XP and Outlook 2000

May 26, 2005 12:11:09 PM

I am out of things to try. I have a user with XP Pro that is a member of a
workgroup. He dials into the network to check his email on our Exchange 5.5
server. He gets the login box for Outlook, enters his information and after
a slight pause, gets an error that the credentials are incorrect. I checked
the event viewer on the Exchange server and found that the supplied
credentials used were his full name and the computer name. That's not what
he typed in. The info the Exchange server got was from the computer name
tab. I don't know why the pc is using this info or how to make it stop.
What's more, the user is remote, I have to fix this over the phone.

More about : outlook 2000

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 3:43:17 PM

Have them look at IE, tools menu, Options, Security tab, "Custom Level" button, scroll down to "User Authentication"/Logon, for that
setting.
--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"AS400 guy" <AS400 guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1955E548-3AC2-4B45-88ED-845B21132988@microsoft.com...
>I am out of things to try. I have a user with XP Pro that is a member of a
> workgroup. He dials into the network to check his email on our Exchange 5.5
> server. He gets the login box for Outlook, enters his information and after
> a slight pause, gets an error that the credentials are incorrect. I checked
> the event viewer on the Exchange server and found that the supplied
> credentials used were his full name and the computer name. That's not what
> he typed in. The info the Exchange server got was from the computer name
> tab. I don't know why the pc is using this info or how to make it stop.
> What's more, the user is remote, I have to fix this over the phone.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 4:09:46 PM

Got it. Had the user to rename his pc to our domain name, create a user
account on the pc to match his network ID and set the account up with a
password to match his network password. Turns out it was trying to
authenticate with the local account and machine name. Still don't know why
it would override the login box from the Exchange server with this info, no
other computer/user has had this problem.

!