Screen shimmer on various cabs

Occasionally we get screen 'shimmer' in the bottom left hand side of some of
the cabs we import. The issue is the internal step-down inside the cab
(we're UK), as if you remove it and place it right outside at the rear of
the cab, hey presto - clear screen. It also helps when the cables are
'tidied' behind the monitor. If cable tied to the side of the cab, as far
away from the monitor as possible it improves.

Is there any way to 'shield' the monitor for want of a better word, from the
effect of the transformer? Anything we could place around the transformer,
or some other fix?

Thanks

TJ

TJ,

Are you sure of the quality of the stepdowns you're using?

I've seen this on normal cabs that didn't need a stepdown at all. Most
notably my Phoenix cabaret (Trimline). When i threw the original Taito
isolation transformer away and replaced it with a brand new one the
problem went away.

Just a thought on something else it _COULD_ be.

That said, going back to your original question, i guess it should be
possible somehow so i'm interested in hearing how too.

Martin.

Hmm...

I've seen bits of cardboard, or whatever it may really be, over the top
of transformers before but i just assumed that was to stop stray coins
from falling on them and causing various issues (like fire for one!!) I
suppose there could be some mileage in trying. I'd be a bit concerned
about restricting heat flow.

Martin.

Are they running emi filters prior to the transformers? If no, try
adding them.

Is the ground tied to the rest of the cabinet components?

I don't see how a paper product could isolate emi interference. A
steel cage with a ground strap can however.

- Matt

Thanks Martin!

Well - the transformers are brand new in every cab, so they *should* be
good.

I just called a friend, who has said that in some cabs, they put a cardboard
'shield' around the transformer which seems to completely eliminate the
problem. Now whether that really is just cardboard, or something with some
other property I don't know yet, but I think it's worth repeating here to
see if there's any difference. The cab he mentioned is also an imported cab
with a step down but not one of ours.

It's interesting that you mention the Pheonix cab - has to be the same
thing.

It'd be a good one to get to the bottom of for next time!

TJ

"Martin White" <guddler@gmail.com> wrote in message
> TJ,
>
> Are you sure of the quality of the stepdowns you're using?
>
> I've seen this on normal cabs that didn't need a stepdown at all. Most
> notably my Phoenix cabaret (Trimline). When i threw the original Taito
> isolation transformer away and replaced it with a brand new one the
> problem went away.
>
> Just a thought on something else it _COULD_ be.
>
> That said, going back to your original question, i guess it should be
> possible somehow so i'm interested in hearing how too.
>
> Martin.

lol... if carboard helps someone should go do a seance and let mr. faraday
know...