Need help recovering from sysprep

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Hi,

Boy, I hope there is an easy solution to my problem.

I am running XP Pro on my home PC and I ran the sysprep tool (with no
parametes specified) in preparation for cloning the boot drive to a larger
one. After the cloning was complete I rebooted using my original drive and
ran through the mini-setup with no problems. I got to the logon screen and
saw my original 4 accounts. But when I clicked on my account "chuck" and
entered my password, the system did not log me into my old account.
Instead it created a new account chuck.werner (where Werner is the name of
my computer). It did this for all the old accounts. Also, when logged into
the newly created "chuck.werner" account I was denied access to my old
"chuck" folders (which is of course where all my important data is)

Does anyone know what's going on here and hopefully know how to fix it?

Thanks
-Chuck

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:FDE8C7B2-1158-488F-95A5-226D131EB000@microsoft.com,
Chuck <Chuck@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> Boy, I hope there is an easy solution to my problem.
>
> I am running XP Pro on my home PC and I ran the sysprep tool (with no
> parametes specified) in preparation for cloning the boot drive to a
> larger one. After the cloning was complete I rebooted using my
> original drive and ran through the mini-setup with no problems. I
> got to the logon screen and saw my original 4 accounts. But when I
> clicked on my account "chuck" and entered my password, the system did
> not log me into my old account.
> Instead it created a new account chuck.werner (where Werner is the
> name of my computer). It did this for all the old accounts. Also,
> when logged into the newly created "chuck.werner" account I was
> denied access to my old "chuck" folders (which is of course where all
> my important data is)
>
> Does anyone know what's going on here and hopefully know how to fix
> it?
>
> Thanks
> -Chuck

To get to those files:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Do not know if I can help - believe that running Sysprep without parameters
results in a change of SIDs and if it is desired to include user settings,
etc., "State Migration Tool" must be used prior to making the disk image.

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL