up with a
    password to match his network password. Turns out it was trying to
    authenticate with the local account and machine name. Still don't know why
    it would override the login box from the Exchange server with this info, no
    other computer/user has had this problem.

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Have them look at IE, tools menu, Options, Security tab, "Custom Level" button, scroll down to "User Authentication"/Logon, for that
    > setting.
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "AS400 guy" <AS400 guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1955E548-3AC2-4B45-88ED-845B21132988@microsoft.com...
    > >I am out of things to try. I have a user with XP Pro that is a member of a
    > > workgroup. He dials into the network to check his email on our Exchange 5.5
    > > server. He gets the login box for Outlook, enters his information and after
    > > a slight pause, gets an error that the credentials are incorrect. I checked
    > > the event viewer on the Exchange server and found that the supplied
    > > credentials used were his full name and the computer name. That's not what
    > > he typed in. The info the Exchange server got was from the computer name
    > > tab. I don't know why the pc is using this info or how to make it stop.
    > > What's more, the user is remote, I have to fix this over the phone.

Outlook 2000 Windows XP